Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1642/2731) > >>

anakin:
Quote from: cc_alan on April 15, 2013, 10:10:37 pm

Quote from: ptarmigan on April 15, 2013,  9:48:21 pm

Quote from: cc_alan on April 15, 2013,  7:56:25 pm

Quote from: ptarmigan on April 15, 2013,  7:11:36 pm

Quote from: lohai0 on April 15, 2013,  6:53:27 pm

Quote from: usukprof on April 14, 2013,  8:59:49 pm

<snip>
You can do a spectral analysis of their silly answers.

I googled this, but most everything came up as physics. How does one do a spectra analysis of silly answers?

View them through a prism of your own prejudices? :-)

I was alone after school in 3rd and 4th grades, right around the time the term "latch-key child" was coming into vogue. In 5th grade our living situation was different, but by middle school I was home alone a ton.

I thought you were younger than that. I remember hearing about it in the 80s but I know it goes back to the 40s (I had to look the last part up).

Alan

The 80s was the time I meant. Anything prior to 1974 didn't really happen and can safely be ignored.

But I was born before th...

<timeline adjusted>

<chronology realignment in process>

<working...>

<working...>

<alternate timeline generated to compensate>

<pushing shopping cart full of vacuum tubes up and down the aisles of the giant computer building>

<pauses at cc_alan's chronometer>

<removes burned-out vacuum tube, replaces with a fresh one>

<continues down the aisle with cart full of tubes>

cgfunmathguy:

<snip>

I googled this, but most everything came up as physics. How does one do a spectra analysis of silly answers?

I was alone after school in 3rd and 4th grades, right around the time the term "latch-key child" was coming into vogue. In 5th grade our living situation was different, but by middle school I was home alone a ton.

I thought you were younger than that. I remember hearing about it in the 80s but I know it goes back to the 40s (I had to look the last part up).

Alan

The 80s was the time I meant. Anything prior to 1974 didn't really happen and can safely be ignored.

The term "latchkey kid" was around when I was in elementary school, which happened to be before 1974, tyvm.

anakin:
Quote from: cgfunmathguy on April 15, 2013, 10:54:01 pm

<snip>

Alan

The term "latchkey kid" was around when I was in elementary school, which happened to be before 1974, tyvm.

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, the first use of the term "latchkey kid" was in 1944.

usukprof:
Quote from: anakin on April 15, 2013, 10:48:47 pm

Quote from: cc_alan on April 15, 2013, 10:10:37 pm

<snip>

Alan

But I was born before th...

<timeline adjusted>

<chronology realignment in process>

<working...>

<working...>

<alternate timeline generated to compensate>

<pushing shopping cart full of vacuum tubes up and down the aisles of the giant computer building>

<pauses at cc_alan's chronometer>

<removes burned-out vacuum tube, replaces with a fresh one>

<continues down the aisle with cart full of tubes>

Well, lesse...  I have a working rotary dial phone in my kitchen that I use regularly.  I have a Monroe mechanical calcularot in my office next to my computers.  I have a vacuum tube amp, but it is in need of restoration; my current gear is Heathkit and Marantz 1970s discrete solid state.

ptarmigan:
I think Alan and I have already covered this. Let me recap:

Alan: That term's been around since the 40s, dummy.

Me: I wasn't born then so it doesn't count, jerkface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page