• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:16:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any iPad users?  (Read 34151 times)
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2010, 1:40:19 PM »

NPR also reported this morning that AT&T will be discontinuing their unlimited data plans. Get 'em hooked then make 'em pay, like the freebie meth. As the reporter said "I guess I will figure out my usage when I get a $700 bill next month" (not her exact words).

Boy, dodged a bullet there. My co-workers were telling me to get the data plan, but I decided I'd rather travel with my mini and use the iPad around town/the house. I'm one of those people who use the cheap Virgin Mobile 20$ every three months plan, so no way was I going to get into some monthly arrangement for an iPad. They're going to be ticked when they find out the plan's going to end.

pikachu - yeah, it's an HP mini, just like a laptop, only smaller.

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
concordancia

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2010, 2:15:47 PM »

NPR also reported this morning that AT&T will be discontinuing their unlimited data plans. Get 'em hooked then make 'em pay, like the freebie meth. As the reporter said "I guess I will figure out my usage when I get a $700 bill next month" (not her exact words).

Boy, dodged a bullet there. My co-workers were telling me to get the data plan, but I decided I'd rather travel with my mini and use the iPad around town/the house. I'm one of those people who use the cheap Virgin Mobile 20$ every three months plan, so no way was I going to get into some monthly arrangement for an iPad. They're going to be ticked when they find out the plan's going to end.

pikachu - yeah, it's an HP mini, just like a laptop, only smaller.

That reminds me, if I am going to be friends with someone who can't figure out the 160 character limit, I really do need to sign up for a txting plan. I pick up the phone when it starts beeping, but then it opens the most recent message, which is the second or third (depending on how fast I pick up) in a three part series. You are of the digital native generation, learn txt speak!

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous

softwears

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2010, 3:52:47 PM »

I need to go apologize to my mini.

<early adopting HP 2140 mini user pats self on back>

I work in a number of non-academic institutions (for research) and love that free wireless seems to be standard in many of them.  Even in Europe!  I did meet a colleague recently who was processing notes on her iPad, but the one thing it did really well was display her images and videos.  Other than that, I'm completely unconvinced.  The guy on the plane watching a movie holding it 5 inches away from his face was sad.

In unrelated news, I'd like a slice of cake.  --corny  /  It will go great. --jackalope
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2010, 6:00:01 PM »

The guy on the plane watching a movie holding it 5 inches away from his face was sad.

ha ha  Someone just told me the other day how great the iPad was for the plane. I haven't watched a movie on it, but have watched some YouTube concert videos and was quite pleased with how it looked and didn't have to hold it 5" from my face. Gee, maybe I should take the iPad on the plane to watch a movie and take my mini to do work in the hotel? This is getting ridiculous.

pikachu

TT at an RU/VH

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2010, 6:52:09 PM »

The guy on the plane watching a movie holding it 5 inches away from his face was sad.

Definitely not sad, the ipad was made for watching HD movies on a plane. This is where it truly shines. 10-12 hours of video capability in one charge, plus you can read your books, papers, opened email, play videogames, use other apps, and listen to the music, all on the same device. What was sad was the other passengers' faces trying to watch a movie on the overhead screen of a 767 with no PTVs on an 11-hour flight.

I am not afraid to get mavericky in here....
bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous

softwears

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2010, 8:38:15 PM »

Definitely not sad, the ipad was made for watching HD movies on a plane. This is where it truly shines. 10-12 hours of video capability in one charge, plus you can read your books, papers, opened email, play videogames, use other apps, and listen to the music, all on the same device. What was sad was the other passengers' faces trying to watch a movie on the overhead screen of a 767 with no PTVs on an 11-hour flight.

Highlights.
http://www.office-ergo.com/viewing.htm

Convergence

Convergence is when the eyes turn inward toward the nose when we view close objects. Convergence allows the image of the objects to be projected to the same relative place on each retina. Without accurate convergence, we see double images. The closer the objects, the greater the strain on the muscles that converge the eyes.

Farther is Better

If we just consider viewing distance, farther is better. So where do recommendations for maximum viewing distance come from? The arm's-length limitation most likely came from recommendations on monitor placement in cockpits.

How close is too close?

Somewhere between your resting point of vergence and 6 inches in front of your nose you are going to experience discomfort. That distance is a combination of gaze angle, how long you've been working at the computer, your individual visual system's capabilities, and a number of other factors.

In unrelated news, I'd like a slice of cake.  --corny  /  It will go great. --jackalope
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2010, 6:11:39 AM »

It's heavier than I expected, a bit too heavy to hold in one hand.

So you're saying it isn't suitable for its intended purpose? - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
elsie

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 1:56:29 PM »

I need some input from iPad1 users. I bought my iPad the Monday after it was first released, and it's been a happy, faithful companion, until just recently. Sometimes apps crash on me. I open it, it seems to load, and then it goes back to the main iPad screen. This started with the Pictureka Christmas upgrade, but now other apps do as well. Is this happening to anyone else? Planned obsolescence? An ios problem? Any ideas?

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2012, 2:51:01 PM »

I need some input from iPad1 users. I bought my iPad the Monday after it was first released, and it's been a happy, faithful companion, until just recently. Sometimes apps crash on me. I open it, it seems to load, and then it goes back to the main iPad screen. This started with the Pictureka Christmas upgrade, but now other apps do as well. Is this happening to anyone else? Planned obsolescence? An ios problem? Any ideas?

Wild guess I'd say iOS, but I dunno. Mine's an ipad2. If it acts odd, o turn it off and back on. Always solves whatever for me.

Love your neighbor.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2012, 3:33:22 PM »

Wild guess I'd say iOS, but I dunno. Mine's an ipad2. If it acts odd, o turn it off and back on. Always solves whatever for me.

Have you maybe been updating one thing (apps) and not the other (os, or vice versa?) 

As Octo recommended, try a hard restart and see if that helps--hold down "home" and "power" buttons until after you see the red "slide here to power off" thing show up, and until the white apple comes up on the home screen.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2012, 6:14:15 PM »

Have you maybe been updating one thing (apps) and not the other (os, or vice versa?) 

As Octo recommended, try a hard restart and see if that helps--hold down "home" and "power" buttons until after you see the red "slide here to power off" thing show up, and until the white apple comes up on the home screen.

I had this happen with my iPod Touch and the only thing that fixed it was doing a full restore. I made sure and backed it up, first.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 6:24:02 PM »

This happens to me. I learned from an other faculty person that I'm not the only one. It's a bit of a problem, but not as much of a problem as an update the screws the whole system.

For me, if it works, I don't need to mess with it. I have to be forced to upgrade anything. Maybe not the smartest way to go, but my stuff all works.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: