• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:07:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 208
  Print  
Author Topic: Manuscript Writers Support Thread  (Read 559668 times)
greyscale
Monochromatic
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2460 on: November 30, 2011, 4:07:32 PM »

I just finished the final (?!) draft of my damn paper I've been griping about for 4 years. I'm sure my old boss will have some comments, and I suspect it'll bounce through a few more journals, but I am so happy with this version!

I'm on a plane with wifi, and I finished it and mailed it to him with my last 10 minutes of battery. But the huge files took too long to send, so I've now spent 30 min on alternatives involving dropbox and wifi on my iPhone. All this urgency on my side won't make him read it any faster, but at least it's done.
august
Member since 2004, and finally a

« Reply #2461 on: December 02, 2011, 2:49:00 PM »

Congratulations, Greyscale, for getting the down and out.  That must feel good.

"All you progressives have done is to elevate this duck man."
lasquires
Hopelessly Abject

Awaiting the zombie apocalypse.

« Reply #2462 on: December 03, 2011, 1:58:25 PM »

So, I've had an article idea on the back burner for a long time now, and now that the dissertation defense is over, I'm ready to devote some time to it (I figure I should take a little break from that material before launching into the book manuscript). I'm hoping that posting here will help keep me accountable. I have a list of sources I want to cite and a rough idea of what my thesis will be. I hope to start drafting in 2-3 weeks and have this ready to show my writing group by early February.

Live every week like it's Shark Week--30 Rock
crumpet

« Reply #2463 on: December 03, 2011, 2:32:27 PM »

Congrats Greyscale! It feels so good to finally submit and makes the work worthwhile.
synecdoche

« Reply #2464 on: December 03, 2011, 9:38:23 PM »

Just got another rejection. It is the third one for this article, but so far nobody has said anything is wrong with it. The editor of the first journal sent me a very nice personal reply raving about the article but said that it wasn't a good fit with the direction they're taking the journal. The second journal had its funding cut a month after I submitted it, and so they returned it unreviewed. The third one gave me a firm no, describing it as "unsuitable," but with no further justification. Sigh. I just sent it out to another journal. Hopefully, whatever the outcome, I'll at least get some feedback I can use.
chickpea

« Reply #2465 on: December 09, 2011, 2:03:21 PM »

Got an acceptance for my first peer-reviewed article!  Woot!  Now onto the revisions...
crumpet

« Reply #2466 on: December 09, 2011, 4:41:23 PM »

Got an acceptance for my first peer-reviewed article!  Woot!  Now onto the revisions...

Woot! Confetti!!
ufo_tofu
Soy-based

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #2467 on: December 09, 2011, 8:21:06 PM »

Yay!!!!

Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-" [Zoe hits him with a pillow]
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #2468 on: December 09, 2011, 8:41:33 PM »

Well done!

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
lotsoquestions

« Reply #2469 on: January 11, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »

Just got a contract for a book!  Doing a little happy dance.  Now I just need to write something beyond the first chapter!
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #2470 on: January 11, 2012, 1:14:44 PM »

I have a dilemma. It's one of these situations where I can't really ask for useful advice from the fora because there's too much backstory and a few identifying details that I need to leave out. But bah.

I'm submitting a paper today. I am choosing between two equally high-profile journals. One is open access and the other is not. The closed one publishes more related work. But my ex-advisor (coauthor on this paper) prefers open access and my current advisor (not an author on this) is an open access activist. I support open access too, and of course I just read the NYT opinion piece as I was debating this, so I feel like I should go with the open journal, but the closed one really is a better fit. And my current lab has a very very limited set of journals we publish in, due to the open-access advocacy, so I sort of want to seize the chance to publish somewhere else while I have it. My ex-advisor will sign off on whatever I choose, so I could do that, but I'm really having a moral debate about it.
synecdoche

« Reply #2471 on: January 11, 2012, 1:16:11 PM »

Congratulations lotsoquestions!
greyscale
Monochromatic

« Reply #2472 on: January 12, 2012, 4:44:18 AM »

Congrats, lotsoquestions! I still have a sense of awe that people actually *write books*.

I submitted my paper! It's been submitted before (and rejected) but I rewrote it to be better, faster, stronger. I think I've been whining about it on the fora since 2008. Enough already. (I chose the evil journal and regretted it instantly, so if it gets rejected, open access is next.)
august
Member since 2004, and finally a

« Reply #2473 on: January 12, 2012, 1:31:32 PM »

Congratulations lotsoquestions!  That is great news. 

Congratulations also Greyscale, it is good to send off an essay, especially one that has been around for awhile.

August

"All you progressives have done is to elevate this duck man."
ex_mo

Peddler of backroom smut.

« Reply #2474 on: January 31, 2012, 4:31:51 PM »

Rejected again today.  Wah. 

One review was short but overwhelmingly positive:

"Great paper!" they said. 
"I'd use it in class!" they said.  "
Great policy recommendations!" they said

*record skip.*

My article doesn't contain any policy recommendations. 

What (if anything) should I do about this?

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 208
  Print  

Jump to: