• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:56:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accepting foreign positions and restrictions on movement  (Read 22401 times)
genius_at_large
Wylie E. Coyote, Genius at Large
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »

Sounds like a choice between your freedom or your job. Me, I wouldn't stay any longer than it takes to get on a plane and leave the country. I have a friend that had a faculty position down there and found it to be a very oppresive environment.

I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
bluebird88

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »

You may also want to post this information on the "universities to be feared" wiki page.
Seconded. This should be made known to as many people as possible.
merce
strange attractor
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »

I applied for a job at The U of the West Indies Trinidad and Tobago and do remember seeing in the fine print of the many pages of the job application that they required employees to request permission to leave the country.

The job ad and application form were online so if you fear the OP is fibbing you could probably verify the phenomenon independently.

It was stated that this was for any sort of travel at any time of year. So, if you have family to visit in another country for a holiday or research to conduct abroad during non-teaching times. I thought it was really peculiar but figured it was just silly red-tape I'd deal with if I ever had to. I need a job!

They cancelled the search so I never had to.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
emigre

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 7:16:50 AM »

What is nonsense? The restrictions on travelling, including going off campus and going to another province, are commonly enforced in Turkey. I know of a case of a foreign academic who paid a quick visit to an elderly sick parent on the other side of the world during vacation time -- and found that that their salary was cut by the amount of time they had been away.

Universities tend to gobble up staff time outside term by making them do administrative and promotional chores. [You might see my comments on the 'Jobs in Turkish university forum".]

Unless you are utterly desperate and do not care about your rights or your dignity, or else you are very senior indeed and go in as an honoured guest to whom the rules do not apply, stay well away from jobs in private Turkish universities. But at present things seem to be getting tougher not better.

Pity because there are good students around with real potential. But there is essentially a slave culture in these universities, so until they democratize and genuinely adopt the Western standards they pay lip service to, they do not deserve to be allowed to important international talent under pretense  of being free academic institutions.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: