Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1642/2493) > >>

f_talbot:
Quote from: anon99 on January 31, 2013,  9:58:42 PM

A PhD student who doesn't know how to find journal article that our library doesn't have electronic access to.  Seriously, this student does not belong in grad school.

Last semester I had an MA student who couldn't find one that our library did have electronic acccess to. In fact, it took three emails back and forth for me to realize what the student was asking--it didn't occur to me that he'd never had to locate a journal article when given the entire bibliographic entry. No, I wasn't even doing that favorite thing of many of my grad profs..."You know there was a great article a few years back about X and Y and it might have been written by Z or A... you should look that up!" Nope. Full on complete citation.... no clue how to find it through the library databases...

corny:
Fall evals are back! Yippee!

Q. Which aspects of the course helped you to meet the course objectives?
A. The amount of work we had to do.

Q. What changes would make this course more beneficial?
A. Cut down the volume of work.

Sigh.

Perhaps there's a fine technical distinction between "amount" and "volume" that I'm missing here?

corny:
Quote from: corny on February 01, 2013,  3:34:43 PM

Fall evals are back! Yippee!

A. The amount of work we had to do.

A. Cut down the volume of work.

Sigh.

Perhaps there's a fine technical distinction between "amount" and "volume" that I'm missing here?

Sorry for the double post. I should probably save these all up and summarize them, but I can't resist...

A. The sweet teacher.

A. A hotter teacher.

This means I should probably get some plastic surgery done before the next round of evals, right?

kiana:
Quote from: corny on February 01, 2013,  3:44:00 PM

Sorry for the double post. I should probably save these all up and summarize them, but I can't resist...

A. The sweet teacher.

A. A hotter teacher.

This means I should probably get some plastic surgery done before the next round of evals, right?

Or wear a heavy wool sweater.

nezahualcoyotl:
We don't have a "mentoring despair" thread so I'll post here: We (a colleague and I who are co-supervisors on an undergraduate thesis) have been chasing after a certain student - to give her a stipend. For a series of complicated reasons, my colleague has a bit of money for a grant that basically must either be given to this student or not be used at all. This involves no obligations for her on top of what she's already doing. Getting her to even reply that yes, she's interested in it has required us doing everything short of stalking her outside her home or something. That's right, we've had to chase after her to give her money. It's not even a tuition discount or vouchers, it's actual money, and not a loan. This from the same student who has complained about financial pressures, who has labeled herself as "poor" (sweetie, you're obviously not rich, but you're not actually poor by this country's standards. The kids who sleep rough a few blocks from where my parents live are poor, the inhabitants of shantytowns are poor.) and whose mother (the one paying for this student's education) pleaded with me about getting her a scholarship. Then my other thesis students: one of them no-showed for an appointment, which is par for the course - he has spent, theoretically working towards his undergraduate thesis, about as long as it took me to do a PhD. From another, I'm getting crickets in response to my email inquiring when he's actually going to show up for his thesis work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page