• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 137
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reluctant Researcher Thread  (Read 395934 times)
fishprof
After the spawning run is over...then what?
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1590 on: November 15, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »

Sometimes the "you don't know the research as wee as you think you do" is a load of BS which roughly translates to either "you don't give me enough credit" or "we disagree therefore you are wrong"

Take some time to do a critical self- eval and Then you should ask an expert a focused question about the gaps you may have.

Reviewers are not always right, so the first step is always to assess the merits of the criticism.

Good luck

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #1591 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »

I woke up this morning all excited about a few article ideas I've been kicking around.

I jotted thoughts down for an hour.

Feels good!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
data5112

« Reply #1592 on: November 16, 2012, 12:45:05 AM »

Hey y'all:
Just got an R and R and am feeling really sucky about it.  It was kind of one of those mean, nasty, snarky R and R's ("In the event that this piece could be substantially revised . . .")  and it's also making me sort of paranoid (in terms of speculating who may have written it and what their motives were, etc.). Does anyone have any suggested rituals for bouncing back from this?  Unfortunately I gave up alcohol as part of a diet I'm on, which leaves out the most obvious remedy . . .. .
Also, how long do you sit with the suggested revisions before you actually get cracking on them?

And if the reviewer suggests that you don't know the literature as well as you think you do and you have no local colleagues who do anything remotely similar, how weird would it be to connect with someone you know only by reputation and ask them for advice?  It's a relatively new, relatively obscure field.

I don't have any advice, just sympathy to offer. Can you have some cookies instead of booze?

TZ, you sound energized. Glad to hear it!

I'm second-guessing an article that was accepted with minor revisions. Should I let it go, make the revisions, and just know that it isn't my best work? It's a small journal that isn't published online, so I doubt that many people will read it; and I am in need of more publications. I just don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
fishprof
After the spawning run is over...then what?

« Reply #1593 on: November 16, 2012, 7:36:32 AM »

I'm second-guessing an article that was accepted with minor revisions. Should I let it go, make the revisions, and just know that it isn't my best work? It's a small journal that isn't published online, so I doubt that many people will read it; and I am in need of more publications. I just don't know what to do.

Publish.  Number of pubs n+1 > n   

So it isn't your best work, only one paper ever will be.  Meeting the requirements for continued employment or promotion or tenure means you can do more better later.

If you were unemployed for lack of pubs, this could end up being your best work b/c you never get to do more.

Publish

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
bookwriter

« Reply #1594 on: November 24, 2012, 2:15:29 AM »

could not agree with fishprof more...

lately I have been mostly writing in the evening. In some most productive hours I get a lot of writing done. And this often happens when I adopt a criticizing point of view. :p The problem is that such writings produced at moments of discontent or even anger against unjust sayings or glaring flaws of the materials will most certainly need rewriting, re-toning, and modifications with euphemism. Unless an author is finally a truly 100-year old master critic, eminently respected or much feared by other scholars himself, his or her angry criticism will not or should not be published...

Sometimes I miss the grad school days when I was less afraid to raise questions or pose criticism, perhaps because of ignorance. The older one becomes, he or she is more "contextualized" in the academia. This self-contextualization brings knowledge, caution, but often unnecessary emotional baggage and anxiety about offending others. Critical honesty is often seasoned, if not compromised, with much mannerism in necessary cases.

about seven years ago on thanksgiving day, I stayed up all night working on a term paper in the open lounge of a campus building of university A. In the early morning of Friday, around 6:00am, the light of the department office suddenly lit up. It was a really strange moment, since no one else should be in the building at the time. I was distracted for a moment but did not hear anything, and subsequently went on to finish the paper. It turned out to be the first conference paper that I presented in the US. Now seven years' older, I still wish to have that same concentration on writing, and at least the same courage to pose questions and criticism.
lohai0

« Reply #1595 on: November 24, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

I haven't been working on pubs, but I had a major breakthrough on Finito this past week. Finito is down to four discrete tasks. Three are one week tasks and one is probably a one month task. I'm tabling everything else until Finito is done. I'd like to get more pubs out, but Finito comes first.

Finito (Finish analysis, write last section, salvage/rewrites for 3 sections, new chapter 4)

Tables: Sebastian, Viktor, Polyanna, Paul, and the unnamed stuff.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
bookwriter

« Reply #1596 on: November 26, 2012, 2:46:17 AM »

After many mundane days of writing on this essay, it is almost going to be done (5 pages away from the ideal length that I hope to reach and also the maximum length allowed). And it is good to finish this in the last week of November and submit it. I have been working on this for a few months and hope to finish it and move on to other projects in the pipeline. In review of this past semester, this is meaningful because it suggests that I can move on toward the next phase in writing (and freeing in that way).

