• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:44:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenure at new institution?  (Read 3276 times)
jforester

« on: December 18, 2012, 2:41:45 PM »

Has anyone heard of offers of job with tenure at the associate level to a candidate who didn't have either in her current institution? We're considering this candidate, who would be a really strong fit in our department but has little chance of joining us without tenure and promotion. She has enough experiences and good publications in the field (History) but doesn't have tenure at her current school. Any experience or thoughts?
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 4:24:04 PM »

She has enough experiences and good publications in the field (History) but doesn't have tenure at her current school.

She has enough pubs for tenure at your school? Then why not--if you can sell your admin on the idea.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
innyc

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 4:48:05 PM »

I have seen it happen especially with people who were untenured at H-Y-P but went in tenured at very good but not quite H-Y-P places.
tortugaphd

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 7:41:30 PM »

She has enough experiences and good publications in the field (History) but doesn't have tenure at her current school.

She has enough pubs for tenure at your school? Then why not--if you can sell your admin on the idea.

Agreed.  If her research profile would make her tenurable at your school, it makes sense to go ahead with it.  Why make it more difficult to recruit your top candidate?  It's a win-win situation for both your institution and the candidate.
mleok

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 7:56:41 PM »

My offer at my current institution was at the associate professor rank with tenure, even though I was an untenured assistant professor at my previous institution, and where I was not yet going up for tenure. My current institution is perhaps a bit more highly ranked (but close) and more prestigious than my previous institution.
teatree
Drink wine enjoy life sci and med pppprof

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 7:33:27 PM »

Some schools have a policy that associate professor comes with tenure. So, it does not depend on previous position. In general, when SC questions the qualification for tenure, it will try to place the candidate to a lower position, like tenure track assistant professor.

I saw a different case in other discussions, so somebody may be able to provide examples. You may be able to find the info at Faculty Handbook.

Like it or not I say what I say for "manatee".
ruralguy
Super Duper Zillion Star Member

Full Prof; STEM; SLAC; Rural US

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 4:58:07 PM »

We would have to make this probationary.

We'd hire someone at rank of Assoc or even Full, and at the appropriate salary, but tenure would
only be granted at the end of the second year, provided everything went well.

We've hired several people in this manner. One was very good, stayed for a decade, and then left.Another I know of
is a mixed bag. Hes a decent teacher and researcher, but a "rage-aholic" who is  paranoid,
and impossible to deal with. Fortunately, he took this job as a second career, so I doubt he'll stay for more
than another decade. Still...thats a looooooooong decade. Fortunately, he is not in my dept.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: