• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff and books shipped to Dammam, Saudi Arabia  (Read 870 times)
wwinit

« on: February 09, 2013, 6:12:08 AM »

I have been offered a post at the University of Dammam and about to ship my books and stuff to Dammam.  As far as I know, all Saudi Arabian universities do not provide a relocation allowance, I wonder how all of you manage your belongings.  Below are my queries.
1. I am thinking of 'TNT' which is the company I once used long time ago.  Have you got any other reliable shipping companies you want to recommend?
2. Is it possible to send our stuff to the University or the company depot before we present there?

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Many thanks.
ab007

Veteran of the Magic Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

It will depend from which country you are shipping your stuff.
If you are based in UK, you might do a google search for shipping compagnies for the Magic Kingdom, and specifically to Dammam.
Also, you have to take into account that The Saudi customs are very strict on books shipped from outside, your shipping will be scrutinised, and any book, magazine, or DVD which do not pass the "red lines" of the Magic Kingdom, will be confiscated, and your shipping will be delayed for months!

I do not think that you can ship ypur stuff to your university before you arrive there, you need a contact name and a personal address for your shipping.

Just make sure that your books, DVD, magazines can pass the "red lines" test, especially books about religion, or any book/magazine which contain topics which are "sensitive" to the culture of the Magic Kingdom.

Good luck.

I have been offered a post at the University of Dammam and about to ship my books and stuff to Dammam.  As far as I know, all Saudi Arabian universities do not provide a relocation allowance, I wonder how all of you manage your belongings.  Below are my queries.
1. I am thinking of 'TNT' which is the company I once used long time ago.  Have you got any other reliable shipping companies you want to recommend?
2. Is it possible to send our stuff to the University or the company depot before we present there?

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Many thanks.

ab007.
wwinit

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 4:42:25 PM »

Thank you for your thoughtful answers.  I will not cross the 'red lines' as you suggested.
pharma_80

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 8:27:07 PM »

Congratulations wwinit...

As ab007 mentioned, it will be important to have someone at the place of delivery to receive your belongings and I think you should speak with your HoD and asked him(or her) if you could ship your belongings in his(or her) name to the UoD. Once you arrive there, you could procure from them. Otherwise, before you check-in for flight you could probably ship your stuff from the airport itself with your name as a person to be delivered. There are many international couriers available at airport for such needs. Check at your local airport for international couriers.

Good luck with your journey and for a fresh start to a new career.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: