• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:52:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 70
  Print  
Author Topic: seeking fellow gamers  (Read 199952 times)
janewales
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #570 on: February 06, 2013, 8:13:53 PM »

Oh, and I have accidentally killed a couple of chickens while smashing crates. Their little corpses are still lying there reproachfully. I do hope they disappear eventually.

I was not aware until yesterday that "number of chickens killed" is actually a character stat that you can look up. Apparently I have killed three. I don't remember any of them.

VP

Good heavens, I didn't know that. I don't think I want to look up the number: it's bad enough that my husband peers over my shoulder every now and then to ask how the chicken-murdering is going. And I swear they've started running away when they see me coming.
bcohlan1

« Reply #571 on: February 09, 2013, 1:20:21 AM »

I "accidentally" invaded PWP with gaming, so I'll atone with an eye for an eye:

U GUYZ! AI AM SO DRVNK! AI DRUNK THE ALCOMOHOLS!

That's how an eye for an eye works, right? I knock some guy's eye out, then knock some other guy's eye out to make it even steven?

I'm pretty sure that's right.

Anyway, if you want to know how I play Civ IV in excruciating detail, head on over to PWP.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
dr_evil
Completely Imaginary

« Reply #572 on: February 09, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »

As FF noted, PS3s are not backwards compatible, so keep your PS2 even if you upgrade if you want to keep playing your PS1 games.

(I'm also not sure what Sony was thinking regards backwards-compatibility. I can only guess that the firmware and/or other drivers for the PS3 couldn't get you its cutting edge stuff and also maintain compatibility with legacy games).

Not quite right - they'll play PS1 but not PS2 games.  Except for some of them, which are fully backwards compatible.

Thanks for that tip.  Somehow, I skipped the PS2 entirely.  Time for shopping! :)

Wheeeeee! You go, oh evilicious one.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #573 on: February 09, 2013, 1:42:35 PM »

As FF noted, PS3s are not backwards compatible, so keep your PS2 even if you upgrade if you want to keep playing your PS1 games.

(I'm also not sure what Sony was thinking regards backwards-compatibility. I can only guess that the firmware and/or other drivers for the PS3 couldn't get you its cutting edge stuff and also maintain compatibility with legacy games).

Not quite right - they'll play PS1 but not PS2 games.  Except for some of them, which are fully backwards compatible.

Thanks for that tip.  Somehow, I skipped the PS2 entirely.  Time for shopping! :)

You have to play ICO!  Everyone has to play ICO.  Although it's only 8-14ish hours of game time, so you could probably just play it at a friend's house.  But it's a gorgeous game, and I'd rank it probably only after the Portal games.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #574 on: February 09, 2013, 3:28:54 PM »

You have to play ICO!  Everyone has to play ICO.  Although it's only 8-14ish hours of game time, so you could probably just play it at a friend's house.  But it's a gorgeous game, and I'd rank it probably only after the Portal games.

ICO (along with Shadow of the Colossus) has been re-released for PS3, so that one at least shouldn't be a problem.

VP

slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #575 on: February 09, 2013, 3:31:06 PM »

Is anyone else impatiently drooling over the new SimCity?

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #576 on: February 09, 2013, 7:01:22 PM »

Is anyone else impatiently drooling over the new SimCity?

As a city planner, I should be, but I could never get into the game. I supposed I should give it another shot!

frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #577 on: February 09, 2013, 7:25:48 PM »

ICO (along with Shadow of the Colossus) has been re-released for PS3, so that one at least shouldn't be a problem.

VP

Good to know.  I left my PS3 with my cousin in the US, but if I replace it these will both be on my list.  The sequel to ICO also looks good, but I haven't looked up when it's out or whatever.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #578 on: February 10, 2013, 4:09:42 PM »

Bad news for PS fans.  I suppose we can start a large console collection; three PSs, two or three XBox's (the next XBox is also supposed to be not backwards-compatible), and who knows what else.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
voxprincipalis
Member-Moderator

« Reply #579 on: February 10, 2013, 4:17:06 PM »

Yeah, I had heard a rumor of that.  Since I currently own a PS3, it probably won't make much of a difference in my gaming life, but it is annoying for people who are new to the market and who are likely to assume that it would be backwards-compatible.

VP

sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #580 on: February 14, 2013, 1:36:58 PM »

I took my written comps yesterday and Tuesday and am waiting for the decision, which should be revealed tomorrow.

Do I have a problem that I am mostly anxious to pass because I want to play Ni no Kuni without feeling guilty, rather than wanting to just avoid another 500 hours of studying?

"Persons of good sense, I have since observed, seldom fall into [argument], except lawyers, university men, and men of all sorts that have been bred at Edinborough." -Benjamin Franklin
voxprincipalis
Member-Moderator

« Reply #581 on: February 14, 2013, 1:48:54 PM »

I took my written comps yesterday and Tuesday and am waiting for the decision, which should be revealed tomorrow.

Yay! Best of luck.

Do I have a problem that I am mostly anxious to pass because I want to play Ni no Kuni without feeling guilty, rather than wanting to just avoid another 500 hours of studying?

No. That is a perfectly reasonable and rational motivational strategy. What? Why are you all looking at me funny?

VP

democritus

« Reply #582 on: February 14, 2013, 1:51:29 PM »

Nope. You just have slightly unusual priorities. if you didn't have them, you wouldn't be getting a grad degree either.
sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #583 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »

Nope. You just have slightly unusual priorities. if you didn't have them, you wouldn't be getting a grad degree either.

Touch.

"Persons of good sense, I have since observed, seldom fall into [argument], except lawyers, university men, and men of all sorts that have been bred at Edinborough." -Benjamin Franklin
janewales

« Reply #584 on: February 14, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »

I have purchased a console-style controller for my computer. This was the best thing I've ever done/ a huge mistake, depending on your perspective.

I can now sit at a pleasing distance from my 27-inch monitor, and mash buttons just like all the kids today do. Yay me.

I still tend to kills chickens accidentally, though.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 70
  Print  

Jump to: