• May 25, 2016

Chronicle Forums

May 25, 2016, 7:12:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:05:57 am 
Started by wandalynn15 - Last post by tenured_feminist
Sometimes for whatever reason, a class just doesn't work. I usually get good evals, but a few years ago, I had one that started going badly from the first week and just never turned around. I still don't know what was up with that group of students. I was using the same syllabus and same techniques that I always do. I remember feeling like they were a bunch of vampires sucking the joy out of my life by the midterm point, and I remember being unsurprised by the negative evals, but now? Heck, I can't remember what class it was, what level, or what term.

Sometimes it really is them, not you. Shake it off and have a summery drink with an umbrella in it!

on: Today at 07:05:44 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by polly_mer
I guess I might feel differently if I'd love in one city for 35 years too. But that's going to be not too many PhD holders,  who are most likely to have already moved once for grad school even if undergrad was close to hone.

Hmm, our experiences vary quite a lot.  My experience has been that a fair number of people pick graduate and undergraduate schools based on proximity to home and then go on the market so selectively that they have almost no shot of obtaining a TT position.  I've seen it offline (we have multiple people who live at least 2 hours away with all their degrees from institutions in that city) and seen I-don't-know-how-many threads here.  Perhaps you're not reading the same adjunct plight threads that I am where one of the primary arguments is people feel stuck because they have good emotional lives so they don't want to move far, but can't find a full-time teaching job where they are and no comparable professional-level job exists that would use their graduate degrees.

One of the reasons that compass state institutions have graduate programs in some areas is people don't want to move too far from home.  One of the reasons these fora repeatedly have to point out how useless a fully online graduate degree from a for-profit is on the academic job market is people don't want to go that far from home.

While it's true that people do sometimes move an hour or three away for higher education, people who have very close ties to an area often balk at moving more than three hours away or make interesting choices like driving four hours (each way) nearly every weekend.  We have multiple people on our campus doing that as well.

on: Today at 06:56:46 am 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by tenured_feminist
Eh, I am going to disagree here. I don't think that the way to get past racial prejudice and structural racism is by ignoring the reality that any denizen of the United States (and most other countries) has a racial identity. I do think it can be tricky to talk about race, but it shouldn't be completely avoided for that reason. And it's important to remember that the students, too, need to learn how to talk about race. Some of them may be better at it than some of us, but some may be worse and may hold to a fairly naive perspective that any acknowledgment of race is racist. Hopefully college is a place where they can learn a more sophisticated way of thinking.

Hard to know what happened in Kay's class without having been there, but if race had been addressed in previous classes, the single comment on a single evaluation may mean as much as a comment in a class on gender and blah blah that too much time was spent talking about lesbians instead of Hillary Clinton's run for the presidency.

on: Today at 06:46:15 am 
Started by spork - Last post by hibush
This salacious story finally comes to an end with the appointment of a new dean and Saloner's stepping down as the semester comes to a close. Having the story drag out over a year has been a great boon to those of us who relish the schadenfreude of watching one of the premier institutions wallow in TMZ-level mendacity.

The new dean is "is an expert on industrial organization," which is an expertise that can evidently put to good use in his administrative role.

on: Today at 05:56:03 am 
Started by edelhog7 - Last post by verstrickt
I've seen these kinds of notes and letters from students and former students go in a special section of the teaching portfolio.

on: Today at 04:36:43 am 
Started by sikora - Last post by verstrickt
I'm reading that new(ish) biography of Alexander von Humboldt, The Invention of Nautre on buses and trains and other snatched bits of time during my Maymester teaching abroad. I think Wulf slightly exaggerates and overstates her claims about Humboldt at times, but it's impeccably researched and a great read.

on: Today at 04:18:44 am 
Started by tijuanafina - Last post by tijuanafina
Thank you so much everyone.

This topic, it's always hot and always presented as panels or several-days worth of panels at every major conference.

Big names in it recently held a conference on it and had so many submissions they added a second conference. They still couldn't fit in 75% of the submissions.

But these types of topic specific conferences were like "one offs" and not anything with any sort of structure or lasting-ness.

I guess my end goal is to have a structure to my topic. One that has an open dialogue in terms of genre and timeframe.

One that meets with a more cohesive regularity rather than sub-grouping at major conferences or forming cliques (which has happened and resulted in clique-type publications).

I'm pretty sure everyone involved even the Ivy League big names would be on board.

It's like Dickens big-ness type of deal. But maybe even bigger due to its flexibility in terms of architecture, history, poli sci, literature and other genres.

on: Today at 03:59:44 am 
Started by funkyacademic - Last post by betterslac
I'm not including one from my current institution in Foreignland in part because I want to keep my search confidential and partly because I'm not sure it would be helpful given the difference in customs.  But I'm beginning to wonder if that is the right call.

on: Today at 03:40:15 am 
Started by tinyzombie - Last post by scampster
Update: the game was a total success! Though I'm not sure they (or I) have any intention of continuing.

They battled a gelatinous cube (agar from the media/plate facility) and then a rival scientist/sorcerer who was trying to curse their research and steal their results. They let him go after he gave a sob story about cuts in grant funding from the National Institutes of Healing.

Sounds great, greyscale!

on: Today at 02:49:01 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by wet_blanket

I had a similar reaction. I don't think I would necessarily want to permanently leave my entire family and all of my friendships  for a career. I'd rather do a different career and remain in the US. I didn't spend 35 years building relationships here just to move 5000 miles away and start from scratch. But that's me, and I have a lot of colleagues who would gladly do just that. I would actually say I'm probably in the minority among those I know. I guess I don't "love" this career enough.

I don't think people like you with established 35 year careers were the target audience, nor is anyone suggesting that someone like you should consider leaving. I think the target audience was people just starting out after getting their PhDs, who are having trouble getting any kind of decent foothold in the academic job market.  And of course, as mouseman points out, implicitly the target audience is white straight men etc.

My bet is "35 years" refers to life experience, not career length, in this case.   I read Scout46 as indicating valuing current friends and family over having a specific career if the choice has to be made.

But it's not like crossing an international border magnifies difference. If one lives a couple hours drive from a non-hub west coast airport and one's family lives a couple of hours from a non-hub east coast airport, someone living in Quito might have a shot at getting home faster.  Certainly one could get to Houston faster from Mexico City than from Portland, Maine.  Granted, things are different when you start crossing oceans.   

I guess I might feel differently if I'd love in one city for 35 years too. But that's going to be not to many PhD holders,  who are most likely to have already moved once for grad school even if undergrad was close to hone.

Though, I do tend to agree that I wouldn't make life-altering decisions on the basis of career benefit.  I would pursue an alternative  career in the location of my choice rather than live somewhere I didn't  want to be just because it was good for my career. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10