Odd behavior. Laughable hopes.

(1/2) > >>

bananaflour:
Hello, all. I have some questions for you. Probably petty, but would still like some feedback. Sincerely, I am not a troll and I am not trying to be one. I've been hesitant about posting on this forum due to the possibility of professors from my university regularly posting here as well. I'll try to keep things non-specific, but detailed.

I have an acquaintance who is currently attending the graduate school at my university. I will be graduating with my bachelor's degree this coming spring. Hu has never been involved in a romantic relationship before. Hu also has an apparent crush on a professor. Cue the sighs.

Hu will find ways to make excuses to bring the professor up in social settings outside of school (parties). Hu has told me that hu has several main goals in mind this semester:

1. To become the professor's best friend.
2. Call the professor by hu's first name, because hu is "not too old to begin with."
3. Exchange phone numbers with the professor.
4. Hu also likes to talk about dreams had of the professor.

I have caught hu several times reiterating that the professor "really cares about hu's spouse. Or, hu at least likes hu's spouse." Hu's tone bothers me.

Disturbingly, hu told me about how hu "did a background check on Dr. _____ one weekend." In short, hu found the professor's FB. The professor only lets "friends of friends" send friend requests. The student does not meet this qualification.

Hu also has developed a strange fixation with the professor's country of origin, claiming that hu could pass as a native, wants to move there,  and keeps up with the country's affairs.

What troubled me was that I received a text from hu today stating hu's frustration with not being able to find hu's instructor's profile. It is possible to have the profile permanently deleted, rather than deactivated if a request is sent to FB to do so. I found this text odd, creepy, and irritating to receive from someone in hu mid 20s.

Interestingly, on RMP, this instructor has the coveted pepper, but no ratings. Don't know why this could be, because one must submit ratings along with a pepper.

It is obvious that my acquaintance is infatuated with this individual. Don't know if it is so obvious that the instructor sees that and took some protective measures.

How should one address this, especially if he or she is only an undergraduate student, has never had the professor before, and is kind of creeped out by hu's graduate student acquaintance's odd behavior and childish talk?

I am so sorry if I irritated some of you. I know this is not a favorite topic.

larryc:
Welcome to the forums! Would you like some LOL cats? http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-cat-shakes.jpg

bananaflour:
Hello, there. I do not know what it is about me that makes you think I am a lobster. But thank you.

scampster:
Quote from: bananaflour on January 04, 2013,  4:18:38 AM

How should one address this, especially if he or she is only an undergraduate student, has never had the professor before, and is kind of creeped out by hu's graduate student acquaintance's odd behavior and childish talk?

Stay out of it, I would say. This person isn't a friend who you care about (and thus want to prevent from making a bad mistake), just an acquaintance. If they bring up their professor again, just say you don't want to hear about their crush on a married man. They'll likely stop talking to you. And maybe you will plant a seed that they are acting weird.

hegemony:
It's odd behavior and the hopes are laughable, but it's nothing you can change.  Let it go.  Stop worrying about it.  That's the only answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page