• August 24, 2016

Chronicle Forums

August 24, 2016, 8:01:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:53:17 am 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by paddington_bear
Morning!

Wednesday
*make sure things were copied
*noon meeting
*class prep
*walk puppy

Thursday
*vet
*make groomer appt
*class prep
*grocery store?

semester goals
academic
finish revisions to NP by mid-Dec
finish WH by mid-Dec
personal
read fun book on weekends

on: Today at 07:27:05 am 
Started by gronbecksalpha - Last post by gronbecksalpha
I have a TT interview coming up at one of the better R1s in my field (not an Ivy level - they don't have my field at most of the Ivies - but a very strong state flagship). Currently, I'm on the TT at a regional 4/4 comprehensive. Quality of life is fairly good here, in that I generally have 1 new prep per semester, and my department is very collegial. During my first few years on the TT here, I've been able to publish at a pace on par with most of my R1 colleagues, although mostly based on data I collected during my well-supported graduate program. My current department doesn't have all the resources I'd like and need to continue my research program long-term, although I could try collaborating with folks from other institutions or just change my research focus long-term. I generally work 8 to 5 during the week, with some occasional weekend work, but am usually able to reserve nights and weekends for my spouse and young kids. Time with family is very important to me, and while I work a lot, my schedule allows a decent amount of flexibility.

One reason I am interested in this R1 position is for the greater research support it would offer, both in terms of cutting-edge resources and reduced teaching load. Currently, I have four classes of about 25 students each, there I would be teaching 2/2 (or occasionally perhaps 2/1) with a typical load of one undergrad and one smaller graduate course per semester. Honestly, I enjoy teaching very much, but the sheer volume of teaching-related work at my current institutions is wearing on me, not to mention the fact that I feel my attention to research slowly becoming more sporadic out of necessity. Additionally, I am the only one actively publishing in my department, so while my research is appreciated, I don't feel the sense of scholarly community I'd like to feel. So, from a scholarly standpoint, everything in my mind says "Go" should I get an offer at Flagship R1. However, the part that gives me biggest pause is how my quality of life might change if I took the R1.

On one hand, R1s often get the reputation as all-consuming pressure cookers, especially pre-tenure. That is not something I'm looking for - I will not sacrifice my physical, spiritual, or family well-being for a job, no matter how much I enjoy it. On the other hand, if I am currently researching and publishing at a near-R1 pace from my 4/4 regional job, is it possible to expect my quality of life and family time could actually improve by moving to an institution with more research support and lower teaching loads?

on: Today at 07:14:09 am 
Started by screenname1 - Last post by cc_alan

I do not consider making a student go to the disabilities office to be particularly burdensome.  (Really, trek?  you sound like one of those commercials for some stupid gadget - the kind that shows a woman struggling with a cement mixer of mashed potatoes.)  That process is there to make sure the student gets appropriate accommodations in all their classes.  Don't assume that you or the student know what is or isn't appropriate.

You're not thinking about the fact that a lot of students with disabilities cannot easily walk or stand. I know it's hard to empathize with disability if you don't have one, but making a student struggle further is not what accommodation or kindness should be about.

I do know that making a student with disabilities take a long walk, a long stand, or a long wait is not appropriate. It's insensitive.

The Fiona

You are telling us to do the opposite of what we're supposed to do. You're saying that professors should decide on their own what students' accommodations should be when it's the people in the accommodations' office who are supposed to be the ones to let us know what should be done.

I don't understand why you are doing it. It's unprofessional to suggest that it's insensitive to let the people who are trained to do a job do their job which then helps us do our jobs better.

on: Today at 06:44:58 am 
Started by edit6961 - Last post by systeme_d_
But some cheeses are washed.  I know so; I have read it on Wikipedia.

I recommend Tulip Tree's Foxglove.  Double cream, washed rind.  Stinky.
http://www.tuliptreecreamery.com/products/

on: Today at 05:58:32 am 
Started by achaeos - Last post by mamselle
AFTDJ

As the saying goes, you can't turn down the job you don't apply for, and you'll always wonder what might have happened if you did apply.

M.

on: Today at 03:51:38 am 
Started by treehugger1 - Last post by fkm100
Thank you to all of you for your helpful advice and suggestions. The idea of meeting somewhere in public makes a lot of sense. It also means that I can leave my husband out of the equation -- he never really took to Niece and has made it clear that he is not interested in having her around again. He would put up with it for my sake if I insisted, but probably not with very good grace. So I will invite her out for coffee some time in the week ahead and then take things from there.

San_Joaquin, part of me would love to take your advice, but yeah, I was brought up to be nice until I had good reason to be otherwise and it's hard to break the habits of a lifetime. It's as though there are two competing voices in my head. The Nice Voice is telling me that she is just trying to be pleasant and I shouldn't try to read too much into the situation. The Nasty Suspicious Voice is asking a lot of troublesome questions, which I needn't enumerate -- they are pretty evident from the tenor of my previous post. I suppose the only way of finding out which voice is telling the truth is to meet with her and form my own impressions.

Thanks again to all who replied to my post.

on: Today at 03:12:15 am 
Started by _touchedbyanoodle_ - Last post by scampster
Need some friendly advice from any of you who are marathon runners:  a very good friend of mine is going to be doing a marathon in a couple months, and I'm planning to be in the city to cheer him on.  I've gotten a little bit of advice about what I can do to be supportive, but just wondering if any of you have had friends or partners who did something nice for you during or right after a race that you'd like to recommend.  He's done quite a few of these over the years, but I've never attended a marathon.  So I may need some advice about what *not* to do also : )

Whatever you do, just don't stand at Mile 20 and cheer "You're almost there!"

on: Today at 01:27:24 am 
Started by _touchedbyanoodle_ - Last post by tuxedo_cat
Need some friendly advice from any of you who are marathon runners:  a very good friend of mine is going to be doing a marathon in a couple months, and I'm planning to be in the city to cheer him on.  I've gotten a little bit of advice about what I can do to be supportive, but just wondering if any of you have had friends or partners who did something nice for you during or right after a race that you'd like to recommend.  He's done quite a few of these over the years, but I've never attended a marathon.  So I may need some advice about what *not* to do also : )

on: Today at 01:14:43 am 
Started by figee - Last post by geonerd
Q.  MG, what was your reaction when you logged in and saw the hit parade from the 1970s?

A. You probably think this song is about you.

on: Today at 12:44:09 am 
Started by figee - Last post by mountainguy
Q: How did your summer class on the 10 Plagues of Egypt go?

A: At first I was afraid, I was petrified.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10