• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:28:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice on wireless USD-to-VGA adapter for tablet PC  (Read 2315 times)
nucleo

« on: April 10, 2012, 2:24:38 PM »

I'm using an HP Elitebook tablet PC to do my lectures, and our current setup is that you have to plug your tablet into the VGA adapter via a cable, and the VGA adapter then talks to the data projector.  This setup seems mostly functional, but does have the downside that you are then tied to the computer desk at the front of the classroom.

However, I've been looking at the Warpia Wireless USB-to-VGA adapter (it also does HDMI, but the VGA aspect is what I want it for).  I've heard that it bogs down somewhat when streaming video, but for my purposes (writing the lectures longhand via OneNote) that doesn't seem to be an issue.  I teach math, in case that helps.

Has anyone used this?  Any recommendations? 
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

I'm using an HP Elitebook tablet PC to do my lectures, and our current setup is that you have to plug your tablet into the VGA adapter via a cable, and the VGA adapter then talks to the data projector.  This setup seems mostly functional, but does have the downside that you are then tied to the computer desk at the front of the classroom.

However, I've been looking at the Warpia Wireless USB-to-VGA adapter (it also does HDMI, but the VGA aspect is what I want it for).  I've heard that it bogs down somewhat when streaming video, but for my purposes (writing the lectures longhand via OneNote) that doesn't seem to be an issue.  I teach math, in case that helps.

Has anyone used this?  Any recommendations? 

I used a USB to VGA adapter once that promised to let me add a 2nd monitor to my computer without adding a new video card. False. It was an unmitigated disaster, and I returned it right away. You might be better off with a really long VGA cable to give yourself some freedom from the podium. If this unit does work, I'd be interested to hear. But my experience with USB to VGA video has been, sadly, very frustrating--I just don't think the standard USB 2.0 data rate is enough to keep up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: