• October 4, 2015

Chronicle Forums

October 04, 2015, 1:02:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:41:15 am 
Started by dr_alcott - Last post by secundem_artem
I'm going to try some amateur analysis here and if I'm full of fecal matter, I can be pretty sure somebody will tell me.  So here goes:

The national dialog seems to be largely dichotomous - it's either about better gun control or it's about better mental health services.  I'd add a third dimension.  We have a sick culture here.  And I don't limit that to so called gun culture.

We seem to worship all visible trappings of success - money, fame, power and the will to use it, sexual desirability.  We have a concept of what it means to be a real man that entails never showing weakness, a robust physical presence and never admitting defeat.  Many of our heroes appear to be psychopaths - the world revolves around them and they have no concern for anyone else.  We have a media culture that throws this into our faces every time we look at a a screen.  Our fascination with video games has adults, who should have long outgrown this, essentially playing electronic versions of cowboys and Indians shoot 'em up games.  And some people - nearly all men and nearly all lacking such markers for success, and still playing children's games on a computer -  look at this and label themselves losers.  And they very much externalize the reasons for their status.  It's women who ignore them.  It's jocks  who belittle them.  It's employers who won't give them a chance or who fire them.  It's college faculty who don't see their pain and/or their genius.  And it eats them up and they get angry and want to do something about it.

Take all this rage, add guns, and watch what happens.  We do need better gun control.  We do need better mental health services - although mental health professionals are no better at predicting who is going to snap and shoot up a classroom than anybody else seems to be.  But absent some discussion on how we view and portray success, we are going to continue to create the sad, sick twisted, rage filled and vengeful types who want to make the rest of us pay for their misery. 

And how we do that, I have no idea.

on: Yesterday at 11:45:34 pm 
Started by tuxedo_cat - Last post by geoteo
Good ZC!  She reminds me of one of my former overlords, Nika Magadoff, who had a litter box with an open lid that was supposed to contain kicked-out litter.  On one occasion I set the lid aside to clean the litter, and he hopped inside it to relieve himself.  Unfortunately, the result was not as happy as yours.

on: Yesterday at 11:31:49 pm 
Started by ursula - Last post by catherder
Oh good! One of my neighbours with a PC sign on his lawn has been shooting Canada geese, and on Sunday when there is a shooting ban.  A barbaric cultural practice I can report--the shooting not the ban.

on: Yesterday at 11:12:18 pm 
Started by melba_frilkins - Last post by baleful_regards
Two very different otters

on: Yesterday at 10:40:52 pm 
Started by adornoscousin - Last post by adornoscousin
I am glad you did not pay 4000. My fee would have been 300 ish. I did not get out of paying the fee, I told them that I did not feel comfortable paying it. My editor told me that I could redo my proposal and make is substantially different than my dissertation (but still use about 10-15% of my dissertation). I had an idea I had been playing around with and did not think any other place would publish, it was an idea that I originally had in my diss, but was told to take out and use in a later work. So, this was my chance. That is how I wound up not paying the fee.

My experience with the editorial staff is similar. Very courteous, responsive etc. And the editor puts up with me asking a billion questions. I am new at this, but I have heard horror stories of unresponsive or just down right bullying editors, so I feel that I am fortunate.

If you do not mind sharing, what  publisher charged 4000 in fees? Again, I don't know if you want to write their actual name, but could you at least say if they are pretty main stream, reputable etc?

on: Yesterday at 10:27:02 pm 
Started by fishbrains - Last post by citrine
Nephew wanted to have a "big party" -- he's never had one -- so we invited all the boys in his class plus some of his neighborhood friends to a party at a local indoor fun place tomorrow. I haven't had a lot of RSVPs but I know there will be at least 4 kids there, so he won't feel terribly alone.

Pray for me tomorrow, forumites.

on: Yesterday at 10:16:08 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by prisonerofcanada
egilson, I'm trying to get a mental picture of that... My dog once had a literal stick up his butt. Squatted to poo in the wrong spot.

on: Yesterday at 09:49:55 pm 
Started by clean - Last post by antiphon1
I really, really liked The Martian.  I loved the book and I was expecting to like the movie, but I was not expecting to be full-on crying by the end!  I think they did a really good job with it, making a great movie but still staying true to the book.
We more than likeThe Martian.   It's not love, yet.  But we're dating. 

That last sentence is verbatim from the Antikids months. Rascals.  But seriously, the movie is quite good.

on: Yesterday at 09:49:38 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by woolfiac
Don't Wannas combined with an upset stomach means that most of this didn't happen. Oh well, there is still tomorrow.

Grade 1/3 of papers.
Make apple goodness.
Finish pleasure read.
Trip planning.

Cook big dinner.

on: Yesterday at 09:47:04 pm 
Started by larryc - Last post by larryc
Go and suck your seething farts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10