• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:34:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrrr..... is it winter yet?  (Read 36769 times)
drspouse
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 6:36:49 PM »

The duck pond flooded the main road on campus today.

I feel a VC expenses scandal coming on.
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 6:56:06 AM »

Lovely here. Clear, cold, and not a breath of wind. But definitely cold.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
scotia

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 1:59:52 PM »

Lovely here. Clear, cold, and not a breath of wind. But definitely cold.

Same here. I had fun photographing frost and ice. I had to get in fast because it won't last the night.
testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 4:00:28 AM »

Please, please, please don't let my fence blow over. [looking nervously out the back window at my fence swaying alarmingly in the storm winds]

Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana.
scotia

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 1:43:05 PM »

Our local council has issued an alert for a 'flash freeze' tomorrow morning, with overnight rain washing away salt and then freezing on roads and pavements. Should make for an interesting commute - I hope not to drive (ie I hope the trains will be unaffected), but the walking but could be interesting (and I have to be in early for a 9 am class). My YakTrax are in my rucksack ready.
science_expat

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 3:19:16 PM »

What fun. Thogh Yaktrax are fantastic.

In Brussels where it's just become quite cold. Flying to San Francisco in morning, however, where it's not a problem.

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
drspouse

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 6:19:00 PM »

We lit our fire and had hot chocolate today... mmm....
scotia

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 6:25:20 PM »

In Brussels where it's just become quite cold. Flying to San Francisco in morning, however, where it's not a problem.

I'll trade you an icy 9 am lecture.......
science_expat

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 1:53:30 AM »

No thanks. Not keen on the journey but you've reminded me that there are worse things I could be doing today.

scotia

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 4:19:58 AM »

No thanks. Not keen on the journey but you've reminded me that there are worse things I could be doing today.

Always glad to be of service!

The pavements in ScotiaVille were "challenging" (I walked on the road most of the way, and even that was a tad slippy), but the ice was pretty much a non-event in UniversityCity until I got to the stone flags on the public road by campus. Should be an interesting stroll to my lecture.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 7:13:55 AM »

The pavements in ScotiaVille were "challenging" (I walked on the road most of the way, and even that was a tad slippy), but the ice was pretty much a non-event in UniversityCity until I got to the stone flags on the public road by campus. Should be an interesting stroll to my lecture.

How many sightings of unsuitable student footwear followed by student doing a Bambi on ice did you manage on the walk?

Not quite so chilly down here -- a balmy 4C -- but we've also got 80% humidity, with the inevitable result that the wrist is aching like hell.
scotia

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 1:34:37 PM »

How many sightings of unsuitable student footwear followed by student doing a Bambi on ice did you manage on the walk?

Not quite so chilly down here -- a balmy 4C -- but we've also got 80% humidity, with the inevitable result that the wrist is aching like hell.

You think I see students at 9 am? Optimist! I did have a sighting of one of my less favorite administrators having a quick slip and then looking around furtively to check no-one had seen. I gave him a cheery wave.....
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 6:03:37 AM »

Very brrrrrr here in the Royal County....

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
scotia

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 6:39:40 AM »

Very brrrrrr here in the Royal County....

It is very brrrrr (sp?) here too, but the sun is shining so I love it!
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 6:42:03 AM »

Snow forecast for tomorrow!!  If only it had been a few degrees colder when we had all that rain...

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: