Lecture Technique

(1/2) > >>

anonymous:
Hi,
I am a new lecturer who will be teaching a history course soon. I have a never taught a large (50+) introductory course, and feel I might be nervous in a large crowd. (I do well in small seminar classes). I plan on doing a slide lecture format, but, when I get nervous, I tend to forget my train of thought, and stumble over my words. Is reading a lecture (from notes) considered utterly unprofessional? If so, can any of you provide some good advice about how to effectively deliver course content in such a context. Thank you so much...

Jimster:

Rather that writing the whole shebang out, you may want to try an outline or mind map.  

If by "slide" you mean PowerPoint or similar presentation software, organize the visuals with a few headings or even bullet-point slides mixed in.

Fiona:
Reading is OK. Just be animated and don't sound like you're reading.

[%sig%]

40P:
I've taught intro bio to thousands of students in 250-student sections.  You have to be dynamic, entertaining, well-paced and your powerpoint slides have to be eye-popping.  If I were teaching intro history of some sort I wold ask myself "How would Ken Burns put this power point presenation together?".  Include some text in you slides as ques for your lecture.  Google image search is a wonderful thing too.  Reading a transcript of a lecture?  I've never done it, but those who have tell me students hate it.  I'm always disappointed when I see a colleague read from a transcript during a professional seminar or when a student does it during a term presentation or seminar course.

anonymous:
Thanks for the advice. All the lecture courses that I had taken as a student were conducted by seasoned professors who knew the material like the back of their hands. Friends have told me of that they've had professors read material from lecture notes. I think that having that option, in the event that I stumble, would put me more at ease. However, I feel like students might think that they are being cheated, or that I don't know my material...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page