Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1714/2731) > >>

proftowanda:
Helicopter Mom is baaaaack, with little more than a week to go in the semester.

She now agrees that, of course, federal law (and no waiver from the student) precludes me from conversing with her about the coursework.   (Or, in this case, the lack of coursework from the student.)

Mom adds, gratuitously -- I said nothing on this -- that she also does not expect me to be told when the student does not "come to class" and "is not in the classroom." 

Well, that's good . . . as it's an online class.   And that's only the start of what Helicopter Mom is not being told by her progeny.

baleful_regards:
Oh you foolish, foolish student. I specifically told you exactly what classes to take. We have had two face to face conversations and four email exchanges.

In one fell swoop you have added, at minimum, one full semester to your education by dropping the Required to take before you can take other education courses and is now overbooked so you have NO chance of regaining the seat you gave up class to take your
45 minutes every day Spanish conversation course for your minor.

No bueno.

marigolds:
Quote from: baleful_regards on May 04, 2013,  1:02:44 am

Oh you foolish, foolish student. I specifically told you exactly what classes to take. We have had two face to face conversations and four email exchanges.

In one fell swoop you have added, at minimum, one full semester to your education by dropping the Required to take before you can take other education courses and is now overbooked so you have NO chance of regaining the seat you gave up class to take your
45 minutes every day Spanish conversation course for your minor.

No bueno.

Super no bueno.

polly_mer:
Well, my second-to-last-prior-to-official-grade-reports grade grubber has given a fair-well-cruel-professor email after a lengthy exchange.

My absolute favorite part was when the student took what I wrote about having had multiple discussions over the semester about poor performance, insisted that each one was a one-time thing so the student still couldn't have foreseen this grade, and then scolded me for not having mentioned all these things earlier in the semester when something could have been done about the situation.   I particularly liked the mentioning of having a current grade of C in class at the top of the returned test before the final, so how could she have known that she might earn a C in the overall class since a grade of A was listed as possible (as it mathematically was four weeks ago)?

poiuy:
Quote from: blackadder on May 03, 2013,  6:17:05 pm

Quote from: dr_alcott on May 03, 2013,  6:10:01 pm

Quote from: porcupine on May 03, 2013,  5:58:14 pm

One of mine has submitted a paper with the page numbers done at the top of each page, hand-spaced instead of using the page number feature of Word.

I was nice. I explained how to do it. But HOW can they not know how to use basic features of Word?

I get that a lot. I also get students who don't know how to double-space, so they hit enter twice at the end of each line.

Hanging indent? Forget about it.

"DIfferent First Page" for running heads. They are always amazed.

I am seeing so many of my students do things like this; all the above including not knowing how to make page breaks (they hit 'enter' multiple times instead).

I have added requirements about appropriate formatting in my paper rubric but it didn't help.  When I asked them about it, it seems as if all they learned in High School was keyboarding, which is just knowing the keys on the keyboard.  They weren't ever formally taught about word processing, the the suggestion that they can easily figure this out by exploring the toolbars or Help section brought blank looks (you want us to do WHAT in addition to all the other foolishness that seems  important only to you, like spelling, word choice, grammar, punctuation, organization, flow, facts, references etc.?)

These students are not freshpeeps by the way.  They are usually in their third year.

This Fall I am going to invite someone from my university Writing Center and the Teaching Resource Center to give a guest lecture that covers writing and technology and I hope the content will have more credibility since it doesn't come from me. 

These students  state they know "alot" about technology, but what they are is adept at surfing youtube and posting Facebook updates.   They are consumers, don't know how to produce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page