• February 8, 2016
February 08, 2016, 9:23:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Cheaters (on exams)  (Read 33260 times)
pgryffindor

Why is all the rum gone?

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2012, 4:35:48 pm »

Update on my cheater. He just left my office. At first he tried to deny it, so I asked if he would be willing to solve the problem for me again, showing his steps. When he started trying to solve it and kept getting stuck, he put his head in his hands and started crying, let out some less than awesome curse words, and then just said, "Ok. I did it. What does this mean for me now?"

I told him that he would be receiving an F on his final exam, an F on his first exam, and subsequently an F in the course. He signed the faculty disposition form, then left my office still saying curse words under his breath.

So that was...interesting.

My Hogwarts letter got lost in the mail.
frogfactory
Totally Metal
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2012, 4:39:49 pm »

Congrats on getting that done, pgryffindor.  Make sure everything is documented.  He may yet try to go over your head.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2012, 4:44:00 pm »

Update on my cheater. He just left my office. At first he tried to deny it, so I asked if he would be willing to solve the problem for me again, showing his steps. When he started trying to solve it and kept getting stuck, he put his head in his hands and started crying, let out some less than awesome curse words, and then just said, "Ok. I did it. What does this mean for me now?"

I told him that he would be receiving an F on his final exam, an F on his first exam, and subsequently an F in the course. He signed the faculty disposition form, then left my office still saying curse words under his breath.

Justice served.

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2012, 4:56:18 pm »

Good for you. I hope he learned something. You did the right thing.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
ptarmigan
grad student & chief dork dumpling

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2012, 5:12:41 pm »

Nicely done, Pgryffindor.

He's on my roster, but if I've taught him anything, it isn't math.
barcrossliar
I guess anyone can be a

« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2012, 5:58:58 pm »

Good for you.  You did the right thing.
I'm sure the next time you think, "Aw, poor baby," you'll remember that McCheaty also lied to your face and kept it up until you forced his hand.  He confessed only when the lie and the bluff failed.

Every educated person's not a plumb greenhorn.

"where whining mendeth nothing, wherefore whine?"--R.L. Stevenson

+-LR is wise. Listen.
kaysixteen

« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2012, 1:15:08 pm »

Why does he get an F for the first exam, when you did not catch him cheating then?
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2012, 1:15:39 pm »

Why does he get an F for the first exam, when you did not catch him cheating then?

Read the dang thread.

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

pgryffindor

Why is all the rum gone?

« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2012, 1:22:54 pm »

Read the dang thread.

Yes. Thank you. I already discussed this.

kaysixteen

« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2012, 2:11:48 pm »

Yes, I did reread it and discovered that her policy required an F on the first exam as well.  This is unjust.  He did not cheat on it, or at least he was not caught doing so, and apparently had not even been suspected of so doing.
pgryffindor

Why is all the rum gone?

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2012, 2:16:24 pm »

Yes, I did reread it and discovered that her policy required an F on the first exam as well.  This is unjust.  He did not cheat on it, or at least he was not caught doing so, and apparently had not even been suspected of so doing.

Kay, you're missing the point. My policy states that if a student misses an exam for a documented emergency, then there is no make-up exam. Instead, the student's final exam will count twice, as is the case in this situation. You may think it unjust, but that is a consequence of this student cheating on the final. He knew the policy (and that whatever grade he got on the final he would also receive for his exam 1) and the consequences, yet chose to cheat anyway. At that point, it's not my problem anymore.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 2:17:10 pm by pgryffindor » Logged

kaysixteen

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2012, 2:18:22 pm »

Ok, I do see your argument.  Probably the boy should have taken a medical withdrawal, but it is too late for that now.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2012, 2:26:13 pm »

Ok, I do see your argument.  Probably the boy should have taken a medical withdrawal, but it is too late for that now.

Probably the boy shouldn't have cheated on his final exam.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2012, 3:30:56 pm »

Yes, I did reread it and discovered that her policy required an F on the first exam as well.  This is unjust.  He did not cheat on it, or at least he was not caught doing so, and apparently had not even been suspected of so doing.

Kay, you're missing the point. My policy states that if a student misses an exam for a documented emergency, then there is no make-up exam. Instead, the student's final exam will count twice, as is the case in this situation. You may think it unjust, but that is a consequence of this student cheating on the final. He knew the policy (and that whatever grade he got on the final he would also receive for his exam 1) and the consequences, yet chose to cheat anyway. At that point, it's not my problem anymore.

Kay, missing one exam because your sick does not equate to a medical withdrawal at the universities in which I have worked.

I have a similar policy.  Students can miss one of the regular exams (for any reason. I don't care. But only once.). If so, their final is doubled to count for the final and for the missed exam.

It's not unfair or unjust. Mr. Student knew his final exam grade would not only count for the final but also for his first missed exam. Mr. Student chose to cheat which resulted in a 0 on the final and on the first missed exam. It's all about choices.

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

kiana

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2012, 1:36:29 pm »

Got him dead to rights. Clearly and flagrantly cheating, was passing before.

Why do I feel crappy? I know if he's doing it that blatantly in my class he's doing it in others.

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: