• November 27, 2015

Chronicle Forums

November 27, 2015, 4:59:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 04:58:28 pm 
Started by nebo113 - Last post by untenured
Trump advocates whatever is best for Trump. He's no fascist. He's an opportunist.

My guess is that he commenced his presidential run as a protest and publicity stunt to build his brand and ratings. Then he realized that is bombastic speeches actually had a following, and turned this into a serious run for president.

Now that establishment GOP has their hands full with an angry mob of far-right wingers to contend with. It's hard to be sympathetic, and they actively courted these voters and trained them to distrust virtually everyone in government. It turns out that includes the establishment.

You reap what you sow.

on: Today at 04:54:25 pm 
Started by pphillipp - Last post by untenured
I haven't. Unfortunately, our school's merit and promotion system blinds us to all but a select few outlets.  We have a list of quality journals. If you publish in a journal that's not on that list, it may be worthless or possibly have a negative impact on your record (why is she publishing there? She must not produce good scholarship).

So any journal I haven't heard of, is essentially useless to me.

on: Today at 04:46:53 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by systeme_d_
I've been using this brand for years now.  I highly recommend them.  The mineral powder bases are $15, but they are large in size.  They have excellent color choices, including for folks with cool/pink undertones and warm/yellow-beige undertones.  I can't say that for all brands.

on: Today at 04:41:05 pm 
Started by pphillipp - Last post by untenured
This sounds like someone who may be on the autism spectrum or have asperger's. One of the traits is the inability to recognize facial features or subtle social cues. Neurotypical people are relatively astute in understanding when someone is conversationally disinterested -- people look away, interact with other things, or don't smile.  Some folks, however, are unable read this signals, as obvious as they are to most of us. To this person and some ASD/aspies, silence implies, 'go ahead I'm interested, keep on talking!', when in fact we may be utterly disengaged.

I tried this with an aspie friend. He was lecturing me at a party on electronics. I listened for a time, but the details of circuit boards had just gone on too long. I first withheld interest prompts ("Really? That's interesting. I had no idea."), and he kept talking. I then stopped smiling, he kept talking. I looked at other things in the room, he kept talking. I then caught the glance of a nearby friend and raised my eyebrows in despair, a rude gesture to most, and he still kept talking.  Finally, I interrupted him and said, "We have been talking about electronics for too long. I am no longer interested in this topic or this conversation. I am now going to talk to someone else now." And I did.  His response? He was shocked.  He had no idea how bored I was. After a moment to recover, he got the message, and sometime later at a quiet moment I told him about conversational cues and responses. Most of what I said was news to him, and he grudgingly admitted that he had difficulty reading facial expressions.  He just wanted to talk to people like anyone else, but lacked to skills to sense the wants and needs of others.

I'll leave the question of how to step away to others, but he's likely talking the way he does for a reason, at least in his mind.

on: Today at 04:30:18 pm 
Started by flavianlady - Last post by flavianlady
- Hard boiled eggs. They are fine out of the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Nuts. My favorite are Costco's mixed nuts.
- String cheese, or mozzarella cheese balls, also from Costco. Also fine out of the fridge for 12-24 hours.
- While we're on the topic of Costco, they have delicious single-serve guacamole cups. They are good with carrots or other veggies, but I usually eat them plain or with pretzels. Freeze them, and they last all day w/o additional refrigeration.

I couldn't find the mini-guac cups, but I did get a box of single-serve hummus at Costco, and will be bringing those with some carrots and cucumber bits next week to try out. I also pre-boiled a few eggs on Sunday, and while I did not take them to school, I did enjoy having a ready-made snack in the fridge while working at home.

Everything bagel
Trader Joe's whipped cream cheese
quality sliced ham or turkey from the deli
a tiny bit of hard salami (yes, I know that will probably make me die sooner, but it's totally worth it)
wasabi mayo (just a bit, enough to coat the top half of the bagel)

I make this the night before (my mornings are a little hectic), wrap it in wax paper, stuff it in a little plastic bag, and then I just grab it in the morning before catching the bus.  Bagels do not get soggy and they don't get smushed.

This sounds great, and I may try to put together something similar in future. You're right about bagels: they can take more of a beating than sliced bread, and fill my tum up more efficiently. My only problem is finding quality bagels around here...

All these suggestions have also helped me redefine "lunch" away from a structured meal toward a collection of nibblets. My biggest concern is finding foods that are relatively dry, produce little waste, and don't require utensils to eat. 

My successes so far:
A small container of blueberries was easily devoured in the classroom before the first students filed in. 
Mini Babybel cheeses are super easy to nibble upon and the wax wrapper is non-offensive in the trash.
Snack-sized zipper-seal bags of almonds, pumpkin seeds, chocolates, and mixed nuts are now a permanent fixture of my travel bag. Indeed, I was grateful for this addition while waiting in line at the store today during BlackFriday madness!

on: Today at 04:28:57 pm 
Started by pphillipp - Last post by pphillipp
Thanks for the additional replies.

I do try (hungry_ghost) to be a decent person, and a kind person (especially since I see so much nastiness in academia these days) (to say nothing of the entire world).  I would indeed have lunch with him if we happened to be in the same city/at the same uni for whatever reason - I just couldn't imagine spending an entire weekend with him.  It would be exhausting (and not much fun).  Maybe I'm not such a decent person after all...

on: Today at 03:34:27 pm 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by archaeo42
Much to my chagrin, I discovered today that e.l.f appears to have discontinued their loose mineral powder makeup.  Reviews of their pressed powder options don't impress me and there seem to be issues now with the coloring and matching skin tone.  So, I'm looking around for recommendations on reasonably priced (e.g. under $10) loose mineral powders.  Ulta and CoverGirl Tru Blend seem to be possibilities but I'd be grateful for other suggestions. 

on: Today at 03:16:25 pm 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by summers_off
Just because you are using a fun approach, doesn't mean you can't have serious learning.  I did an experiential exercise last week that used Legos.  One student literally shouted in a very nostalgic tone:  "OOH!!  "I LOOOVE LEGOS" as I handed out the pieces.    However, the students took the exercise very seriously and the debrief where we tied the exercise to the concepts and theory it demonstrated was productive. 

Tapping into students' positive emotions and memories can prime them for learning something new.   

on: Today at 03:03:48 pm 
Started by phd_job_seeker - Last post by mtnlover
Good school, great area and quality of life.  Not a research hub if you want that.

on: Today at 03:01:23 pm 
Started by john_proctor - Last post by mtnlover
OK - every year I get a signed baseball from my father-in-law. Last year was Stan Musial!

Would you choose Tom Seaver or David Ortiz this year?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10