• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bank worker asking for positive feedback  (Read 3738 times)
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: February 08, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

I recently did a mortgage refinance.  It was a drawn out experience for a variety of reasons, and I wasn't thrilled by the service of my bank.  Who knows whether I would have got better service elsewhere, or whether I could have got a better deal -- they throw a bunch of charges in that I'd need to employ an independent expert to go over to really be able to tell, and that would not be cost effective.  I figure they screw you as much as they can, but I got a 3.0% rate, so it was worth it. 

This week I got an email from the guy at the bank who organized much ask for the refinance asking for a positive review on the satisfaction survey the bank sent after the details were sorted out.  He says that the bank is only happy with scores of 9 or 10 our of 10.

WTF?  I don't give anyone a 9 or 10 out of 10 when it comes to banking, unless they want to start paying me a 3% interest rate on my savings account.  The guy was pleasant enough and returned my emails, but that was about it. 

Should I complete the satisfaction survey, and if so, should I just give my usual "it was okay" responses?

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
delta_geek

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

I have trouble with these surveys, because I've heard from friends that work with them that getting anything less than the highest score can lead to disciplinary action.  So I don't give less than the highest score unless I think the employee should be fired.  If service was meh, I just don't respond.

"Sorry, I can't do that. I have to give my goldfish a bath." -Inspired by Kiana
weedinthewheat

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 1:33:04 PM »

They always say that anything less than a perfect is failing. I need to use this approach for evaluations. "And remember class, a 4/5 is considered bad." I wonder if this would improve scores?
hegemony

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 2:49:00 PM »

So they send out a survey, and the guy says "I need a 9 or 10 out of 10 on this survey"?  WTF?  He's telling you the score he "needs"?  So much for unbiased feedback!  That alone would sink him in my book.  I'd write on the survey and say, "Joe Smith phoned me to try to get me to put a 9 or 10 on this survey.  If he has been getting high scores, you now know why."  Jeepers -- strongarming the customer into giving fake scores -- who knows what other subterfuges this guy is up to?

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
aristotelian

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 3:35:09 PM »

This is a BS company policy, not an academic test. Either do a guy a favor and give him a 10 or just ignore it. To punish him or "grade" him according to academic standards would just be mean and vindictive (unless you really felt that he treated you poorly).
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 4:05:58 PM »

I got the same thing a year ago from my car insurance company when I filed a claim.

The whole "please sign in and give me high ratings" seemed like it was a canned statement they were required to read on the phone (and include in email).

My suspicion is the company's real motive is that after guilting you into posting high scores (because you'll assume the employee's job is on the line) they are hoping that your attitudes will follow your behavior: "I have just rated Company X as having excellent customer service, therefore they must have excellent customer service. Company X is awesome!!"

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 4:10:23 PM »

Yep.  These "customer service satisfaction ratings" are nothing more than sticks with which to discipline employees.  They're everywhere these days.

If you can't give the employee the top rating, but you don't want the person disciplined and/or fired, don't fill out the dang form.

rafrafraf

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »

I get these surveys every time I get my car serviced. Once the guy said that anything below 10 would be considered bad and asked me to let him know if the service is not satisfactory before I rate them, so that they can fix things to my satisfaction.

"Every good life comes from embracing some risks along the way. " ~ larryc
pigou

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 9:18:21 PM »

How on earth does a company function if it actually fired everyone who got, say, below an 8 average? They'd be constantly replacing people and having to train them. I know there's a big supply of unemployed people out there, but that's got to be far costlier than losing customers who won't come back to a place that's only an 8.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

I get these surveys every time I get my car serviced. Once the guy said that anything below 10 would be considered bad and asked me to let him know if the service is not satisfactory before I rate them, so that they can fix things to my satisfaction.

It sounds like eBay.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »

No, just don't fill it out. I never, ever fill these things out.

It's the principle of the thing. If there was something really wrong with my service, I'd go complain to the management. If something was extraordinarily wonderful, I'd express my gratitude and pleasure. But usually (as in 99.9% of the time) business transactions are just not that noteworthy. So, why should customers be expected to take their time to do the management/human resources/disciplinary work of various companies for them, much less be harangued about it.

Not a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. May we live long and not die out.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »

Because if you fill out the survey you get a chance to be entered into the Drawing of the Month! Who'd pass that up?????

I get so sick of surveys. I now get surveys after Every Single Medical Visit. And on every shopping receipt... it never ends.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 12:36:26 AM »

If the service is decent, I always give a 10. If the service was sketchy, I ignore the survey.

If I want the person fired--I give a low score.

That's only happened once, and unfortunately they didn't have surveys back then.

The point is not to be a prick.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
sciencegrad
The youngest

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:07 AM »

I used to work for Wells Fargo and we were also disciplined for any random customer satisfaction survey that didn't get a perfect score. The kicker is that one of the questions they ask is how satisfied they are with the wait. But since we were required to try to sell to every single customer, there was always a line. Thus we never got perfect scores and had to start every morning meeting getting yelled at by our managers.

"Persons of good sense, I have since observed, seldom fall into [argument], except lawyers, university men, and men of all sorts that have been bred at Edinborough." -Benjamin Franklin
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 9:18:37 AM »

I used to work for Wells Fargo and we were also disciplined for any random customer satisfaction survey that didn't get a perfect score. The kicker is that one of the questions they ask is how satisfied they are with the wait. But since we were required to try to sell to every single customer, there was always a line. Thus we never got perfect scores and had to start every morning meeting getting yelled at by our managers.

You are new, but if you do a search, there's an "I Hate Wells Fargo," thread you might like.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: