• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:47:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why all the hating on pinstripes?  (Read 10604 times)
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post
Distinguished Senior Member

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »

Ha! and I thought boating jacket.

Boy I love boating jackets. With a straw hat of course. What are the boating hats for men called? Made of straw, flat on top and flat brimmed, with a black ribbon.

Skimmers. Or simply straw boaters.

The boat blazer isn't really pin stripe since the stripes are so wide.

I'd call those wider stripes chalkstripes.

That is not a chalkstrip. This is a chalkstrip. The thing from Viyella is an abomination that should not be seen outside Henley (and Viyella really should know better).

I love the fabric but I've gotten a little too thick and floppy for the style, alas.  Also, with all due respect to fine English tailoring (which I adore and envy), I can fly to Seoul, have three close-to-comparable suits made,  stay in a nice hotel for three nights and still have money left over for nice meals from 2,500 pounds.

Que scay-je?
brixton

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 5:20:29 PM »

Hoi an, Vietnam is even cheaper!  Amazing suits and nice rip-offs of designer dresses for next to nothing.  Spouse plays in an orchestra, and so even got a tux.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 7:01:25 PM »

For a comparison, WH has bought both off the peg and personally tailored (*not* bespoke, alas) at Gieves, and you can really tell the difference. He also used to work for a merchant bank (back in the days when such creatures still existed) with a *huge* HK presence, where a lot of the guys got their suits made up over there, and whilst the HK suits looked OK on a guy with a decent figure, on somebody not so well-proportioned it wasn't so pretty.

Once he gets a new job, I'm going to hammer him over the head until he gets at least tailored at Gieves or Hunstman. No chalkstripes, though; they're spivvy, and they really don't work with short-legged guys!
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 1:34:48 PM »

If you're thin, you can get away with subtle pinstripes.  I have one such suit (out of four.)  But I'm a bit heavy these days, so I'm glad the stripes are almost imperceptible.

Taste o' the Sixties
jonesey
All-Purpose Savage, Barroom Sociologist, and

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

Merce,

We're hanging out, and that's final.  I thought I was the only Sartorialist reader here. 

For men, Put This On is a good primer. 

For the more traditionalist amongst you, The Trad is also very nice, but it's a bit more "bloggy" than straight fashion photos.

Jonesey, I know you're a being of sensitivity and refinement.

Hanging out at the home of leftist zealotry.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »

Merce,

We're hanging out, and that's final.  I thought I was the only Sartorialist reader here. 

For the more traditionalist amongst you, The Trad is also very nice, but it's a bit more "bloggy" than straight fashion photos.

I am pleased to see that putthison recommends Allen Edmonds shoes, which I adore (wearing my walnut Macallisters right now).  I wear them whether I'm wearing pinstripes or not.  (Not the brown ones, as I only have one suit with pinstripes that's appropriate to wear with brown shoes, but that's another story.)

Que scay-je?
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

Merce,

I love Put This On.  (I'm a big fan of Jesse Thorn's other work--I'm a devoted MaxFunster, and love JJGo.)  

And I read the Sartorialist.  *pouts*

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: