• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:00:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I justify iPad purchase using start-up money?  (Read 8976 times)
godoc

« on: April 24, 2012, 8:12:31 PM »

It may depend on the institutional policy, but I was wondering if anyone has purchased iPad using grant money, in particular, start-up money.

One thought is that if I can buy a laptop, why not iPad. The other thought is that iPad is more a personal item. Well, iPad is somewhere in the middle of research/teaching productivity tools and personal items.

I may ask my chair, but don't want to look like a person who makes a weird request. Any idea?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 8:14:38 PM by godoc » Logged
elsie
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 8:31:52 PM »

What kind of flexibility would the iPad give you in your work that the kind of computer you'd be issued wouldn't give you? That's the argument you need to make.

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
offthemarket
Still a

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 8:37:09 PM »

Don't even justify it, just order it.

I use it all of the time for work.  I never printout my lecture notes any more, I just bring my iPad and read them that way. I also use it to email with colleagues, converse with collaborators over skype, and there are web-based tools in my discipline that are way easier and nicer to use on the iPad than on a laptop or desktop while working in the lab.

If you don't have to justify a laptop, then you shouldn't have to justify an iPad.
offthemarket
Still a

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 8:38:40 PM »

I didn't answer your specific question - my iPad was purchased using grant money, and was approved by the grants office that is typically overly persnickety about approving things that are typically not well justified.
janewales

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 9:08:46 PM »

I bought mine using my annual professional development allowance. I sometimes take just the iPad (instead of my laptop) along on shorter research trips or to conferences; I sometimes use the iPad (rather than my laptop) for teaching (I use it to project slideshows). I use it as a reader, and frequently mark up PDFs of articles. Some of these functions are easier on the iPad (the reading and marking-up of articles), and others duplicate things my laptop could handle, but the iPad is easier to travel with. I was all ready with these facts as justification, but no one even asked.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 9:11:01 PM by janewales » Logged
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 2:15:36 PM »

Yes, just order it.  Easy to justify that you are using for work.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 4:56:49 PM »

Hell yes, just buy it.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
drmidori

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 3:01:25 AM »

I think that it's totally justifiable. I use the ipad to read all kinds of journal articles, and can annotate them and tag them without ever wasting a single piece of paper. And then I can sync these annotated PDFs on Dropbox so that I can access them anywhere. In terms of teaching, I use the iPad to write handwritten notes (calculations or graphs) that I can post for the students. I also use the iPad to easily record videos of me lecturing (no images of me, just my iPad screen) and writing for online courses, it's much easier than using a video camera.  I can go on and on... The point is, it is just as justifiable as any laptop if not more so.
lotsoquestions

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 4:05:07 PM »

Here's another thought.  Do all the muckey-mucks on campus up in admin have Ipads that they use for work?  That was how I justified the purchase of mine -- just assumed they knew how valuable they were.  No questions thus far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: