• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How not to advertise your college  (Read 18832 times)
methodsman
A necessary but not sufficient

« on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

Sorry, but I didn't know where to put this.

The University of Scranton is advertising itself using a picture of a student in front of a vista which is not Scranton (it looks like some scrubby Mediterranean locale).  So the gist of the advert is "Attend Scranton so you can leave it."  Anyone who has been to Scranton understands that this is actually an effective advert.

mm

http://chronicle.com/campusViewpointArticle/Be-Surprised/444/?otd=Y2xpY2t0aHJ1Ojo6Y3ZzdDo6OmNoYW5uZWw6aG9tZTo6OmN2OnRoZS11bml2ZXJzaXR5LW9mLXNjcmFudG9uLGFydGljbGU6YmUtc3VycHJpc2Vk

anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 9:54:03 PM »

You know, I really don't find this to be a problematic advertisement at all.  I don't have any relationship with the University of Scranton, but I don't see what's objectionable about promoting their study abroad opportunities as one of several positive aspects of their curriculum.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
notaprof
Not a

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »

I agree with anisogamy.  Every college I know of with an active study abroad program uses that in their promotional materials.  If the school makes it possible for a large percentage of their students to study abroad then they should be proud of that.

madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 9:59:13 AM »

Scranton is going to have to try a lot harder to embarrass themselves if they want to beat the nadir set by the "Drake is where you get your D+" campaign.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »

I agree with anisogamy.  Every college I know of with an active study abroad program uses that in their promotional materials.  If the school makes it possible for a large percentage of their students to study abroad then they should be proud of that.

I agree, too.

mm must be anti-Dunder Mifflin.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »

I'm just glad that I'm not one of the four or five Black faculty here who keep being pulled out for photographs on the school webpage.

Taste o' the Sixties
generalpost

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 1:51:55 PM »

Well I know this region all too well. Scranton appeals to a fairly local population of students even though it has some very good departments and programs. But given it does, for some strong students from the region, a college education can be viewed as a ticket out of the region (and mining etc). Pictures of places abroad make that seem all the more likely. I must admit that it is an odd way to promote the school but maybe marketing suggested it was a better sell.
biotech4u

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 2:09:10 PM »

I wouldn't mind being on advertisements for a school as long as they pay me extra! I am photogenic.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 3:24:46 PM »

I couldn't pull up the link.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 6:26:37 PM »

Scranton is going to have to try a lot harder to embarrass themselves if they want to beat the nadir set by the "Drake is where you get your D+" campaign.

I'd forgotten about that!  Thanks for bringing back those happy memories.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: