• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:09:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Community College administration  (Read 4265 times)

« on: November 25, 2012, 6:14:59 PM »

Tomorrow I've got an interview for a dean-level position at a community college.  I've got a lot of teaching and administrative experience at universities, and a little teaching experience at a community college.  Any suggestions on how to prepare?  What kinds of questions might I expect, especially how interviews differ at community colleges versus universities? 

I probably should have posted this question a week ago, but it's only during my final preparations that I thought about the forums here.  Thanks
zuzu_
Frakking
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »

Dean of what?

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »

Dean of Liberal Arts.
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

Thanks for the extra info. The reason I asked is because the CCs I've worked have all kinds of deans--Student Life, Distance Ed, Admissions, you name it. So I would assume that this is Dean of Faculty-LA

I am guessing you will have a lot of faculty on your SC. In this case, you should REALLY focus on doing a lot of listening. When it's your turn to ask questions, I would ask things like "What are your students like?" "What is it like to be a faculty member here?" "What kinds of things do you think need to be changed?" What is your favorite thing about working here?" "What do you think makes a good Dean?" And then be an EXCELLENT listener.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 3:16:21 PM »

Didn't get back to this board for a while after my interview.  Thanks for your help, zuzu.  It was helpful.
bud04
I was preparing to prepare but.....

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 8:56:04 PM »

OP, what happened with your administrative job search at the community college level?

We ain't all that perceptive. If it's a problem, we go out to the woods and shoot it.
                                           Prytania3
edugypsy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 9:49:18 AM »

I'd like to resurrect this thread if possible.  I have the identical question.  I have an interview, which will be conducted on campus, for the position of Dean of Liberal Arts at a community college in a very desirable area in Northern California.  I have taught at community colleges and have served as chair of an English department at a small liberal arts college and then also served as Director of Academic Advising at the same college.  This small institution was basically open admissions so both the size of the campus and the characteristics of the students prepared me well for a CC admin job. 

Can anyone give me suggestions on what I might expect on the interview?  What kinds of questions should I anticipate?  What will they be looking for?  What kinds of things can I do to prepare?

Thank you in advance.  I'm really interested in this job.  The interview isn't until December 19 so I've got a little time to prepare.
cep977

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:40:40 AM »

Good luck. Sorry I don't have any knowledge to offer, but would love to hear how it goes (looking at that avenue longer term myself).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: