Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (2/2496) > >>

midwestgrad:
That's easy enough, csgirl.  Just list the book as "required" and fail them when they can't do the assignments from the book.

marfa:
Quote from: midwestgrad on October 06, 2009,  1:26:35 PM

That's easy enough, csgirl.  Just list the book as "required" and fail them when they can't do the assignments from the book.

Our students rent their books (part of tuition) and STILL they don't always get it.  Two days before the test, 5 weeks into the semester..... "uh, I don't have a textbook."

UGH

sockpuppet47:
I'm not saying this is the case, but there has been some pretty interesting ed psych work indicating that 17 and 18 year-old brains may not yet be wired to do some of the things we ask. Read the text, yes, but going two levels deeper? A more difficult prospect.

hipgeek:
I have a student who never does his work, explained after the fact this is because his father died.  Also says he's only go to school to help him test best on some military enrollment test.  (Perhaps actually paying attention to test instructions would help with that!)

Anyway today he seemed surprisingly engaged when environmentalism came up.  He talked with me for twenty minutes after class, even following me out of the building.  The kicker is he's a terrible mumbler, so I can never understand half of what he's saying.

His speech on some doom and gloom, human-hating, nature-loving rant was continuing as we got into the elevator.  Before we got on I could discern that he mentioned bedridden fat people and the movie Wal-E (which I have yet to see).  Once we got onto to the elevator, amidst a group of young students, he loudly and clearly (for a change) said something about blood in his stool!

menotti:
I am reading the worst-written dissertation prospectus.  Wouldn't it be obvious that if you are writing paper #1, paper #2, and paper #3, you should address the topics in that order?  Or that if you have several sections discussing a topic, you should put them together (unless this is a unifying theme of the diss, which it is not).  Apparently not.

The worst thing is that this is much improved since the last version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page