• February 13, 2016

Chronicle Forums

February 13, 2016, 11:55:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:46:33 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by egjwho
Sorry to hear this TF I hope you can get a hearing where your son is treated as an individual, but blanket punishments seem to appeal to administrators sometimes. It's easiest to simply give everyone the same punishment.  They think it is "fair". Also you should not take all the information gleaned from your sons friends as accurate. I hope you have the opportunity to speak to the science teacher and principle, at least legally it seems they should give you a copy of everything pertaining to the interview.

on: Today at 11:46:32 pm 
Started by emil5152 - Last post by usukprof
It is not unthinkable that Yak posters are actually puppets.

75+ likes is a lot of puppets. And you need to give a cell phone number to post.

Q.
But not to like.  Ask me how I know (counting all Yak-able device in the household, I am getting close to 10.)

Over 10 for me, over 15 if I were to use my wife's devices.

on: Today at 11:44:26 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by dr_starbucks
The Republican obstructionist strategy could backfire if Democrats regain the majority in Senate as well as holding on to the Presidency.  Better now to compromise with a nominee such as Sri Srinivasan who seems to have a solid bipartisan respect.

on: Today at 11:32:39 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by familydoc
We have been without a fur overlord for two years now. Today we went to the county shelter and brought home a sweet boy. The girls wanted a kitten and hubby and I wanted a mature cat;  we found Sandy, who is a playful but mellow 4 year old tuxedo short hair.

runningrad, I am so sorry about Meester Sphynx. I still miss my sweet girl Uschi, two years later. But, I am so happy to have Sandy with us tonight.

on: Today at 11:19:02 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by nebo113
My $.02: if  Senate Republicans want to be obstructionist, I suppose logic won't stop them from being obstructionist. It hasn't in the past. But I think it's a politically bad move on their part if their goal is to win the White House in November. In recent elections, GOP presidential and senate candidates have sidestepped questions about SCOTUS as being hypothetical. As long as there's a vacancy, those questions will be front and center, which shines an uncomfortable light on abortion and other culture war issues. Such culture war issues play well with GOP primary voters and in deep-red states, but not in blue or purple states.

So I say, "let them obstruct." It will make it easier for Democrats in November to argue that the GOP is unqualified to run the Federal government.

Especially if he nominates a moderate Republican, though not many of those left. 

on: Today at 11:15:13 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by proftowanda
Ted Cruz has already announced that the seat should be filled by the next president.
By Ted's logic, Republicans should also wait until the next Congress is sworn in before voting. He is a famously logical debater, so I really want to hear how he figures this proposal makes sense.

There is a reason  Supreme Court judges generally don't step down on election years.

If my facts are right, the last time there was a Supreme Court vacancy on an election year FDR was running for his second term.

A legal blogger whom I like informs us that Justice Kennedy was confirmed in 1988, Reagan's final year in office.

[on edit: arizona beat me to it on that, but read on. . . .]

Also interesting is that the President can appoint a Justice during a Senate recess.  

So, if the Senate Republicans continue to bluster about refusing to act on an Obama nomination, they better be sure to stay in session for almost a year ahead.  And that would complicate matters for members running for re-election who would be told to not leave D.C.  

Fun times.

And add to that a couple of Republican Senators who are running for President.  .  .  .

on: Today at 11:12:42 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by nebo113
I'm personally opposed to the death penalty, but I know many Americans, especially conservatives (and this included Scalia) are not.  So I am wondering if someone from that camp can explain what is wrong with being relieved and gratified at the death of a bad man who used his power to cause pain and suffering to large numbers of people. - DvF

Thank you.

on: Today at 11:09:54 pm 
Started by geoteo - Last post by egjwho
If you are out in the country, since you have more than an acre, you could probably put a trailer or prefab on the property. Assuming your brother can buy one.

on: Today at 10:49:18 pm 
Started by emil5152 - Last post by alleyoxenfree
Knowing president's like this, he probably has a Student Advisory Group and some kind of student leadership "board" that will do his bidding, or who think he's cool because "no more homework, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks."

Having had the misfortune to teach a semester at a place like this, it is indeed impossible in the classroom. The disrespect starts at the top and flows freely towards faculty.

This same group of students are too stupid to get the value of the press.

on: Today at 10:30:37 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by proftowanda
Ted Cruz has already announced that the seat should be filled by the next president.
By Ted's logic, Republicans should also wait until the next Congress is sworn in before voting. He is a famously logical debater, so I really want to hear how he figures this proposal makes sense.

There is a reason  Supreme Court judges generally don't step down on election years.

If my facts are right, the last time there was a Supreme Court vacancy on an election year FDR was running for his second term.

A legal blogger whom I like informs us that Justice Kennedy was confirmed in 1988, Reagan's final year in office.

[on edit: arizona beat me to it on that, but read on. . . .]

Also interesting is that the President can appoint a Justice during a Senate recess.  

So, if the Senate Republicans continue to bluster about refusing to act on an Obama nomination, they better be sure to stay in session for almost a year ahead.  And that would complicate matters for members running for re-election who would be told to not leave D.C.  

Fun times.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10