• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 9:58:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you twitter or text your students?  (Read 24073 times)
chicago_48

« on: May 07, 2012, 2:42:50 AM »

The only meth of getting in touch w/ our students at the Commu College is through email.  HOwever, I notice a lot of students don't have email on their phones and text messg.
What is your school's policy about communicating w/ students?
anon99
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 8:31:58 AM »

University email account or announcements at the beginning of class.
prof_cj
Still uses actual books for his gradebooks

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 8:34:51 AM »

Student school email.

I don't give out my phone number to students (even though at some schools I've been encouraged to), and I don't expect them to do the same. I make it 150% clear the FIRST day/week of class that I rely on BB and email to make sure they get stuff and can be contacted, and that it's their responsibility to check that sort of stuff almost daily.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 9:02:14 AM »

We have had plenty of other threads about this.

Google voice gives you a free text number.  That way, you can give it to students without giving out your personal cell number.

Obviously don't want to be violating Ferpa -- don't text any grade info or info about a student's status in the class.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
geoteo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 9:10:29 AM »

One of my colleagues used Twitter throughout the semester to communicate with her Micro students--a small, highly motivated group of students.  I have not heard that she wants to expand to her Intro classes

"Since the beginning of time, mankind has yearned for non-stick cookware."
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 9:30:45 AM »

I don't want to live in a world where faculty are expected to do either of these things. (The verb is "tweet," not "twitter.")

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
funkypeanut
Keepin' and droppin' and tweakin'

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 9:38:14 AM »

Add a line in the syllabus that says that students are required to check their school email accounts frequently for class announcements. Or if you have access to BB, use it for announcements and refer students to it in the syllabus. It's better to use an official on-campus system with reliable recording in case you need to prove that you sent the announcement. It's also best to keep discussions with students on-campus physically or virtually. It's more professional and a CYA move in case of grade appeals or plagiarism/academic dishonesty cases.

forest_and_the_trees: "And I keep reading funkypeanut as funkypeasant.  There are so few of those."

Quote from: ptarmigan
"Fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, mix, mix!"
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »

The only meth of getting in touch w/ our students at the Commu College is through email.  HOwever, I notice a lot of students don't have email on their phones and text messg.
What is your school's policy about communicating w/ students?

Unlike Twitter, these fora do not have short word limits for posts. You can write complete words here.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »

Why do you think that tweeting or texting will help your students?

Wouldn't one of the most useful lessons you could teach your students be adjusting to the norms of professional communication like checking email daily?

Say, weren't you the one who wanted to ding students for not reading your mind or living on email to get your last-minute change to class attendance policy?  No, you absolutely should not be allowed to tweet or text students since you clearly still need the lessons in professional communication.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

Say, weren't you the one who wanted to ding students for not reading your mind or living on email to get your last-minute change to class attendance policy?  No, you absolutely should not be allowed to tweet or text students since you clearly still need the lessons in professional communication.

Excellent point, polly.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
dr_alcott

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

Add a line in the syllabus that says that students are required to check their school email accounts frequently for class announcements. Or if you have access to BB, use it for announcements and refer students to it in the syllabus. It's better to use an official on-campus system with reliable recording in case you need to prove that you sent the announcement. It's also best to keep discussions with students on-campus physically or virtually. It's more professional and a CYA move in case of grade appeals or plagiarism/academic dishonesty cases.

All of this.

No way in heck am I texting or tweeting my students. (I'm at a CC too, for what it's worth.)

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

+1, and not just for CYA.  Lots of students still don't tweet or even have cell phones.  Moreover, it's my schools' policy (every one I've ever taught at) that students (a) have official college/university email accounts, and (b) that they check those accounts regularly.  My syllabus always underscores this policy.  I also encourage students to use email (on the CMS for the online students, my regular email for the face-to-face students) to contact me, rather than the phone.  And I encourage them to come to office hours for anything that can't be handled easily via email (like extra assistance, etc.).

I don't twitter, and I don't intend to start trying to reach my students that way, especially when I'd still have to email others.  I don't Facebook them, I don't call them, and I don't leave notes on their dorm doors.  I catch them in class or I use email.  Period.  Otherwise, I'd end up like Drew Barrymore as Mary in He's Just Not That Into You.  (Sorry about the sound quality.  Relevant material starts 20 seconds in, and really gets going at 35 seconds in.)

P.S.  Yes, I'm at a CC, too, as well as at a large research university (I teach at both).

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
aside

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 2:00:21 PM »

No.  I prefer note-in-a-bottle or smoke signals, though I confess these are not green options.
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 3:00:19 PM »

No.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
bama_belle

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 3:08:13 PM »

I tried the text messaging thing with my advisees at my old school, but put an abrupt stop to it when one student took it to the extreme and began texting me at home with things unrelated to advising. We have a twitter account for our Office of Student Services, but it isn't very successful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: