• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 9:20:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: An Offensive Blog on CHE?  (Read 43730 times)
suomynona

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

While I certainly wouldn't defend Ms. Riley, and think that, race politics aside, her posts on black studies just fail the most basic test of intellectual responsibility, I admit I have an issue with calls to dismiss her.  And I do think it's unfortunate that she was fired from the blog under these circumstances.

For one, I understand that the CHE has a 'standards' case against her unsubstantive, cheap-shot posts, and that it's plausible that her dismissal isn't for ideological reasons; but I also think academics in general have a greater responsibility to engage with criticism from the nonacademic public, and likewise to make a case to the public that we aren't a stereotype of ourselves.  Surely Riley's dismissal will be widely interpreted as an act of ideological screening by an elitist and narrow-minded group of academics.  It's not true; but the CHE certainly could have managed this situation better.  Even vitriolic Harvard grads and their acolytes need teaching, sometimes; and here was an opportunity to let an informed dialogue play out without martyring Ms. Riley.  Dismissing her was tactically stupid; but beyond that I'd even argue for a moral duty to engage even with unsupported views like Riley's.

Two, Brainstorm is a blog.  If ever there were a space in which neither insular academic discourse nor tabloid-style hit-and-run journalism can hide from each other, Brainstorm is it.  Was it, maybe.  These worlds should be forced to confront each other, rather than sending Riley heroically back to a right-wing echo chamber.  We should know that the Brainstorm blog is sketchpad where crude ideas sometimes escape.  I don't see the problem with that.  Nor do I understand why anyone would expect much editorial oversight at all for such a blog. 

larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »

Yeah, but in her second post Riley explicitly refused to engage in an informed dialogue. That was her chance to learn from the controversy and to retian her position, and she threw it away.

I wouldn't worry about her though, she is probably already inking a deal to Fox News commentary. She can fill in when Juan Williams is on vacation.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
joelp

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2012, 2:37:21 PM »

It would be one thing if it was just a matter of a controversial, ill informed post, and she was being fired for that. But she actually mocked 3 real, living, breathing human beings in a baseless and classless manner, in a way that clearly was not about starting a dialog but scoring political points for a "side."

I don't mind controversy. I don't even mind ignorance that much. I do mind the nasty picking on people who have no way of actually defending themselves because the "charges" against them are insular and shallow.

The impression one gets is that this was out and out "trolling," daring CHE for a dismissal so she could become a martyr suffering at the hands of meanie academics.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2012, 4:15:27 PM »

The impression one gets is that this was out and out "trolling," daring CHE for a dismissal so she could become a martyr suffering at the hands of meanie academics.

You are being very generous.  I have some doubts about her capacity for this sort of complex thinking.   

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2012, 4:18:46 PM »

You are being very generous.  I have some doubts about her capacity for this sort of complex thinking.   

That's my reaction as well.  I still imagine she was put up to it by someone devious, who appealed to her vanity and ambition. 

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
johne2123

« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2012, 4:20:56 PM »

Liberals hate freedom of speech.  They want to silence anyone with an opinion that differs from theirs.  They, for example, want to get rid of talk radio because it is dominated by conservatives.  They want to get rid of Fox news because they present both sides of arguments instead of just the liberal propaganda that most other news outlets spew.  Now thew want to get rid of Ms. Riley.  Does it ever occur to any of you "intellectuals" that if they can badger her out of her speech today, they can badger you out of yours tomorrow.  I suppose liberals aren't worried about that though since they are the new "book burners" of the 20th century.  Why do you not just have a disagreement, instead of trying to silence someone.    Liberal use to stand for open minded.  Now it stands for not only closed minded but "don't want to hear anyone else's opinion" minded.  Shame on liberals.  Of course, if you call yourself a "progressive" these days, this goes for you too.  Progressives are people who try to hide that they are liberals.  They ruined the word liberal so they changed their name to progressive and now they are ruining the word progressive.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2012, 4:22:57 PM »

Oh, look, a nonsense pile of words!

Badger!

Squirrel!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2012, 4:35:56 PM »

Liberals hate freedom of speech.  They want to silence anyone with an opinion that differs from theirs.  They, for example, want to get rid of talk radio because it is dominated by conservatives.  They want to get rid of Fox news because they present both sides of arguments instead of just the liberal propaganda that most other news outlets spew.  Now thew want to get rid of Ms. Riley.  Does it ever occur to any of you "intellectuals" that if they can badger her out of her speech today, they can badger you out of yours tomorrow.  I suppose liberals aren't worried about that though since they are the new "book burners" of the 20th century.  Why do you not just have a disagreement, instead of trying to silence someone.    Liberal use to stand for open minded.  Now it stands for not only closed minded but "don't want to hear anyone else's opinion" minded.  Shame on liberals.  Of course, if you call yourself a "progressive" these days, this goes for you too.  Progressives are people who try to hide that they are liberals.  They ruined the word liberal so they changed their name to progressive and now they are ruining the word progressive.

Uh oh Folks, the jig is up!

They know!

Scatter!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 4:37:20 PM by balefulregardss » Logged

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2012, 4:38:01 PM »

That's a fancy first post if I ever saw one.

Love your neighbor.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2012, 4:47:11 PM »

Lets run that through my new favorite website, EZ Rewriter - Article Rewriter
www.ezrewrite.com:

Liberals abhorrence abandon of speech. They wish to blackout anyone with an assessment that differs from theirs. They, for example, wish to get rid of allocution radio because it is bedeviled by conservatives. They wish to get rid of Fox account because they present both abandon of arguments instead of just the advanced advertising that a lot of added account outlets spew. Now thew wish to get rid of Ms. Riley. Does it anytime action to any of you "intellectuals" that if they can annoy her out of her accent today, they can annoy you out of castigation tomorrow. I accept liberals aren't afraid about that admitting back they are the new "book burners" of the 20th century. Why do you not just accept a disagreement, instead of aggravating to blackout someone. Advanced use to angle for accessible minded. Now it stands for not alone bankrupt absent but "don't wish to apprehend anyone else's opinion" minded. Shame on liberals. Of course, if you alarm yourself a "progressive" these days, this goes for you too. Progressives are humans who try to adumbrate that they are liberals. They broke the chat advanced so they afflicted their name to accelerating and now they are ruining the chat progressive.

Perfect!

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2012, 5:08:44 PM »

Almost perfect, Larry, but not quite:

Iberalslay abhorrenceway abandonway ofway eechspay. Eythay
ishway otay ackoutblay anyoneway ithway anway assessmentway
atthay iffersday omfray eirsthay. Eythay, orfay exampleway,
ishway otay etgay idray ofway allocutionway adioray ecausebay
itway isway edeviledbay ybay onservativescay. Eythay ishway otay
 etgay idray ofway Oxfay accountway ecausebay eythay esentpray
othbay abandonway ofway argumentsway insteadway ofway ustjay
ethay advancedway advertisingway atthay away otlay ofway
addedway accountway outletsway ewspay. Ownay ewthay ishway otay
etgay idray ofway Msay. Ileyray. Oesday itway anytimeway
actionway otay anyway ofway ouyay "intellectualsway" atthay
ifway eythay ancay annoyway erhay outway ofway erhay accentway
odaytay, eythay ancay annoyway ouyay outway ofway astigationcay
omorrowtay. Iway acceptway iberalslay aren'tway afraidway
aboutway atthay admittingway ackbay eythay areway ethay ewnay "
ookbay urnersbay" ofway ethay 20thay enturycay. Ywhay oday ouyay
 otnay ustjay acceptway away isagreementday, insteadway ofway
aggravatingway otay ackoutblay omeonesay. Advancedway useway
otay angleway orfay accessibleway indedmay. Ownay itway andsstay
 orfay otnay aloneway ankruptbay absentway utbay "on'tday ishway
 otay apprehendway anyoneway else'sway opinionway" indedmay.
Ameshay onway iberalslay. Ofway oursecay, ifway ouyay alarmway
ourselfyay away "ogressivepray" esethay aysday, isthay oesgay
orfay ouyay ootay. Ogressivespray areway umanshay owhay ytray
otay adumbrateway atthay eythay areway iberalslay. Eythay
okebray ethay atchay advancedway osay eythay afflictedway
eirthay amenay otay acceleratingway andway ownay eythay areway
uiningray ethay atchay ogressivepray.

Now it's perfect, thanks to piglatin.org!

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2012, 5:10:33 PM »

Adgerbay!

Irrelsquay!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2012, 5:14:16 PM »

Lets run that through my new favorite website, EZ Rewriter - Article Rewriter
www.ezrewrite.com:

Liberals abhorrence abandon of speech. They wish to blackout anyone with an assessment that differs from theirs. They, for example, wish to get rid of allocution radio because it is bedeviled by conservatives. They wish to get rid of Fox account because they present both abandon of arguments instead of just the advanced advertising that a lot of added account outlets spew. Now thew wish to get rid of Ms. Riley. Does it anytime action to any of you "intellectuals" that if they can annoy her out of her accent today, they can annoy you out of castigation tomorrow. I accept liberals aren't afraid about that admitting back they are the new "book burners" of the 20th century. Why do you not just accept a disagreement, instead of aggravating to blackout someone. Advanced use to angle for accessible minded. Now it stands for not alone bankrupt absent but "don't wish to apprehend anyone else's opinion" minded. Shame on liberals. Of course, if you alarm yourself a "progressive" these days, this goes for you too. Progressives are humans who try to adumbrate that they are liberals. They broke the chat advanced so they afflicted their name to accelerating and now they are ruining the chat progressive.

Perfect!

This is marvelous.  I would post each sentence as a separate entry on the taglines thread, but I think maybe I'll just steal my favorite part for now.

on preview:  ok, I'm now just noticing that the segment I chose for a tagline is nearly identical to what the OP wrote.   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 5:15:59 PM by tuxedo_cat » Logged

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
forest_and_the_trees

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2012, 5:22:32 PM »

Freedom of speech doesn't mean what you think it does.  This is actually capitalism at work.  You like capitalism, right?
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2012, 5:42:21 PM »

I thought capitalism meant being able to buy a Hass avocado at any supermarket, any time of the year, without apologizing or feeling bad about it.

Seriously:  I'm not going to shut up about the Oxford Round Table fiasco, or non-event, from several years ago.  That was when most of us learned that the Chronicle is not, as someone just said, run by academics, or people even familiar with academic standards as such.  It was a dispiriting moment for all.

The people who run the Chronicle want hits.  This blogger, who they knew would be outrageously controversial, provided them with hits.  The whole affair blew up just a little bit too much for their comfort, i.e. their brand reputation, so they had to backpeddle.  Notice how far it had to go before that happened.

Maybe we should have just acquiesced to New Coke when we had the chance, and moved on with it.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: