• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:55:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The Plan B: Dream Job edition  (Read 55063 times)
ideagirl
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »

Mouseman, I have to say that I am shocked--shocked, I tell you!--to see you express interest in attending Ideagirl's training center. You do realize it will be devoted in part to training in occult practices? What has happened to the rational sceptic in you? Has it gone on vacation?

The rational skeptic in him needs its mind expanded. It happens to the best of us.

I like you a lot, IdeaGirl, but in real life, I remain a rational skeptic.  In my ideal alternative dream universe, however, magic exists, and I am teaching natural history in your school of Liberal Arts and Occult, which is awesome (the school and being able to teach there).

Where do you think it should be? I'm thinking in the mountains (not way up high, just enough for a view) near the sea. With a forest nearby. And with a relatively mild climate, but winter available up in the mountains should we choose to go visit it.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 4:06:59 PM »

Mouseman, I have to say that I am shocked--shocked, I tell you!--to see you express interest in attending Ideagirl's training center. You do realize it will be devoted in part to training in occult practices? What has happened to the rational sceptic in you? Has it gone on vacation?

The rational skeptic in him needs its mind expanded. It happens to the best of us.

I like you a lot, IdeaGirl, but in real life, I remain a rational skeptic.  In my ideal alternative dream universe, however, magic exists, and I am teaching natural history in your school of Liberal Arts and Occult, which is awesome (the school and being able to teach there).

Where do you think it should be? I'm thinking in the mountains (not way up high, just enough for a view) near the sea. With a forest nearby. And with a relatively mild climate, but winter available up in the mountains should we choose to go visit it.

Northern California, of course.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
kaysixteen

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 4:24:30 PM »

I want to own and operate my own rural Christian study center, a place for adults to go on retreats of various lengths, read, listen to lectures and participate in seminars, etc., as a way of bolstering their knowledge of the faith, whilst having a nice time.  Think the original vision of the still-wondrous Chautauqua Institution...
dolljepopp
a "liberal neo-monarchist"

So 'ne Driss...

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 7:31:11 PM »

I'd be an integral member of the collaborative team running a smallish but influential non-profit that is engaged in the real world application of my discipline.

I'd keep a toe in academia by having a position/title at the university -- the non-profit, though separate from it, might even be housed within the university. I'd teach a class each semester and perhaps oversee or run some sort of internship programme for students who want to work in the field (giving them an opportunity to work with the non-profit). My research would primarily be the non-profit's work, but I'd leisurely pursue whatever esoterica interested me at the moment and publish from time to time. The university would of course send me to the three or four or five or six international conferences that interested me in a given year and would fund periodic trips to fascinating places for me to poke around in whatever topic or sub-topic of my choosing.

This would all occur in a place my wife and I loved living. I would be paid enough that she could follow her dream of working half-time and devoting her extra hours to her own creative projects. Our combined incomes would exceed our current household income sufficiently enough that we could live as we wanted.

I'm actually actively pursuing a more realistic version of this. I am part of a group that is working to set up such a non-profit, although any formal affiliation with the university is unlikely and none of us will make a livable wage doing it for a while, if ever.

We do live in a place we absolutely love, though.

Quote from: johnr
God save us from old washed up trolls with too much time on their hands, an AM radio and a link to the internet.

'... and who among us does not love a zombie metaphor?' - Gail Collins
ideagirl

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 8:35:30 PM »

Northern California, of course.

Oh yes. Yes yes. Anywhere from Monterey to Mendocino would float my boat.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 3:36:12 PM »

Novelist or columnist; multibillionaire man of leisure; manager of an orbital space colony; tutor at a school for promiscuous nymphomaniacs and probably a variety of other positions.

Technically, that's not a job, I know.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
womanofproperty

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 4:14:27 PM »

Novelist or columnist

What prevents your being a novelist now - part-time or during the summer? As for columnist, how about a haiku blog instead?
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 4:16:11 PM »

Novelist or columnist

What prevents your being a novelist now - ...

In my case, talent.
Skill, craft, the ear, the art.
Alas.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »

Novelist or columnist

What prevents your being a novelist now - part-time or during the summer? As for columnist, how about a haiku blog instead?

Oh, I could do that.  I've also considered blogging.  We'll see.  I have some pieces of a novel, but haven't taken the time to pound it out in a while.  It would take a large block of time, and those have been rare and quickly filled up with other stuff.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2011, 2:04:01 PM »

I wonder if I could learn to sew and knit well enough to be a fashion designer with my own boutique in some nice, small, hoitty toitty town.

Or could I make a living as a interior decorator?

The MLA joblist is about to appear and I really just want to run away and doing something that involves being surrounded by and contemplating beauty daily.

spammer 
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 5:30:41 AM »

So, another dream job came to me today as I decided to give a new-to-me TV show a try: Perception.  I like the actor. He is dreamy. He didn't strike me as schizophrenic at all however. I'm not sure I can even accept a schizophrenic Univ. of CHICAGO professor of Psychology as real. Can I suspend my disbelief that long, that far?

Anyway. It didn't quite feel good enough.

SO, dream job Plan B: Write good ole fashion TV Mysteries! or a College Prof show!
Something very Miss Marple on the one hand but then perhaps a little Jane Tennyson on the other. I like that folks want to use someone's heretofore disability to be the ability that allows for solving cases. Cute. Whatevs. But god, I'd like some depth.
Perry Mason depth.
the movie Diabolique depth.

So, anyone know how you get into screenplays for tv mystery series?

spammer 
prisonerofcanada

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 7:49:48 AM »

merce, I don't know how one breaks into writing for TV series, but that is absolutely my dream job, too! An academic mystery series that's darker than "Numb3rs" and much more cynical.

Either that, or ghostwriting monographs for rich clinicians. Or a bit of both.

PoC
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 1:19:51 PM »

Oh PoC, we should be co-authors!
Fun!

spammer 
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 1:31:18 PM »

So, anyone know how you get into screenplays for tv mystery series?
If you watch episode 9 of this show you'll learn how a dentist became a writer for Get Smart.  Close enough? - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
prisonerofcanada

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 5:00:48 PM »

Hmmm... what shall we call the series? "Degrees of Freedom"? "Infinite State of Darkness" (which was actually used in a photophysics paper)? "Degenerate States"?

I'll stop now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: