• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 10:08:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting out  (Read 7311 times)
abitatd

« on: August 23, 2007, 7:54:59 AM »

In a quest for adventure (and in need of a job), I accepted a position at a University in the Southern hemisphere in a city that requires a 12 hour plane ride to get me back to the States. However, my adventures have recently turned to misadventure (due to the always fun combination of departmental dysfunction and University politics) and I have decided I need to get out of here. The question is, what can I do to help myself in getting a position back in the States (I am a US citizen), given the differences in time zones, seasons of the year, and distances?
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 10:35:57 AM »

Publish publish publish and apply for every job that comes up. Did I mention publishing?

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
stickball

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 6:01:39 PM »

OP, you wouldn't be in Fiji, by any chance, would you?  If so, I know what you're going through.  If you want to talk privately, let me know...

"Television isn't a medium.  It's a small" - anon
"Sh!t happens" - George Carlin
"I can do the work of three men -Curley, Larry, and Moe"  - dena
normative_
Distinguished Senior Member

Check, please.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »

First, as Larry said, publish your brains out. Second, attend interviews at the (US) national annual conference for your discipline, if your organisation offers this. Third, keep up contact with your colleagues abroad and do collaborative work with them if you can. Fourth, think about a post-doc somewhere to bridge you closer to your desired market, not just a TT post.

Fortune favors the bold.

Quote from: mountainguy
Excellent analysis by Normative.
Quote from: tenured_feminist
All hail Normie!
Quote from: systeme_d
Normative, that was superb.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: