• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:20:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter is blowing in  (Read 53556 times)
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2012, 5:34:26 PM »

Flying back to the UK tomorrow night. Our home town is coastal and tends not to get snow, but I'm not sure about the airport. Babyspouse won't know what hit him.

Aha! Now we know took the weather away with them!

DrSpouse returns and it's suddenly 5C.... I think we may have to confiscate your passport :-)
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2012, 5:52:22 PM »

Flying back to the UK tomorrow night. Our home town is coastal and tends not to get snow, but I'm not sure about the airport. Babyspouse won't know what hit him.

DrSpouse returns and it's suddenly 5C.... I think we may have to confiscate your passport :-)

I'll have to monitor what happens here after I fly to the antipodes at the weekend...

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
britmom
I'm a grant getting

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2012, 5:58:03 AM »

We've had the most beautiful weather over the weekend - warm(ish), calm, sunny. Today seems a bit more overcast, but still a nice day. Ah, Scotland, the home of the best weather in the UK right now. Not a phrase you hear very often...

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
drspouse

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2012, 3:48:16 PM »

Well it was colder in the Southern state we were in yesterday, than in NW England today. So there must be some odd meteorological zone around me, I think.
science_expat

« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2012, 4:14:30 PM »

Well it was colder in the Southern state we were in yesterday, than in NW England today. So there must be some odd meteorological zone around me, I think.

Nah, the UK has been like this for weeks.

Our sympathies to the shivering south... (Not really.)

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
science_expat

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

Lovely here in Wellington. Though I was stupid yesterday and picked up quite a sunburn.

wegie

« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2012, 5:23:54 AM »

Lovely here in Wellington. Though I was stupid yesterday and picked up quite a sunburn.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "lovely" here. But 9C at 9am in February is not to be sniffed at, and there's a possibility of temperatures in the teens on Thursday.
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 5:24:14 AM »

Yep... warmer here darn sarf... but it has been announced that we are in drought!

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 7:24:36 AM »

Yep... warmer here darn sarf... but it has been announced that we are in drought!

It is a plot by Mr Salmond. When Scotland gets independence (hopefully at approximately the same time as hell freezes over) he will be able to flog water to the English. Of course, this depends on bits of Scotland continuing to have very high rainfall when England is getting very little. The first assumption is not unreasonable, but given the vagaries of the British climate I wouldn't like to put money on the second.
wegie

« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2012, 7:48:59 PM »

Scotia, once up there gets independence, flogging water will be about the only way that slimy Salmond can make any money!

Down here it was gorgeous today. 16C and sunny. I rather suspect I may even have picked up a bit of sunburn doing a circuit of the gardens.
science_expat

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2012, 12:18:15 AM »

Sounds nice. I've been slathering on the sunscreen but probably got a bit burned.

expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2012, 2:44:13 PM »

Loveerly day here darn sarf...

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
wegie

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2012, 7:54:34 PM »

Loveerly day here darn sarf...

And just as good today! We went for a couple of miles up and down the river. Lovely!
drspouse

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2012, 5:32:25 AM »

I was sitting in traffic yesterday on my way to the tip (we know how to live in Spouseville) and the weather forecast said "it's sunny in most parts of the UK today except in North Spouseshire and Next County, where there will be rain showers."

And blow me if it didn't start drizzling that very second.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 5:32:40 AM by drspouse » Logged
scotia

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2012, 6:55:25 AM »

It is very, very gray and damp in Scotiaville this morning. The good news is that my only meeting today has been cancelled so I can stay at home.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: