• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: summer course job opportunities  (Read 9294 times)
labronx

« on: March 29, 2012, 3:26:06 PM »

Hello all,

Is there a web site center of some sort that lists opportunities for faculty to teach summer courses at other schools?

I was offered the opportunity, planned the notes and then due to a potential conflict had to decline.  They hired someone else (understandable).  Now the conflict is gone, but I feel it unethical to step back in and bump a lecturer who really needs it when I have a permanent job. 

But I have the notes and the material and am ready to roll.  So I would like to search for schools in the country in need of summer course instructors. 

(The person they hired is good.  No politics here except my desire to teach the course and not bump someone else.)

Any advice on how/where to look?  Is there a central site?  How would I search?

LB
corny
maizetastic, grained-up
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 5:23:00 PM »

Are you looking for in-person or online jobs? If the latter, this site that somebody posted a while back might be helpful: http://onlineadjunctjobs.blogspot.com/. If the former - higheredjobs.com will let you search adjunct / part-time faculty listings with the keyword "summer," and this seems to return some results. I'm not sure if there's a better source for such information, though.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
brixton

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 3:22:08 PM »

Have you checked with schools -- CC, regional -- in the area?  They're sometimes looking for summer school help.  They sometimes list the openings on their web sites.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 4:27:06 PM »

A few years back I taught some summer graduate courses at a big urban university. They had a very large MA program in history and many of their students were teachers and wanted summer courses. but their faculty was largely disinterested in summer teaching. It was a sweet deal, they paid a good amount per course and provided an apartment. They sought to recruit people like me, people qualified to teach grad classes but without the opportunity at their current institutions.

I found out about it because I had a friend on the faculty there, but it was advertised in the CHE and I think on my disciplinary listserv.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: