• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:40:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: "Have you heard?" Wiki  (Read 367738 times)
in_tangible

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 5:15:29 PM »

Anyone know why the Anthropology wiki now says "anonymous edit not permitted" when one tries to edit the page? I have not seen this on any of the other "have you heard" wiki pages and am a bit confounded.
fishfolk

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 12:20:10 AM »

I don't know either (why the anthro page can't have anonymous updates).  I just discovered it myself when I tried to update. 

Maybe that explains why there haven't been any recent updates?
in_tangible

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »

According to the history log, there have been updates but the updaters have not changed the date on the page since Dec. 5. I have some updates but alas, the page is still locked to anonymous edits.
historydude
a.k.a Flanders

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 8:41:16 PM »

I tried to unlock the Anthropology page.  It should allow anonymous edits now. 
in_tangible

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 10:32:05 PM »

Thanks historydude!
trabb
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »

A note to all posters on the wiki:  if you type -- at any point in the post, the result will be something like this:

Morehead State University
Deadline: November 31
Anyone heard from this?
No, but they will have a great astronomy program in a few years time.

Not being snarky at all, but I've fixed about 20 of these in the past week or so.  Not a big deal, but I thought I'd point out what the -- actually does on the wiki.
sinead

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 5:20:33 AM »

Okay, so I posted the naive question about what the 'have you heard?' Wiki yesterday, but when I finally discovered it, I also found that one of the positions that I  had applied for in August (yes, August, 2006) was not posted there. And according to a not-so helpful administrator that I contacted last week, I know that "the position is still open." On my first visit to the Wiki and I was able to add information!!

How silly to ask someone how many interviews they have had - this does nothing expect make the person who can write a competent cover letter feel better, and many of us know that a competent cover letter is not the same as a tenure-track job.
trabb
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 3:36:19 PM »

Excuse me as I rant for a moment.  What's up with people posting underneath positions questions like "Have they started scheduling interviews yet?"  Think, people.  That's the whole point of the wiki.  Do you really think that there are people sitting there scrolling through the wiki who know whether interviews have been scheduled or not who will see that question and think "oh wow, it never even occurred to me to post that information!"?  We're all desperate for information, but for god's sake, quit making things harder to find than they already are by adding silly questions after each of your favorite positions.

Rant over:)
tekjansen

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 11:18:29 AM »

Trabb,

I, for one, received a cryptic email from one school, that stated outright that I was still in the running.  The wiki, however, said that others had received requests for more materials and phone interviews.  Because the email I received was sent after the wiki was updated, I was understandably confused.  I posted a question on the wiki for my own clarification.

I'm sure there are other situations similar to mine. 
scratch32

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 2:44:10 PM »

Any opinions on the accuracy of the wiki as we move past the conference interview stage?

With only 2-4 people being invited to campus, it seems that it might be a bit much to think that the wiki still can accurately tell us where the process is at a lot of these schools.  Will people be more hesitant to post offers for fear of being identified?
psychprof1

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 12:25:04 PM »

Hi- I had a question for anyone about the Wiki. What does "short list" mean. I think of short list and interviews sort of interchangeably. How do the two differ and how would one know if they were on the shortlist otherwise? Thanks in advance.
nailman
Longwinded

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 12:40:57 PM »

I think some places have a "long shortlist" which is perhaps in the neighborhood of 10-15 people, which they then reduce to 3-5 for actual interviews. I applied to one place from which I received notification that I had made the "long shortlist" before I received an invitation to interview, so presumably some places notify people who make the long shortlist, even if they don't end up with an interview.
nerd_girl

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 1:16:08 PM »

In my experience, shortlists are often formulated by schools who do not plan to do conference interviews or telephone interviews but will go straight from written materials to on-campus interviews. Shortlists in this case are a small group of the original applicant pool who are asked to submit additional written materials. One search I was a candidate in this year, formulated a long short list-I'm guessing about 25-30 people and asked for writing samples. From that, a short shortlist was identified, and more writing was requested. From the short shortlist, 3 candidates were invited to campus.
socsci

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 5:16:14 PM »

I found this Wiki a little troubling in one way: it lists the name of the people who have interviewed for particular jobs. While that's fine for entry level jobs, what if someone already has a job? He/she might not want their name out there. I know I don't want to see my name on it! Couldn't it even be grounds for legal action if getting one's name posted caused severe distress at one's current job?
flyguy
I can't believe they let me be a

Proving once again quantity rules over quality

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 5:24:57 PM »

I found this Wiki a little troubling in one way: it lists the name of the people who have interviewed for particular jobs. While that's fine for entry level jobs, what if someone already has a job? He/she might not want their name out there. I know I don't want to see my name on it! Couldn't it even be grounds for legal action if getting one's name posted caused severe distress at one's current job?

That is troubling.  As it's open source, I suggest you remove the names.  It's one thing to post dates for interviews, I don't think it is unfair to post the identities of those getting the interviews.

"I don't accessorize. I'm Howard Moon. There's a simple truth to me."    Howard Moon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: