• May 6, 2016

Chronicle Forums

May 06, 2016, 6:34:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 06:34:09 pm 
Started by spork - Last post by spork
Not dire, but Morehead State U announces ~ $10 million deficit. Thirteen faculty positions will be on the chopping block:

http://www.moreheadstate.edu/News/2016/May/MSU_announces_budget_reduction_recommendations/.

on: Today at 06:32:59 pm 
Started by paper19690 - Last post by merinoblue
That sounds like something to celebrate, Thatmoody.  But I'm hearing a different motivation behind your action than obligation, or "everyone else is announcing their status, it seems, so I guess I should."  Joy!  Liberation! 

It's the idea that anyone should feel obliged to go along with what looks like an emerging social convention that prompted my strong response. I don't believe anyone should feel any pressure to announce their relationship status to anyone, through any medium, under any circumstances, just because other people are doing it.  I think there is already so much pressure to make the details of our private lives public, and what's happened is that our sense of entitlement to refuse this nosiness is eroding.  I grew up hearing my parents say, "That's none of your business" to folks.  I don't recall the last time I heard anyone say that.  When I do use that expression, people look wounded, shocked, and/or offended.

on: Today at 06:13:24 pm 
Started by melba_frilkins - Last post by merinoblue
Hear your cats here

The thread title that keeps on giving.

on: Today at 06:04:05 pm 
Started by paper19690 - Last post by craftyprof
Just because I choose not to share doesn't mean it is wrong to share.  It's cool that you chose to share your joy, thatmoody.

If you do update your status, I think it's probably one notch more serious than introducing a significant other to your parents/kids.  Once you've told the people who deserve to find out someplace other than social media, I think you're clear to post on social media.

on: Today at 05:53:43 pm 
Started by atalanta - Last post by zuzu_
Ergative, you are an excellent human being.

on: Today at 05:49:36 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by fiona
By chance, I had lunch today with a few ex-wives of physicists.

They were glad to be able to speak for themselves.

The Fiona

on: Today at 05:46:04 pm 
Started by frankenstein - Last post by fslady
Please try to listen to him and watch his quality of life. The vet and breeder friends kept telling me that GoodGuy would tell me when he was ready to go. He may have told me but I didn't listen, so one morning I woke up to find that he'd had a stroke during the night just a few feet from my bed.  But our wonderful vet did make a housecall and I was able to hold GoodGuy at the last. 
Good Luck and good decisions.

on: Today at 05:44:56 pm 
Started by fishbrains - Last post by mouseman
Jo and I had an errand to run, and Mr. A is teaching tonight, so we left Little Man (13) home alone and in charge of the pets. I told him to feed the dog. He promised he would.

An hour later, we're back home, and this happens:

Me: Did you feed Bronson?
LM: Oh! I forgot! I'm sorry!
Me: OK. Do it now.
LM: OK.
[LM leaves room]
[LM comes back a minute later]
Me: So you took care of it?
LM: What?
Me: Bronson! You fed him?
LM! OH! I forgot! I'm sorry!
[leaves room again]
[comes back a minute later]
Me: So you fed him this time, right?
LM: Oh man!
[leaves room]

That kid.

I remember being that kid.  Also, to some degree, that adult.  Not that anybody else here goes into a room and then has to think to remember what they went in there for, I'm sure?

LM and you are in good company.

on: Today at 05:44:41 pm 
Started by atalanta - Last post by ergative
I've been posting on the grade-grubbing thread, but I think this email reflects an understanding that the grade will not change, so it belongs here instead:

It has taken a lot of thinking but I am not dissatisfied with my performance in the class as I am with the class its-self. I am not satisfied that I asked you if I should drop the class and you said no. I am not satisfied that I studied over 20 hours for the final alone and still got a 59% and the class average was a 70%. A 70% is barely a C- so that is saying something about the class. Maybe when I take this class again I will have a professor that will actually be able to first not have about half of the class drop and second not have the half that didn't drop wish this did. One last thing before I'm done is that moving a 77 to a b- is not being "more than generous" when you keep everything under that the same.

I really hope you think about how you really messed up a mandatory class for our major that is already hard enough to get into Grad school for.

Dear Stu,

I'm sorry that you had a negative experience in this class. You are correct that this this is a difficult class, and although many students are able succeed, unfortunately some are not. Best wishes to you in your future studies.

Prof. Ergative

I'm actually going for the no-response approach. This particular student came to my office about three quarters of the way through the term and broke down crying about depression and anxiety, and so I helped her get disabilities accommodation for extra time on tests. I thought that might be a more productive approach than telling her to drop the class that she still had every possibility of passing at that point. She's got other problems to deal with, and if sending this email makes her feel better, she's welcome to use my address.

On preview, thanks, heyproff. I'm not going to let it bother me.

on: Today at 05:42:36 pm 
Started by atalanta - Last post by heyproff
I've been posting on the grade-grubbing thread, but I think this email reflects an understanding that the grade will not change, so it belongs here instead:

It has taken a lot of thinking but I am not dissatisfied with my performance in the class as I am with the class its-self. I am not satisfied that I asked you if I should drop the class and you said no. I am not satisfied that I studied over 20 hours for the final alone and still got a 59% and the class average was a 70%. A 70% is barely a C- so that is saying something about the class. Maybe when I take this class again I will have a professor that will actually be able to first not have about half of the class drop and second not have the half that didn't drop wish this did. One last thing before I'm done is that moving a 77 to a b- is not being "more than generous" when you keep everything under that the same.

I really hope you think about how you really messed up a mandatory class for our major that is already hard enough to get into Grad school for.

I'm trying, I really am, to think about how I messed up a mandatory class, but I keep getting stuck on the fact that students who learned the material got high grades, and students who didn't learn the materials got low grades. I search my soul for remorse, but all I'm finding is a heap of "duh"s.

(I think the "more than generous" came from a misreading of a class email I sent out in which I told them the department-wide standards for letter grades, and pointed out that they are "more generous than" the standard 90/80/70/60 boundaries, because they make the B- easier to get.)

Ouch, ergative. If it's any condolence, I'm also "guilty" of messing up a required major course. Half the students didn't want to read, write, or think. I'm sure they are thinking the same as your student. Eh, I'm over it. Wishing the same to you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10