• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:07:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese high school seniors study 90 hours a day!  (Read 30000 times)
appletree123

« on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

Check out this interview of a recent Chinese high school graduate.  They study 90 hours a week, more than most adults work in a week. 

http://hopewelljournal.com/2012/07/profile-a-recent-chinese-high-school-graduate-from-the-city-of-gaobeidian/

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 7:46:29 AM »

Your subject line promises 90 hours a day.

I am not impressed.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 8:20:46 AM »

Chinese high school seniors study 90 hours a day?

Evidently that is not enough, given their lack of understanding of units of time.

VP

merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »

<dashes in, breathless>

Has anyone seen my missing 66 hours a day?  I could publish so much if I could just remember where I put them!  Gosh, I thought I put them with the pile of laundry, but they aren't there...

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

Chinese high school seniors study 90 hours a day?

Evidently that is not enough, given their lack of understanding of units of time.

VP

What, you mean the working day isn't 100 hours long?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »

Oh yeah? Well Korean students study 100 hours a day!

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 4:24:46 AM »

In Soviet Russia, (fill in your own favorite version)

In any case, studying 90 hours a week is more likely to result in a nervous breakdown and a total collapse of health, than in a better educated student.  There is also a limit on the number of hours in which a child can actually learn.  Beyond this time, you may as well be repeating gibberish to them, for all the good it does.  In 90 hours a week you've more than passed that point, and all you're doing is, essentially, paying a adult to make a class full of kids miserable.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
pigou

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 8:36:14 AM »

Aside from the insanity of night classes for 9 year olds, the early starting times would seem counter productive. See this paper: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/scarrell/sleep.pdf

Results
show that starting the school day 50 minutes later has a significant positive effect on student
achievement, which is roughly equivalent to raising teacher quality by one standard deviation.
kron3007

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

Didn't you guys know that they use the metric clock in China?  90 hours for study, ten hours for sleep....
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »

My mom was "Tiger Mother."  She projected powerpoints on the inside of my eyelids even when I was asleep.  I knew my times tables through 19 by the time I was 5.  I learned not only Latin, but Oscan and Umbrian during grammar school thanks to her flashcard and electric shock regimen.  I was able to calculate Plank's constant and discuss quantum everything in junior high.  Y'all are pikers.  She pulled the extra hours a day for study using a time machine I invented, that I'd pop into to read Finnegan's Wake over and over again.

Taste o' the Sixties
kromlooper

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »

Not a doubt in my mind that at least 40 of those hours could be cut without any appreciable difference in outcome.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 8:25:03 AM »

Not a doubt in my mind that at least 40 of those hours could be cut without any appreciable difference in outcome.

Eh, 18 credits*3 hours/credit is 54 hours of recommended study when I was a student (which leaves out the extra 18 hours we were supposed to be in class).  A 60-hour work week can be maintained indefinitely if one knows how to pace oneself.

I agree, though, that 90 hours is just absurd and 50 hours is much more reasonable.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
jamccoyjr

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »

Some of my students take 14 classes at a time. That is far too many and they often fail a lot of them. Those that they don't fail, they leave with very little retention of the material.

The time is spent mostly cramming for tests. Here anyway, the final exam is 80% of their grade and is just parroting back what they were told or read.

There have been several student suicides since I have been here. They jump out of the dormitory windows.

Some things are changing but it is harsh.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: