• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antisemitic... or my imagination?  (Read 34915 times)
alpha_bet

« on: May 05, 2012, 7:25:49 AM »

A recent paper on transcultural basketweaving advances that while changes in basket structures of transplanted Jewish basketmakers may occur because of interaction with the culture they have been transplanted to (for over 60 years), it is a more interesting possibility that the basketmakers' more distant genealogical roots are the real cause of the changes they make in basketweaving. Basically, while the basketweavers themselves have no knowledge of Yiddish basketry, the fact that their ancestors did is the cause of the forms their baskets take, and not the influence of the culture they have lived in for now most of their lives (whose basket structure is similar to that of Yiddish basketry).
Interesting.
The paper gives numerous examples.
Yet the only example given on the handout is of a conversation involving the lending and repayment of money. 
hegemony
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 1:51:40 PM »

Basketweaving (or whatever the real-life equivalent) is a genetically determined skill?  I don't know about anti-Semitism, but it's definitely loony.

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 2:07:42 PM »

Here you go--I knew that YouTube would not let me down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaPBhxXhprg

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 3:38:58 PM »

A link, please.  Otherwise we're forced to rely on your precis, which I, for one, don't trust.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 4:24:31 PM »

A link, please.  Otherwise we're forced to rely on your precis, which I, for one, don't trust.

Nor I. Jewish =/= Yiddish.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »

Basketweaving (or whatever the real-life equivalent) is a genetically determined skill?  I don't know about anti-Semitism, but it's definitely loony.

This. 

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
alpha_bet

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 4:51:48 PM »

"Jewish =/= Yiddish."

- Perhaps that's part of what made my ears perk up. In the abstract, the case study participants were not just "German-basketweaver immigrants living in the UK," but "Jewish basketweaver immigrants from Germany, living in the UK. [with Yiddish-speaking grandparents]"

Thanks for the youtube link, though. I probably need to cool my jets.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 6:43:27 PM »

Actually, if we're talking about writing or poetry, there could be an effect of the spoken language of the grandparents.  I use a number of Yiddish phrases and intonations which I picked up from my father  My father used them because he spoke Yiddish at home - both his parents came from Shtetles in the Ukraine.  I expect that these could affect any prose or poetry I would write, if I actually wrote any prose or poetry.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 9:17:55 AM »

Meshugganah.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 9:24:40 AM »

+1

A link would be really useful here, and I can't see an anonymity-shielding reason for you to not provide one, since you're obviously critical of the piece (and thus unlikely to be the author).  Maybe I'm missing something?

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
alpha_bet

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 2:49:26 PM »

It's just a conference paper, with an unpublished handout.

What Mouseman said was the basic argument of the paper - which, I guess, sounds reasonable to my lay ears.

But my question was more about the example that was highlighted: the presenter, faced with 2 options for the structure of the baskets, chooses the theory that it comes from a Yiddish "background" (of possibly Yiddish-speaking parents or grandparents) - at the same time, the highlighted example is specifically about money-lending.

Now I think, probably this was just a random choice from the examples. But I find myself wishing after the paper I'd found a humorous way to suggest to the presenter that it does throw a Jewish stereotype right up in the reader's face (and ask - humorously - if that was done to support the Yiddish argument).
alpha_bet

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 2:52:20 PM »

I mean, as in: "The text here is either influenced by English or by Yiddish - but look! It's about money-lending! So it must be a Yiddish influence!"
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 4:55:49 PM »

But did you watch my video?

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
alpha_bet

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 1:52:24 PM »

I did, yes...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: