• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:57:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Co-workers and Ethnic Slurs  (Read 45989 times)
systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2013, 4:15:15 PM »

I insist on a real life cocktail to celebrate your progress, and your ability to remain non-homicidal through all of this.

So, close your eyes and imagine where I live, and then make plans to visit.  When you get here, we are celebrating YOU.

bud04
I was preparing to prepare but.....

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2013, 9:56:26 PM »

OP, call me paranoid but I am worried about "friendly administrator." Are you sure FA is really friendly or are they a trojan horse sent to find out what they can about you and your plans?

We ain't all that perceptive. If it's a problem, we go out to the woods and shoot it.
                                           Prytania3
thisfornow

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 9:38:00 AM »

OP, call me paranoid but I am worried about "friendly administrator." Are you sure FA is really friendly or are they a trojan horse sent to find out what they can about you and your plans?

I appreciate the concern, Bud.  I have reason to believe that this person can guide me through the process, but I am fully aware that they also stand to gain something from helping me.  I don't think that they are a Trojan Horse, though.  But I will keep my antennae up!
thisfornow

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2013, 9:29:56 AM »

Hi Folks,
I've been wanting to post here, but everything has become so identifying that I just can't.  Suffice it to say, I'm twisted up in knots waiting for some kind (any kind) of news.  I have initiated a process, and I've been waiting a week to even hear if they have had a meeting.  So, waiting and more waiting.

Is it weird that I've never really met my dean?  Someone else was dean when I was hired, but this one has been in the position for almost 4 years now. This one knows who I am, but we've never spoken beyond idle pleasantries at the end-of-semester party.  The dean has been made aware of my situation every step of the way (by my chair, by the ombudsperson's office, by the union), but has never met with me.  Even during the tenure process (which got kind of messed up)...

That just occurred to me as weird.  At my old uni, of comparable size, the deans were completely accessible to me, and would have had me in their office to run interference in a heartbeat.

This place is a dump.
tanit

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 5:32:14 PM »

Hi Folks,
I've been wanting to post here, but everything has become so identifying that I just can't.  Suffice it to say, I'm twisted up in knots waiting for some kind (any kind) of news.  I have initiated a process, and I've been waiting a week to even hear if they have had a meeting.  So, waiting and more waiting.

Is it weird that I've never really met my dean?  Someone else was dean when I was hired, but this one has been in the position for almost 4 years now. This one knows who I am, but we've never spoken beyond idle pleasantries at the end-of-semester party.  The dean has been made aware of my situation every step of the way (by my chair, by the ombudsperson's office, by the union), but has never met with me.  Even during the tenure process (which got kind of messed up)...

That just occurred to me as weird.  At my old uni, of comparable size, the deans were completely accessible to me, and would have had me in their office to run interference in a heartbeat.

This place is a dump.

I think variation is the rule with dean relationships.  Congratulations on taking action - and good luck!
crowie

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2013, 6:08:28 PM »

Congratulations thisfornow on making a plan and taking action. Understanding that you cannot go into too much further detail about the process, I just want to say I wish you well and hope you find some resolution whatever happens institutionally.

tenured_feminist

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2013, 5:49:52 AM »

Hang in there. These things take time. Are you doing things to take care of yourself while you are waiting?

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
pragmatism

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2013, 5:38:13 AM »

It has been my experience, for the most part, that the individuals who perform well the duties required of their position are accepted and rewarded. Individuals that perform, and specifically teach, poorly, generally are left to move from position to position.
thisfornow

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 8:47:23 AM »

It has been my experience, for the most part, that the individuals who perform well the duties required of their position are accepted and rewarded. Individuals that perform, and specifically teach, poorly, generally are left to move from position to position.

It has been my experience, for the most part, that those individuals who cast aspersions on threads like this are a-holes.

Thanks for your thoughts, though.  I do not appreciate them.
pragmatism

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »

This place is a dump.

pot kettle??
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »

It has been my experience, for the most part, that those individuals who cast aspersions on threads like this are a-holes.

Just ignore the trolls. 

I hope everything is going well for you!

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
thisfornow

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2013, 8:10:57 AM »

Just ignore the trolls. 

I hope everything is going well for you!

Thanks.  Unfortunately, things are not going well.  As Bud predicted, the friendly administrator turned out to be worthless, and my case is hung up somewhere in upper echelons of the bureaucracy. No one will talk to me, or answer my calls or emails.  The wagons have been circled.

I've got some appointments with lawyers next week.

I'm super depressed...I can't wait for this semester to end.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2013, 8:22:10 AM »

I hope you find a lawyer with whom you really click who can help you reach a good settlement. Keep us posted on how things are going, and remember to take care of yourself. You're halfway through the term or close to it by now, no?

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
bud04
I was preparing to prepare but.....

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2013, 8:36:10 AM »

Thisfornow, I am sorry that I was right about the adminicritter. I hope your lawyer search is fruitful. Hang in there.

We ain't all that perceptive. If it's a problem, we go out to the woods and shoot it.
                                           Prytania3
obprof

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2013, 8:41:36 AM »

Make sure you document your efforts to resolve things through the administrator. My sense is that courts actually like it when the complainant tries to resolve things internally first (before pursuing a legal suit).

So this will be further evidence of your reasonableness. It will also be evidence that it's the university as a whole that screwed up (not just a few bad apples).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: