• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 210
  Print  
Author Topic: All Things Uterine  (Read 813736 times)
lohai0
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2235 on: April 30, 2012, 2:09:34 PM »

Update:

By some miracle, Dr. Quack left, and the new GP I've been assigned to did an endocrine residency. When she saw my old blood tests and the note that I was taken off thyroid, she went ballistic...the tests indicated my dosage should have been increased six months ago, not decreased to zero. After a five minute exam she told me she didn't even want to know how bad my TSH levels were now, so she put me back on my old dose. In six weeks I'll go in for a follow up test to see how much it needs to go up from there. I am so relieved someone finally listened to me.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #2236 on: April 30, 2012, 2:22:13 PM »

Excellent news, Lohai0!

And good riddance to Dr Quack.
palla

« Reply #2237 on: April 30, 2012, 3:43:51 PM »

Excellent, Lohai0!!!  I am glad you finally are getting someone to do what needs to be done!
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2238 on: May 01, 2012, 9:38:08 AM »

That's great, Lohai0!  I hope this means you'll be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed again in just a couple days.

+1 on good riddance to Dr. Quack.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2239 on: May 01, 2012, 7:49:09 PM »

+2! Hope that thyroid kicks in right away, Lohai0.

Now, if the universe plays itself out as it should, Dr Quack will be selling used cars for a living from here on in.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 7:51:06 PM by llanfair » Logged

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
lohai0

« Reply #2240 on: May 01, 2012, 8:01:18 PM »

Thanks. I feel a little better, but my bloodwork also indicated some anemia. I'll settle for not feeling like a corpse at this point.

anorak

« Reply #2241 on: May 11, 2012, 8:39:39 AM »

I'm only up to about page 90 in reading this thread, but I thought I'd jump in and share.  Someone around page 45 or so mentioned having a Bartholin's cyst.  I've now been battling one for about six months that decided to grow significantly in the last month.

I finally got in to see my gynecologist this week, who told me that since it's "just" a cyst and not an abscess, they don't normally do anything about them in this country.  (I'm currently living in a northern European country.)  I expressed my concerns about needing to get it treated -- it's tender (but not particularly painful), it doesn't seem to be going away with Sitz bath treatments, and it grows and is painful during intercourse.

On top of that, my partner and I are moving back to the States this summer for me to take a VAP position.  The position starts in August and the school's insurance takes 90 days to kick in, so I won't have health insurance for several months -- or at best I'll purchase catastrophe insurance.  I told the gyn about this, and she said she can't treat my cyst at her office in any case, but that she'd see if a colleague at a hospital is willing to treat it.  She's supposed to call me back next week.

I'm not feeling optimistic, and I fear that my cyst will become an abscess while I have minimal/no insurance.

Anyway, I just had to vent.  I hope my vent isn't misplaced here.  I know this isn't nearly as severe as what some of you have been dealing with.  Incidentally, I also had an intravaginal ultrasound to check to see if everything was okay since I have short cycles and heavy bleeding, but she said everything was normal.  At least that's some good news since we'd like to try to conceive (as soon as we have long-term employment... sigh).
biomancer

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2242 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »

Anorak, I hope the cyst clears up quickly on its own - or if it doesn't that someone in your Current Country can take care of it before you move.

Depending on which US state you move to, there may be some options for you while you're waiting for the insurance to kick in.  Planned Parenthood and similar women's health/family planning clinics serve as gynecological primary care for uninsured women in a lot of states (PA and OH are the ones with which I'm most familiar, but they can be found in most states, though the governments of some states such as IN and TX seem to be hell-bent on eliminating such programs).  The clinics I've been to, and the clinics I've sent my students to, charge low rates that are typically scaled to whatever the patient can afford. 

I wish you good luck and good health, Anorak!

Lohai0, how's the thyroid treatment working out?

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
lohai0

« Reply #2243 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »

Lohai0, how's the thyroid treatment working out?

This awful period is still going, but it's less bad now. I feel less like a zombie now that I'm on thyroid and prescription strength vitamins (D & iron). I go back in about a month for follow up blood tests...the thyroid dose I'm on now is my old dose, which is almost certainly too low now.

ms_turtle
"Pull up a turtle and sit down." -- Nick Charles, Shadow of the Thin Man

« Reply #2244 on: May 11, 2012, 2:01:31 PM »

Had my annual exam this morning....

...something is still there.

Let's call it Thing #3.

I am not happy. I am scared.  I simply cannot do anything about it right now. I have got to go see my dad (90, under hospice care in the nursing home) as soon as the kids get out of school (one week from today).

I had a significant amount of blood drawn as well. Mainly to check thyroid levels (I'm that age, I guess) and to check tumor markers.

Thing #1 (this time last year) was not cancerous.
Thing #2 (November of last year) was not cancerous.
Thing #3 does not cause any pain or discomfort, but I had a nagging suspicion that something was still there. I really don't think Thing #3 is cancerous either but why do I have all this sh!t growing in my belly? My bet is that Thing #3 is endometrial as well.

I had a mammogram too. I know my test got flagged for extra inspection when I said that my sister was diagnosed this past fall.

This bites.

'I get paid to think, and today I prefer to do my thinking lying down.' -- Inspector Morse

"Oh, PLANS, PLANS, PLANS -- how we make plans into the future, as if the future will most certainly be there!" -- John Irving
biomancer

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2245 on: May 11, 2012, 6:26:08 PM »

{Hugs} and good thoughts to you, Ms.T.  Here's hoping that Thing #3 is just a bit of endometriosis or an ovarian cyst.

wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #2246 on: May 11, 2012, 6:29:12 PM »

I'm only up to about page 90 in reading this thread, but I thought I'd jump in and share.  Someone around page 45 or so mentioned having a Bartholin's cyst.  I've now been battling one for about six months that decided to grow significantly in the last month.

Ah yes. A Bartholin's. As the one on page 45 was mine, you have my profound sympathies.

If it's already painful, and doesn't respond to a salt bath or a hot poultice, chances are that it isn't going away. In fact it's probably already an abscess. You need a course of antibiotics, and you need them now.

Thankfully, in this northern European country with universal health coverage, the locum at my GP surgery took one look at the damn thing and handed me a prescription for antibiotics.

Had my annual exam this morning....

...something is still there.

Let's call it Thing #3.

Persistent bastards, aren't they.

Many very gentle hugs and best of luck Ms_T!
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2247 on: May 12, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »

Anorak and Ms_T, you both have my profound sympathies.  The female reproductive system has a lot to answer for.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #2248 on: May 14, 2012, 1:21:48 AM »

Anorak and MsT, {{{HUGS}}}!

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
lohai0

« Reply #2249 on: May 14, 2012, 1:32:21 AM »

Well, I'm now on week 6 of this period, but it looks like it might stop in another day or two. I think the thyroid meds are helping.

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 210
  Print  

Jump to: