• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52
  Print  
Author Topic: Apply For The Damn Job  (Read 353917 times)
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Goes to 11

« Reply #375 on: April 22, 2012, 9:24:25 PM »

Should I apply for an academic press job that I am perfect for and really really want but wouldn't be able to start for 8 months - 1 year? Job is a little unusual and I don't know how many applications they will get (well, probably a lot, but maybe not as many as they would for other jobs).

Reason is that I have a ginormous deadline/project to finish right now but once that's done I will be looking for work again. There is no way I could do both jobs at once. In fact, I have so much to do that I'd rather not waste time on the application if there is no hope.

Heck yeah, AFTDJ! Sometimes, institutional wheels turn veeeerrrrrry sloooowwwllly. If you are right for the job, as you believe, and they believe it too, you will work on that "problem" when the time comes...but first, you must create the problem! AFTDJ!

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
dcbetty

« Reply #376 on: April 22, 2012, 9:38:40 PM »

Thank you for the encouragement. It is very true about the slow wheels. I know someone who worked at this institution who was called for an interview for a staff position a full 3 months after he'd applied. Guess I'll stay up late tonight and get this going...
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #377 on: April 22, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »

Thank you for the encouragement. It is very true about the slow wheels. I know someone who worked at this institution who was called for an interview for a staff position a full 3 months after he'd applied. Guess I'll stay up late tonight and get this going...

Good going, Dcbetty.  And good luck!

dcbetty

« Reply #378 on: April 22, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »

Thanks, SystemeD!  (Also, thank you for your name, which made me google "systeme d" to see what came up.)
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #379 on: April 22, 2012, 10:46:45 PM »

Thanks, SystemeD!  (Also, thank you for your name, which made me google "systeme d" to see what came up.)

I hope you found a reference to the use of the term my Anthony Bourdain's sous chef!  That's one of my favorites!

dcbetty

« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »

Ha! That was indeed a great bit of writing. (Though I had to correct a bit of punctuation in the quote below.)

"I nodded, flashing onto the idiotic detective series of years back where the hero would regularly bust out of maximum-security prisons and perform emergency neurosurgery using nothing more than a paper clip and a gum wrapper.

'MacGyver!' pronounced my sous-chef. 'CA ... ca c'est System D.'"
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »

Hi ,

I have completed my college in 2010,

two years i was seeking for job still i din't get any job ,

so am planing to do my own business ,

thank you sharing this to me

I don't think this thread means what you think it means.

Love your neighbor.
ursula
Fooled everyone into thinking I'm a

« Reply #382 on: May 13, 2012, 3:21:35 PM »

I need to decide whether to AFTDJ.  My main focus for many years has been moving up.  I'm a very good administrator, and really enjoy it, but things were slow opening up.  I finally got into a good admin position a couple of years ago, and have performed beyond all expectations (says my performance review). But I've sort of kept an eye out for dean and AVP positions that might look good.

Now my uni is creating two new AVP positions, one of which I'd be perfect for.  Previously, I'd have applied in a minute.

BUT:  I'm having such a good time in my present job.  I like the higher-up administrator I work for, I like all the work he's asked me to do, and I'm really valued here for the first time in my life at this uni. I think I would actually miss the whole office gang, and the whole job.  The other issue is that I would be less in the midst of things than I am now, and I really like the action.

The big plus is that I would never, ever have to go back to my dysfunctional department.  That thought makes me smile.

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #383 on: May 13, 2012, 3:25:03 PM »

I need to decide whether to AFTDJ.  My main focus for many years has been moving up.  I'm a very good administrator, and really enjoy it, but things were slow opening up.  I finally got into a good admin position a couple of years ago, and have performed beyond all expectations (says my performance review). But I've sort of kept an eye out for dean and AVP positions that might look good.

Now my uni is creating two new AVP positions, one of which I'd be perfect for.  Previously, I'd have applied in a minute.

BUT:  I'm having such a good time in my present job.  I like the higher-up administrator I work for, I like all the work he's asked me to do, and I'm really valued here for the first time in my life at this uni. I think I would actually miss the whole office gang, and the whole job.  The other issue is that I would be less in the midst of things than I am now, and I really like the action.

The big plus is that I would never, ever have to go back to my dysfunctional department.  That thought makes me smile.

AFTDJ! It's about exploring your choices! Just because you apply doesn't mean you get, or take, the job even if offered. In the process of throwing your hat in the ring, you develop your networks, you talk to people at other unis and learn what they're up to, you plant little seeds in other peoples' brains about how cool you are and how good you are at your job and how you are fun and inspiring to be around because you like your job so much. There's so much more to the process! AFTDJ!

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #384 on: May 13, 2012, 3:58:51 PM »

AFTDJ! It's about exploring your choices! Just because you apply doesn't mean you get, or take, the job even if offered. In the process of throwing your hat in the ring, you develop your networks, you talk to people at other unis and learn what they're up to, you plant little seeds in other peoples' brains about how cool you are and how good you are at your job and how you are fun and inspiring to be around because you like your job so much. There's so much more to the process! AFTDJ!

This.

I AFTDJ last year. It was an internal post and I was unsuccessful. But it set a marker and now folks understand my interests and these form an understood subtext to discussions about career progression. (Of course, some other folks now see me as a rival but c'est la vie...)

AFTDJ!

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
devans22

« Reply #385 on: July 16, 2012, 8:40:15 AM »

I am applying so many places does anyone think the different place are talking to each other
and seeing who's applying everywhere.
seniorscholar

« Reply #386 on: July 16, 2012, 9:32:04 AM »

I am applying so many places does anyone think the different place are talking to each other

In my experience, only rarely, as when I happen to mention to a friend elsewhere that the person who gave a fine  presentation at a conference where friend and I were sitting next to each other has applied for our job -- and also (I then learn) for theirs.

Or (I just remembered) when three or four sc members from different schools wind up drinking together in the evening at MLA after an exhausting day of interviews, but in that case it's only the funny stories that are mentioned, as wry complaints. We tend to keep quiet about our top prospects.

I would certainly expect anyone in my subfield to be applying to every other decent department with an opening in the same subfield, just as my doctoral students are doing.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2012, 1:05:02 PM »

Generally, no. And, it doesn't matter. Apply to anything that fits you.

Love your neighbor.
histchick

« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »

What is basically my Dream Job in Alma Mater University Town is open.  Guess what I'm doing as soon as grades are posted?  AFTDJ!

Worst case scenario:  My Statement of Teaching Philosophy will be much better than the last version. 
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2012, 1:27:10 AM »

It would be a very rare situation in which folks on any search committee would have both the time or the inclination to talk to folks running similar searches at other institutions.  And in this rare situation, ethics would usually prevent these conversations from taking place.

Also, all good wishes and best of luck to Histchick!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 1:27:30 AM by systeme_d_ » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52
  Print  

Jump to: