• October 31, 2014
November 01, 2014, 12:55:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Edinboro University of Pennsylvania  (Read 8180 times)
hopsage

« on: January 16, 2009, 2:09:26 PM »

Can anyone share any first-hand (or even second) knowledge about this school? 
jimmycorrigan
the smartest kid on earth

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 3:50:55 PM »

Second-hand information here.

Edinboro is part of the PA university system (not sure of the exact name for the system), the upshot of which is that professors are surprisingly well paid for the OK quality of the university.  Edinboro is a regional school with a "take-all-comers" admissions policy.  As a result, there are some talented students, and many not very talented students. There are some masters programs that, again, draw from the local population with mixed results.

My impression of the school is that it's actually not a bad place to work if you are looking for a low-key school with a strong faculty union and low expectations for faculty productivity.  It can give faculty a very nice lifestyle, though, and there's a lot to be said for that.  Students will not be ivy-league caliber.
losemygrip
Not Very
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:01:32 AM »

Do a search on "State System of Higher Education" or "Clarion"  There's a lot of info there.  (Clarion's a sister school in the system.)

I can tell you this: it's one of the ugliest campuses I've ever seen.  Truly hideous.  It's flat because it's just south of Erie near the lake.  It also gets MAJOR lake-effect snow.  The town of Edinboro is perhaps more hideous (I have that from former students as well as a quick drive through town myself.)  Nearest city (besides Erie, which is pretty small) is Cleveland.
hopsage

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »

jimmycorrigan and losemygrip:  Thank you for the info and perspectives.  Very helpful.
heybeerman

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 7:35:15 AM »

You might want to check on jimmycorrigan's statement about the "take-all-comers" admissions policy - this used to be the case at most all of the PASSHE schools, but many have upped their standards in recent years and some are now reasonably competitive academically.  It varies by school within the system.

Alas, losemygrip is right, many of them have not beautified their campuses to match the improving quality of their students!
donkey_o_day

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »

Do they wear kilts there?

faithfully tilting at sacred windmills throughout ireland
losemygrip
Not Very

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:26 PM »

LOL!  I presume you're referring to their athletic mascot, "The Scots?"

I wish they'd put a giant kilt around some of those ugly buildings.

The PASSHE schools often have specialty departments for which they are known.  Being in those departments can be better than being in the rest of the school.  At Edinboro, it's the arts.  At Slippery Rock, it's P.E. (believe it or not).  And so on.  At one time Edinboro was designated the school that would focus on accommodating the disabled.  Imagine wheelchairs on a campus in the snow belt.
cibolo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 3:21:31 PM »

Any new information about this campus? I'm specifically having trouble finding information on their employee classification and pay scale. The HR site redirects inquiries to an off-site portal that requires a member log-in for any real information.

titian

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 5:19:34 PM »

Because the school is unionized and state, the pay scale is pretty straightforward. When I interviewed at another SSHE school, they showed me information. Basically a chart with a base pay for instructor, assistant professor, etc., and then you moved by steps according to years of experience. It reminded me of the pay charts that went with being in a civil service job with the state. That was several years ago; the table used may vary for staff positions or other things.

My goal for this semester is to move on to being the Crusher of Dreams and Destroyer of Souls.
cibolo

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 6:39:51 PM »

Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation.
infogoon

Phlogiston Researcher.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

Is Edinboro still in a dry county?
titian

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 1:26:17 PM »

Huh, didn't remember that. Now I'm curious.

PA in general has arcane liquor laws. The first time I saw wine for sale in the grocery store in another state, I was shocked. Wine and liquor are in State Stores and beer is from separate distributors. It is amusing to some people who grew up in the state and befuddling to everyone else.

My goal for this semester is to move on to being the Crusher of Dreams and Destroyer of Souls.
heynonnynonnymouse

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 4:05:38 PM »

Is Edinboro still in a dry county?

Erie County is not dry, and neither is Edinboro, AFAIK. I don't think there are any dry counties in PA, just a few "dry communities", so worst case is having to drive to the next town over for your booze.

Generally speaking, the trouble with buying booze in PA is getting to your beer distributor or the wine/spirits state store as a separate run from the grocery store. You can also buy alcohol in six packs or growlers from many bars.
cibolo

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »

LOL, it's a good thing I'm practically a tea-totaller, then. It takes me about four months to go through a six pack, I think. It all sounds complicated.

Any more tidbits about the local area folks would like to share? Any good hiking/ natural areas around Lake Erie?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:20:55 PM by cibolo » Logged
losemygrip
Not Very

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 9:51:02 AM »

You can find the salary charts for the SSHE on the APSCUF (faculty union) website.  They start on page 69 of the PDF file of the contract.  You should be pleased.  However, they need to pay you that much to put up with living in Edinboro.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: