• May 24, 2016

Chronicle Forums

May 24, 2016, 7:57:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:54:38 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by dekr9455
nice post
dexerindo.com

on: Today at 07:54:36 am 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by paddington_bear
Good morning! Upon review, the new paint color looks better in the morning light than in the evening light.

Tuesday
*another construction day (I think it's only  a half day, though)
*meet w/ B at noon
*grocery store

Wednesday
*WH

Sabbatical Goals
*complete projects
*keep exercising
*do fun reading
*go outside at least 1 day a week

Sabbatical Projects
*FC research
*revise NP and submit somewhere by Jan.
*more revisions to NP; submit by end of Aug.
*convert WH conf paper into article; submit by April end of June
*THR  - waiting for editor so we can start

on: Today at 07:40:43 am 
Started by vardahilwen - Last post by tenured_feminist
Oh, geez, Clean. That really, really sucks.

on: Today at 07:37:55 am 
Started by parsnip - Last post by aandsdean

-- there is no opportunity for UW faculty to unionize, either.  That law hasn't changed in the days since you were told this, too.

Reply #160 --- yes, thanks for the information. Something like this may be coming in other states too. Our full professors have tenure, union and well into six figures. Science, humanities, all of them. Some voters don't warm up to that.

I guess we're just gonna say to each other the voters should want what we want or they are dumb...?

The voters want colleges that operate like the University of Phoenix, with 100% non-unionized adjunct faculty being paid $1800/course only teaching "career-relevant" courses and programs. What do you want?

Is that your worst nightmare? I don't think we know exactly what the public wants. Perhaps they are willing to be led. What I believe is the current system offers little to believe in in terms of fairness or win-win.  We could do better. 1/2 to 2/3 of the work force as outsiders trying to get in is flat out wrong. Justifying cost by comparing to others in the same racket is not going to win anyone's trust. Tycoon administrators is unappealing. Limousine liberals giving money to charity and congratulating each other over truing down another $200K pay raise...gimme a break.

The 15-16 budget at UW-Madison was just under $3 billion. How much should the CEO of an institution with that size budget be paid? $100k?

The public wants what it votes for, and in Wisconsin we see the shape of that desire. And yes, they apparently do want to be "led"--his name is Donald Trump.

on: Today at 07:18:57 am 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by tenured_feminist
Secret job search, yeah that's what it is
Trying so hard to hide the way I feel
'Cause I'm employed by  someone else
But I can't walk away 'cause what I feel
Is, oh so real, so real, so real

on: Today at 07:12:29 am 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by tenured_feminist
A student failed 3 tests, earned a C on 4th, and an A on the final exam.  Her overall grade is a D. All grades are on LMS.
A week after I turned in official grades, she asked me if the total score on the LMS was in fact her total . I said yes.
Then I received this:
"oh so that means i would fail it. Oh no dr. Raf please help me round it up, this means i can not get my bachelors this summer. I had lots of classes at <my CC> and <nearby university>. I tried to work hard, but i need little more help to pass. Can you please do something? I would have wast a year, and that's the only reason i am reaching out to you."

I said I couldn't add 4 points and explained that her low grade was a result of failing 3 tests.

Another week later I get this:
"Just one more point. i need 4 points for C. It would delay my degree for a whole year and grad school. please can you consider it again? It would mean a world to me. I did try even though <basket weaving II> is one of my weakness. please"

Then a minute later this:
"And if i don't do grad school then i would have to get married, and quiet my career. Because it would be a drop year for me. Im going through a lot, or else i would never ask for this. please help me out! "

I didn't reply yet. I don't know what else to say.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, in addition to forwarding this correspondence to your Student Success/Dean of Undergrad Education/Student Affairs people, you contact international student services and alert them that they may wish to reach out to a student in crisis. They are paid to handle these sorts of situations (both types of offices) and can sort out whether this is a genuine crisis or just some jonesing for something undeserved.

on: Today at 07:07:37 am 
Started by parsnip - Last post by profxfiles
Robin Vos, the Speaker of the WI Assembly, threatens to go after the UW System again and says that if he had done it his way, he might have eliminated tenure entirely.

http://goo.gl/i1UAHW

on: Today at 07:07:17 am 
Started by yawo1964 - Last post by tenured_feminist
Hello,

Currently preparing my IRB protocol and was wondering if parts of the research design would raise human subjects concerns.

My deals with HIV risk, and I propose to recruit a hard-to-reach study subjects from a community based organization (CBO) that provides HIV related services.

Given the sensitivity of the subject, and difficulty in locating subjects willing to participate in the study, I planned to contract one CBO staff to help conduct interviews.  Note:  the CBO is already being paid for recruitment services.  Some additional funds will just  reserved for this extra person to help conduct the interviews. Any conflict or IRB concerns here.

Secondly, the informed consent procedures clearly state that refusal to participate in the study will not affect service access.  Is this enough to lessen any concerns about the potential of the research affecting service provision and use?

thanks - Yy.

As others have said, your own IRB is the best resource to answer these questions, as local practices differ. Most folks at IRB are happy to work with researchers in advance to address thorny issues in sensitive protocols. After all, it saves us time in the long run if you come in with something that's ready to sail through review.

Your protocol will go to full review most likely, which can be a bit more unpredictable. If I were reading a protocol along the lines you've described, I'd be concerned about having someone from within the organization conducting interviews, as this blurs the line between researcher and service provider. Whether or not I'd be OK with it (assuming proper caveats about disconnecting the roles were made) would depend on the nature of the questions being asked. No matter what, this person would have to complete whatever training your IRB mandates for researchers.

Generally, the more transparent and open you are with your research participants, the happier your IRB will be. With this sort of research, you'll also want stringent limits on who sees raw data, a good plan for participant confidentiality (especially if you are asking questions about illegal behaviors), and the highest assurances of data security.

on: Today at 06:57:33 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by tenured_feminist

Then the internet exploded and while it still may be true that men of worth don't subscribe to the hysterical Reddit-style fear of women taking over, it is strange to see that the backlash to feminism actually wasn't a wave, it's a tsunami that keeps on giving.

You've seen this already, I am sure, but in case some have not:

A murder of crows
An exaltation of larks
A pride of lions
A shrewdness of apes
An army of ants
A subreddit of MRAs

OMG, died laughing at this!

on: Today at 06:51:47 am 
Started by crazybatlady - Last post by dg902935
I had eaten grilled bacon-wrapped hotdogs last night, for a contrast.  Last night's "dinner:"  is awesome..

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10