So... probably will stay up tonight to see what conclusions I can make of for the paper at this stage. From now to Thursday I will do some overall revision and editing and submit on Friday.
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #1597 on: November 26, 2012, 1:15:56 PM »

Go for it, Publish2012!

Enterprise was rejected.  I need a day or two to be able to look at it, but I want to submit it elsewhere before the beginning of the spring term in January.  Reformatting may be a headache for the #2 journal, but at least I know the statistics are sound.

Still haven't found an alternative venue for GLaDOS, as I've been up to my neck in other things, but want to do that on the same timetable.  Ditto for Boomerang.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
formerly_the_fiver
In the clubhouse, a

Keepin' it real?

« Reply #1598 on: November 26, 2012, 4:20:54 PM »

Publish, good for you! Check in with us on Friday once you've submitted it. Biomancer, sorry to hear about Enterprise. I wish you success in getting back on that horse.

I have had minimal time for research ... I'm down to one 25-minute sprint most days. I have a project that I'm aiming for a conference proposal, and another article that still needs a lot of work. I still have not got back to my article that was rejected early in the semester. Perhaps soon?

Hope other reluctants are doing well.

I guess you and me is just a ... couple of hangnails on the fickle finger of fate.
bookwriter

« Reply #1599 on: November 27, 2012, 1:27:40 AM »

thanks formerly and biomancer! biomancer, hope you find new venues for your multiple essays! formerly, hope your proposal is progressing well. The essay I have at hand is at the appropriate length now but I am still hoping to write just three pages more and bring together a few previously argued points. Plan of staying up late on it failed as usual. Plan of sleep well and get up and write efficiently in normal hours worked.
sending good vibes to you all.
bookwriter

« Reply #1600 on: November 28, 2012, 3:12:38 AM »

essay done: 200 words over maximum allowed length. but done, three days earlier than I planned. It feels good to finish it; although it might look a little strange and very different from what I have written before, it is good in that way, somehow. and it is only midnight; I don't have to stay up.
This means I can actually have two days of editing and revising, submit it on time and have a good conscience for some gift shopping.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 3:13:36 AM by publish2012 » Logged
bookwriter

« Reply #1601 on: December 08, 2012, 5:17:08 PM »

hello!!! how's everyone doing? Our thread needs to go up.

And to contribute to the renewed presence of the reluctant researcher thread, I will report the below:
I have been preparing for a short presentation paper. And once again, as always, I have mountainous materials linked together by very good theoretical concepts but with very scant background information. Writing papers on big topics is good in that there is room to develop it into a rich essay. The challenging part is: the journey generally begins at one end of a forest, and you definitely have to make your own way through the wilderness.

all the same, this paper will be done in time as the other ones. sending good vibes to you all. let's keep this thread up.
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #1602 on: December 08, 2012, 6:14:25 PM »

Conference proposals are in - my co-authors and I are planning to take this to three different conferences.

I've been too busy with the Big Crazy Project That Shouldn't Be My Job But Nobody Else Is Qualified To Do It to make any progress on the papers.  Now that I'm mostly done with that I need to get all three papers re-submitted by the end of the year.

How's everyone else doing?

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #1603 on: December 09, 2012, 2:02:56 PM »

Well, I'm sliding back in here after a long absence that involved moving and beginning a new job, and a serious lack of attention to my research. Wow. I never thought it would happen to me, you know? So, of course, I did the only reasonable thing--avoided coming anywhere near here.

Yeah, so, I'm ready to recommit, and grateful to see you all still here! I did, in the midst of all the crazy, manage to actually finish revising and resubmit the Neverending Article in September. I just got back an acceptance pending final (fairly) minor revisions, so will need to get that done over the break. I also have a co-authored piece working that I presented on during the fall, and some notes on a third article that is related to a special topics course I'm teaching in the spring. Right now, that feels like all I can manage on top of the new teaching demands and another major professional project (editor for a new online journal).

Biomancer, ftf, lohai0, and publish2012, so nice to see you all, and good research/writing thoughts to you!

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
bestday

« Reply #1604 on: December 09, 2012, 3:11:52 PM »

I would love to join you if I may. I am juggling research and teaching, trying to be as productive as possible. I started to mark down the time I spend working on my project both to keep myself motivated and to keep track of my work on different projects.  I usually have two days for research and translations, morning to afternoon, two days of teaching (I sometimes manage to get an hour on these days to get some writing done) and one day teaching prep (also sometimes manage to write for an hour or two). I rarely work on weekends due to family reasons.
So here are my current projects:

1. translation work G: must finish next week
2. conference presentation KF: must finish within 3 weeks
3. long term book project X: I am working on the first chapter called XN
4. paper D-A: due end of March
5. paper M-P: due end of Febr.
6. paper H: no deadlines, needs still some research and structure
7. paper LSO: no deadlines, pretty advanced, needs probably about 20 hours work
8. translation work D: will begin in Jan., long term project

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 137
  Print  

Jump to: