Bonus Points; Extra Credit

<< < (7/9) > >>

dr_alcott:
Quote from: canuckois on January 18, 2013, 12:04:16 PM

Quote from: chicago_48 on January 18, 2013, 11:47:31 AM

I'M TIRED OF STUDENTS ASKING ME MID-TERM, How can I earn extra credit. 

I don't understand.  You clearly don't want to give extra credit, so why can't you just say, "I'm sorry, but there is no extra credit for this class"?  Tell students that a few times and they'll stop asking.

Always works for me.

They ask even less now that I drop the lowest grade and they know they have a little wiggle room.

cc_alan:
Quote from: canuckois on January 18, 2013, 12:04:16 PM

Quote from: chicago_48 on January 18, 2013, 11:47:31 AM

I'M TIRED OF STUDENTS ASKING ME MID-TERM, How can I earn extra credit. 

I don't understand.  You clearly don't want to give extra credit, so why can't you just say, "I'm sorry, but there is no extra credit for this class"?  Tell students that a few times and they'll stop asking.

This is so much simpler than you're making it.

I put in the course policies' document and when people ask about extra credit, I refer them to the document so they can answer the question for themselves.

Alan

prytania3:
Sometimes I do fun extra credit. For example, we were in the computer lab today, and I gave my students a grammar quiz. If you got one answer wrong--game over, and you had to begin at the beginning again. To win, you had to hit a million dollars (virtual money, of course). I said the first five people to reach 1 million would receive extra credit quiz grades of 100.

They loved it.

archman:
I wonder if I can just tell my class that they all start the class with an F, but I offer bonus points for taking and doing well on "extra credit exams" offered  throughout the semester...

Human psychology is lame.

willismg:
I never understood why somebody would think that they deserved a D for doing a couple more hours of F-level work.  That's my bottom line with extra credit. 

I find it puzzling the lengths to which some teachers will go to excuse what is really nothing more than laziness.  Believe me, having taught at various places at many levels, these little darlings are quite capable of coming up with their own excuses if only you let them.  And the worst offenders are those who have gotten used to getting something for nothing in school.  Flunk them if that's what they deserve.  We are not their saviors, we are their judges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page