• February 6, 2016

Chronicle Forums

February 06, 2016, 9:31:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 09:10:58 am 
Started by voxprincipalis - Last post by yeastie
The response to your post was a puzzle to me

on: Today at 08:50:03 am 
Started by tenured_feminist - Last post by totoro
We have Outlook and Exchange and mostly I like it. Only problem is now and then I have to rebuild my database on my laptop...

on: Today at 08:46:25 am 
Started by narnceredir - Last post by totoro
For me, getting tenure was never a goal, though it was nice to not get fired. When I started my PhD I didn't know about it and I have moved between other countries where it is not such a big deal. When I did get tenure in the US I did feel depressed because I didn't like the place I was and felt stuck there. I ended up quitting a couple of years later and then ending up in the better place I am now. Also, teaching is a necessary evil much of the time for me, I'm in it for the research. So, yeah, I probably don't have much useful advice.

on: Today at 08:29:39 am 
Started by pathogen - Last post by totoro
Most of us have read each others theses, and I see UMI copies of many of them on bookshelves scattered around.

That sounds very unusual.

on: Today at 08:24:35 am 
Started by tijuanafina - Last post by polly_mer
Listing individual citations is padding and mostly calls attention to the fact that you have so few that you are still counting them individually.

In my STEM field, a CV can legitimately contain a line just before the big list of peer-reviewed publications like:

Citations: ~1300     h-Index: 15  (Web of Science, Feb 2016)

but that's the extent.  Yes, I have published and, yes, people are citing what I have published.

on: Today at 08:05:40 am 
Started by trev4519 - Last post by polly_mer
Keep applying everywhere.

Until you get a signed contract, you don't have this new job. 

I've had that happen to me twice.  People supported me as an internal candidate, wrote fabulous letters of recommendation, and yet I had to get an external job, even once when a job opening was created for me, we did the pro forma interview, and then someone higher up yanked the job.

For one of those jobs, I received a phone call years later asking if I was interested in applying and coming back.  That department really does want me, but they haven't had a permanent job that fits me. 

on: Today at 08:05:20 am 
Started by tijuanafina - Last post by euro_trash
No.

on: Today at 07:51:13 am 
Started by akat6316 - Last post by polly_mer
I am applying for small liberal art colleges and to less extend to community colleges (not highly prestigious universities).

Does your application firmly state:
  • I have experience teaching a 4/4 load of at least two preps each term with minimal to non-existent lab manager help and no teaching assistants/no graders
  • while advising 20 students
  • while excelling at college service including both committees and student group mentoring
  • while also doing outreach activities at least once a semester that include both college students and some identifiable group in the community
?

If not, then we'll never call you.  Most of the things you mention in your original post work against you when we look at the job we need done.  We want to read about at least one year of full-time teaching in an institution like ours--three to five years would be better.  We want to read about how much you love service and outreach, with explicit examples of what you've done during the time you spent at an institution like ours.  If you loved your time on the Assessment Committee, then now's the time to mention it.

We want to read about how you have practiced engaging students who are underprepared and undermotivated as non-majors taking breadth components while still challenging (in the good way) the better students who are majoring in the field.

We want to read about how much you love teaching everything: intro courses (non-major and major), intermediate classes, and advanced classes---ideally in the same term.

We want to read about how you love to teach a wide variety of classes.  What we need is someone who can teach at least four of intro biology, microbiology, A&P, environmental, botany, biochemistry, and cool bio stuff for non-majors.  We don't really care what your specialty is; the question is how far you're willing to stretch with enthusiasm and good will.

Oh, and you're still competing against probably 20 people who also have those experiences and that enthusiasm.  You can be everything on this list and still not make the phone interview list because three of those people could make the case that they know our geographic area (isolated cornfields) and would LOVE to live here.  People who present themselves as more cosmopolitan tends to float farther down the list because bitter experience indicates they live in the big city 1.5 h away and tend to leave after a year or two of that commute.

on: Today at 07:42:15 am 
Started by treehugger1 - Last post by neutralname
The financial advice seems crystal clear.  Don't give away a bunch chunk of money.

What about the other part -- maintaining good relations with the family? It's hard to say much without knowing more. If it were me, I'd want to express sympathy for the niece's problem, but show no ambivalence or temptation to solve her problems for her.  No mixed message.  They might be a bit disappointed at first, but presumably they will move on and get over it.  If they won't, then there are bigger problems to deal with.

on: Today at 07:42:03 am 
Started by tenured_feminist - Last post by citrine
I use Thunderbird with the Exquilla add-on to make it work with Exchange server. Not free ($15/year) but worth it to not have to deal with Outlook. It was very easy to set up. It even lets me respond to events.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10