• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:55:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejection Letter Genres?  (Read 231819 times)
data5112

« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2012, 1:03:05 AM »

How about The Rude Awakening?

This is when your phone rings at 6:30AM, the Monday after a campus interview at East Coast SLAC, with a rejection from a peppy Search Committee Member that clearly doesn't understand the concept of TIME ZONES! 

What a way to start a day.

Ouch. This one sounds particularly awful. Sorry, copykat. Don't you wish you could call this person back late at night and say, "oh, I'm sorry. Wrong number. I was trying to get in touch with the SC chair at Harvard about my job offer. I was afraid they were offering me too much money, and wanted to double check the figure before signing my contract in the morning. Oops! Well, have a good evening... Oh it's midnight there? I'm so sorry. Buh-bye!"

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
firstqiz

« Reply #541 on: November 24, 2012, 8:21:29 PM »

The You Fell For It category:

"We received numerous applicants for this position. However, we were fortunate to have an internal candidate that met the qualifications of this position."
writingprof

« Reply #542 on: November 25, 2012, 1:40:30 PM »

"We received numerous applicants for this position. However, we were fortunate to have an internal candidate that met the qualifications of this position."

Can this be real?  Why would a university intentionally sow bad will like this?
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2012, 6:17:33 PM »

Yeah, I find that a bit unbelievable as well. Firstqiz, if it's true, maybe you should consider posting that on the Universities to Fear page on the wiki. Maybe that's a little extreme, but it's a very offputting rejection....

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2012, 8:36:07 PM »

How about The Rude Awakening?

This is when your phone rings at 6:30AM, the Monday after a campus interview at East Coast SLAC, with a rejection from a peppy Search Committee Member that clearly doesn't understand the concept of TIME ZONES! 

What a way to start a day.

Ouch. This one sounds particularly awful. Sorry, copykat. Don't you wish you could call this person back late at night and say, "oh, I'm sorry. Wrong number. I was trying to get in touch with the SC chair at Harvard about my job offer. I was afraid they were offering me too much money, and wanted to double check the figure before signing my contract in the morning. Oops! Well, have a good evening... Oh it's midnight there? I'm so sorry. Buh-bye!"

This made me laugh out loud.

To firstqiz: Wow!

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #545 on: November 26, 2012, 2:40:34 AM »

Yeah, I find that a bit unbelievable as well. Firstqiz, if it's true, maybe you should consider posting that on the Universities to Fear page on the wiki. Maybe that's a little extreme, but it's a very offputting rejection....

It is real. I received one too.
jamst179

« Reply #546 on: November 26, 2012, 6:01:16 PM »

Just received this :( I thought it was very classy, but it still stung!

Dear ______________,

The search committee was genuinely impressed with your qualifications and enthusiastic interest in our program.  At this point in time, conditions in our department oblige us to find individuals exemplifying a unique collection of needs.  We have identified a set of candidates who best fit this variety.  It was a very challenging task and the entire committee thought very highly of you!

Out of respect for your need for timely notification, I must inform you that you are not, at this time, one of the finalists.  As you know, position searches involve a number of variables and we may need to readjust our thinking with changes in our finalist pool. Please inform _____________ if you wish for your file to remain active. In addition, please continue to peruse the website, as additional positions might become available.

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #547 on: November 26, 2012, 6:03:45 PM »

That's very classy, and also kind.  If it "stung," you need some skin-strengthening exercises pronto!

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #548 on: November 26, 2012, 6:35:48 PM »

Just received this :( I thought it was very classy, but it still stung!

Dear ______________,

The search committee was genuinely impressed with your qualifications and enthusiastic interest in our program.  At this point in time, conditions in our department oblige us to find individuals exemplifying a unique collection of needs.  We have identified a set of candidates who best fit this variety.  It was a very challenging task and the entire committee thought very highly of you!

Out of respect for your need for timely notification, I must inform you that you are not, at this time, one of the finalists.  As you know, position searches involve a number of variables and we may need to readjust our thinking with changes in our finalist pool. Please inform _____________ if you wish for your file to remain active. In addition, please continue to peruse the website, as additional positions might become available.

The genre:  The Letter was so Kind and Thoughtful that Now I'm Really Sorry that I'm not in your Department.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
zyzzx

« Reply #549 on: December 11, 2012, 9:39:06 PM »

The huh? letter - the one that arrives so long after the position closed that it takes you a minute and a look at your old 'applied to' list to figure out what job they're even talking about.
This one is then accompanied by a bit of relief once you figure out that it's not for one of the jobs that you think you're still in contention for.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #550 on: December 12, 2012, 9:35:47 PM »

The huh? letter - the one that arrives so long after the position closed that it takes you a minute and a look at your old 'applied to' list to figure out what job they're even talking about.
This one is then accompanied by a bit of relief once you figure out that it's not for one of the jobs that you think you're still in contention for.

That would be the Blast from the Past genre

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
mazerunner

« Reply #551 on: December 13, 2012, 7:16:52 PM »

I just got a "friendly" rejection letter stating that while my application presented a "strong portfolio of talents," the search committee has "moved forward with a small number of finalists whose area of expertise coincided more narrowly with what we were seeking."  Then they said they would "certainly" keep my application on file for another "appropriate opening" in the future.  That seemed great until I saw that my name was included on the Bcc line and the From and To fields of the email were both the same person.

So this was really a generic form letter that made it sound like I was someone special at first.  I guess I'll call it a You're Great, But So Is Everyone Else And That's Why You All Get Told That In Secret rejection.

So I guess if another position comes up in the near future with this university, I'll be competing with the same rejects in the Bcc line of my most recent rejection (because they're "certainly" keeping my application on file!).  Stay classy!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 7:17:49 PM by mazerunner » Logged
macattack

« Reply #552 on: December 19, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »

Do we already have an Oops! Just kidding! Our bad! genre?  That would be the one where you get the mailed letter rejecting you and stating an offer had been made to someone else and accepted, followed three days later by the email that you should not have received that letter and Dr. Smith would be in touch in the future.
writingprof

« Reply #553 on: December 21, 2012, 9:44:09 AM »

Let's Not Be Friends

The subject line of the email begins with [Do Not Reply].
apostrophe

« Reply #554 on: December 22, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »

one of the 'reserves'

I see this as a polite rejection.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: