• November 27, 2015

Chronicle Forums

November 27, 2015, 1:19:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 01:18:21 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by professor_pat
Thanks for the update, Pry (and to Geoteo for asking). I'm glad you sound fine - sorry Hedgepig isn't being nicely communicative.

on: Today at 01:13:27 pm 
Started by pphillipp - Last post by pphillipp
Thanks for the helpful input.

I've been writing along those lines - but I think you're correct that it might be a bit of a process, with a few back-and-forths before it becomes clear.  And yes, shouldn't suggest "I'll call you..."

It's kind of depressing.  An absolutely decent person, but he doesn't have any idea how he's turning off people. 

on: Today at 01:11:40 pm 
Started by nebo113 - Last post by bcohlan1
I don't follow whatever the f*** is happening in politics, because I'm a masochist but not *that* much of a masochist, but surely Donald Trump does not have an actual political platform. For the sake of my sanity, I presume him to be a very committed performance artist dedicated to extensive parody of our political process.

on: Today at 01:09:50 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by pareadocs
Hi paddington!  I should do laundry, but that requires moving and I'm pretty comfortable on the couch right now.

Pack & drive up-north for the weekend
Cook Thanksgiving #2 (if we get there early enough)

Dino:  finish edits,  send to ex-advisor...
Astro: data analysis
Wilma: title, abstract, lit review, discussion, tables/figures (3?)
Casper: data analysis

on: Today at 01:06:35 pm 
Started by pphillipp - Last post by hegemony
I don't think it would be beneficial to give false hope, like "do keep in touch" or "I'll be in touch."  And I wouldn't cut him off without explanation.  I'd vote for something like, "I'm so busy, I can't really think of any visits these days, but best of luck with everything."  And when he pushes again, again a brief, "It'd be great to have enough time for vacations, but the way everything is, it's just not possible, best of luck with everything."  Etc. etc.  So he know you have no hard feelings (which you don't), but that you're not continuing the friendship in any active way.  It's clear that he has trouble knowing when he's taking up too much of people's attention, so I'd expect his pushing to go on for quite some time.  Just reiterate that you're not available, and you could say something like, "With everything so busy, I'm not keeping up with my email, so no offense if you don't hear from me.  Best of luck with everything."  Hope that helps.

on: Today at 01:02:43 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by prytania3
Fine! No word from Hedgepig,  though. Not really a surprise,  I guess.

on: Today at 01:01:03 pm 
Started by dr_swampmama - Last post by scampster
Tell the student to keep the text to an absolute minimum and focus on figures. There shouldn't be enough text on the poster to be incoherent. Presumably there was an abstract submitted for the conference? Slap the abstract on there, add a bunch of figures with brief captions, and the only thing that could be a problem is some sort of conclusion. This may not produce a great poster, but at least it'll look like the student doesn't know how to design a poster rather than like the student has no clue what they're doing.
Now of course, when the student has to explain it to someone, they may have some issues, but then I think it will be pretty clear that you're not the problem.

I think this is actually brilliant.

6-6-6 rule for posters.

Entire poster can been read in six minutes, from six feet away, after drinking six beers.

on: Today at 12:56:11 pm 
Started by mtnlover - Last post by scampster
Can't do that anymore - evals are on line and stay open until after finals!

Oh, I would be raising hell about that. I can't imagine a better way to make course and teaching evaluation meaningless than to invite students to hold them hostage until they see if they got the grade they want. I'm surprised your faculty senate (or local equivalent) hasn't pitched a fit.

+1  Your faculty senate needs to get to work.

Alas, this is how it is here too. We can see evaluations as they come in, and there is definitely a shift after the exam (they don't get their marks until after the evals close). If someone thinks they did poorly on the exam, they have no problem taking it out on you, even if they did poorly because they didn't study enough. The problem is that the evaluations specifically ask the students to evaluate the course assessments and for many courses here, the final is the main assessment. On the plus side, this has been realized to be somewhat ridiculous, and we are actually looking at going back to in class evaluations.

on: Today at 12:53:41 pm 
Started by dr_swampmama - Last post by no1capybara
Good comments, I could see myself being in the same situation next summer.

on: Today at 12:49:18 pm 
Started by kunsthistorikerin - Last post by obprof
My general rule of thumb is to mention extenuating circumstances in the letter if and only if they have now been resolved and will no longer affect productivity (e.g., if the student had an illness that is now cured or if there was a death in the family).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10