• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 1:29:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Commencement regalia- so many options  (Read 19074 times)
msparticularity
Distinguished Senior Member

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 3:44:08 PM »

I'm graduating next week with a master's & am walking at commencement.  I already have my PhD.  I'm really tempted to just throw my doctoral hood on along with my master's regalia.

I'm assuming that you already have a doctorate in another field, but I prefer to imagine that you stole someone else's doctoral hood for this purpose.

I also like the idea of swapping hoods with other faculty and seeing if anyone notices.

Through a series of mishaps involving his own regalia, my doctoral advisor (a Yalie) ended up in scarlet Boston U regalia (belonging to his department chair, who was the only one around that morning) for my hooding and commencement. This is apparently some kind of grave academic offense and technically could get him de-hooded or something, but no one seemed to care. It does make the photos of us together particularly humorous, though, since his transgression is preserved for posterity.

My own regalia is kind of boring, since my alma mater's colors are silver and blue, which blend into the doctoral blue on my hood and tam, and the black of my gown. The thing that I hate and despise, though, is that I ended up with a lined gown, thanks to the special that got me the whole package for $448.00. The whole getup is brutally hot, and I am considering getting a very plain unlined robe and transferring the fancy blue velvet trim to that.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 3:48:13 PM »

Can't you just carefully cut out the lining?

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 3:58:29 PM »

Good point usukprof - I'd have to see the lining, but I suspect you could have it removed fairly easily.

<baleful getting out her seam ripper and preparing to examine the lining of MsP's robes>

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 4:29:18 PM »

Good point usukprof - I'd have to see the lining, but I suspect you could have it removed fairly easily.

<baleful getting out her seam ripper and preparing to examine the lining of MsP's robes>

You know, I sew, and this literally has never occurred to me! It will mean doing something about the sleeves, since they're the bell type that, essentially, hangs from the lining--but that may be workable.

Thanks!

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
mythbuster

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 4:34:52 PM »

I am just loving the writing style of the Wikipedia article on this. What old school Ivy League blow hard wrote this sentence for example?

There is at some colleges and universities a practice of moving the tassel from one side to the other on graduating, but this is a modern innovation that would be impractical out of doors due to the vagaries of the wind.

octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 4:37:06 PM »

Prompted by this thread, I just looked up my soon to be doctoral alma mater online. A little over 600 dollars for full robe/hood/tam.

However, what was really thrilling was the color combo - Red and a pale green.

I'm going to look like a rare tropical bird. My shoe hunt for this robe is going to be epic.

That's a lot cheaper than the official regalia from my doctoral alma mater... and your colors are less weird than mine. Trust me.

Love your neighbor.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 7:14:21 PM »

I am looking into buying my own regalia. My colors are light blue and gold. It sounds like a waste of money, but I'm tired of sitting there in a generic black robe and a mortarboard while these super-snazzy robes are waltzing in front of me.

Morals question - if your doctoral institution had mortarboards, is it immoral to order a tam?

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 7:31:36 PM »

I am looking into buying my own regalia. My colors are light blue and gold. It sounds like a waste of money, but I'm tired of sitting there in a generic black robe and a mortarboard while these super-snazzy robes are waltzing in front of me.

Morals question - if your doctoral institution had mortarboards, is it immoral to order a tam?

Ye Gods Man! No, nothing at all. It is the very reason I wanted a Ph.D.!

They get the best hats!

I was almost disappointed in the hat choice of my almost alma mater ( a Black velvet beefeater with gold cord), as I had my heart set on the blue velvet ones that seem to be an option for some.

However, with the bright red and pale celery green robe, it makes the most sense. Plus, it is an acceptably cool hat.

(disclaimer - baleful often makes life decisions based on aesthetic considerations, like hat lust).

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 7:43:53 PM »

No.  This is about you.  As long as you are not doing anything disruptive to the ceremony, do what you want.  You are the one that (hopefully) will be wearing it for years to come.

On sunny hot days, my black tam gets a shiny aluminum foil top to reflect the sun, but that is only temporary.  Many universities given a choice between mortarboard and tam anyway.

usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 7:46:03 PM »

They get the best hats!

I was almost disappointed in the hat choice of my almost alma mater ( a Black velvet beefeater with gold cord), as I had my heart set on the blue velvet ones that seem to be an option for some.

I was wondering about the red/green/blue combo!

However, with the bright red and pale celery green robe, it makes the most sense. Plus, it is an acceptably cool hat.

(disclaimer - baleful often makes life decisions based on aesthetic considerations, like hat lust).

I do hope you are going for the Dorothy-style ruby slippers...

[less than 50 to go:  posty, posty!]

histchick

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »

Me too - I kept joking that I was finishing the dissertation only for the tam at the end of it all. 
samspade

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 2:51:58 AM »

Does anyone else ever just skip these things to avoid buying or renting the regalia?
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 7:04:25 AM »

Does anyone else ever just skip these things to avoid buying or renting the regalia?

Many schools require attendance at commencement in the standard contract.  Then many schools provided either generic gowns (I've seen master's gowns for this) or will spring for the yearly rental.

Speaking of which, some of these large cap and gown providers sell the former rental gowns at a decent discount.

Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 9:11:21 AM »

Many schools require attendance at commencement in the standard contract.  Then many schools provided either generic gowns (I've seen master's gowns for this) or will spring for the yearly rental.

Speaking of which, some of these large cap and gown providers sell the former rental gowns at a decent discount.

Another place to look is on something like craig's list. I've seen folks selling them off when they retire or whatever. You can potentially acquire a very nice set of regalia for little money that way. It helps if you are average height and weight, no doubt.

I did not buy regalia until I was hired by a school that contractually obligated us to show up for commencement every time. The school does provide some basic regalia but it's not particularly nice and it's the masters typewith mortor board, as well.

I bought the official regalia of my alma mater, which was made by Oak Hall and seems to be very good quality, if rather odd because of the official colors. And, it fits me perfectly, which is impossible without a custom fit. I'm not average...

Love your neighbor.
usukprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 9:18:45 AM »

I bought the official regalia of my alma mater, which was made by Oak Hall and seems to be very good quality, if rather odd because of the official colors. And, it fits me perfectly, which is impossible without a custom fit. I'm not average...

Didn't they charge extra for the 12 additional velvet chevrons?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: