Harvard Expels Dozens For Cheating

<< < (7/7)

delta_geek:
I had a (senior level major) class in college where for one unit we all had to give a presentation and turn in a few test questions on the presentation that the professor would use on on the exam (perhaps with some alterations) for that section. 

We were not explicitly told we couldn't share the questions, but it was obvious it wasn't appropriate.  Part of the point of the exercise, it had clearly been explained, was for us to think about what our classmates really needed to know on the topic, and give a presentation that would effectively teach them those main points.  How well our classmates did on our questions was a reflection on our presentations and would be considered in our overall presentation grades.  (It was not an education class, but students could be expected to have to give many presentations in their careers, so it was an appropriate skill development assignment.)

Several students started organizing an email list for everyone in a class of ~40 to share their questions and answers in advance of the test.  When I was asked to participate I think my jaw fell open for a good ten seconds before I expressed my incredulity in words and vigorously refused to participate.

While I have no direct knowledge of what happened after my refusal, I still feel uncomfortable that I never informed the professor of the cheating likely underway.  I would not be surprised if I was one of a very few, if not the only one, who refused to participate.  So the idea of 70 students colluding is not outrageous to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page