• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:07:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powerpoint talk using Skype  (Read 3263 times)
zyzzx
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: March 16, 2012, 3:45:23 PM »

Has anyone used the Skype screen sharing thing to either give or listen to a Powerpoint talk over Skype? If so, how did it go? Is it weird to have the slides without the video, or can you have both?

Are there any specific issues I should keep in mind as I prepare the talk (apart from regular talk stuff)?

I hate phone interviews, and I hate giving talks, so this should be loads of fun.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 8:07:33 PM »

I sat in on a defense today using Skype. The candidate used his laptop and shared his screen so I could see whatever showed up on his laptop screen. It was fine.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 7:13:00 AM »

I'd suggest also emailing your file (or providing a link at Dropbox).  Call it Plan B, in case the connection is slow or whatnot.  (I've seen it happen.)

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »

I'd suggest also emailing your file (or providing a link at Dropbox).  Call it Plan B, in case the connection is slow or whatnot.  (I've seen it happen.)

Yes, I was actually expecting them to ask for this, and am a little surprised that they haven't yet (interview is Tues. morning). I didn't even know that this Skype screen sharing existed until I started looking into it when the weekend arrived and they hadn't requested my Powerpoint. Of course, I tend to adjust talks right up to the last minute (sometimes literally), so not having to provide things in advance is very nice.
virushunter

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 7:01:41 PM »

I have done this a couple of times. The first time, I emailed the powerpoint to them and then set up two laptops for the interview: one with the Skype and one with the powerpoint, they were projecting my slides on their end and I said "next slide" when they needed to change. (I had given multiple talks with collaborators over the phone, so I was relatively used to this setup). The second time, I used Skype screen sharing. The two situations were very different, but I much preferred the screen sharing: I could just focus on the talk and go. The biggest problem with the other setup was that their Skype camera was setup so that I could only see one person in close up (the prospective boss) and his facial expressions were weird. I think it could have been okay if I could see the whole audience.
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 7:40:19 AM »

Yes, I was actually expecting them to ask for this, and am a little surprised that they haven't yet (interview is Tues. morning). I didn't even know that this Skype screen sharing existed until I started looking into it when the weekend arrived and they hadn't requested my Powerpoint. Of course, I tend to adjust talks right up to the last minute (sometimes literally), so not having to provide things in advance is very nice.

Not providing things until that last minute is also really really risky.  What would be your Plan B if Skype is not working all that well, say owing to a poor connection?

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »

Well, if anyone else is contemplating this, be aware that apparently whoever initiates the call is the one who can share their screen. The call receiver can't share (at least I couldn't). Fortunately this was quickly figured out and corrected.
I still hate Skype though. It was nice to see them, but I got some weird feedback as their microphone picked up my talking sometimes, which was incredibly disconcerting.

This thing was actually the worst of all worlds - I hate panel interviews, hate giving talks, and hate the phone/Skype, and what do I get? A panel interview over Skype with a presentation. I'd take a full day of one on ones with a proper seminar any day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: