• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:09:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 159
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball craziness  (Read 387471 times)
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Goes to 11

« Reply #1950 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:24 PM »

The one thing I hate about watching them play in Arlington is all the shots of Dubya and Laura.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
mntwins

« Reply #1951 on: October 25, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »

I agree Anakin.
Go Rangers!!!
amlithist

« Reply #1952 on: October 25, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »

OK.  THAT was ugly last night.  It looked way too much like the Cards of June and July (i.e., men left on base, etc.).  LaRussa is a much milder, better person than I, as evidenced by his post-game interview; I'd have been in a straightjacket, and nearly was anyway.  Craig is stealing in front of Albert?  Really?  And next time, Albert can't lob the bat to protect Craig in the hit and run?  What the F___ is going on, boys?

And what the hell was that with the phones?  Seriously?  Are y'all using dixie cups and string down there?

OK....breathe.......the boys are back in town, and all will be well.  Unless Noah is seen building an ark, which may well happen, from what they're saying. 
anakin
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #1953 on: October 25, 2011, 3:07:19 PM »

OK.  THAT was ugly last night.  It looked way too much like the Cards of June and July (i.e., men left on base, etc.).  LaRussa is a much milder, better person than I, as evidenced by his post-game interview; I'd have been in a straightjacket, and nearly was anyway.  Craig is stealing in front of Albert?  Really?  And next time, Albert can't lob the bat to protect Craig in the hit and run?  What the F___ is going on, boys?

And what the hell was that with the phones?  Seriously?  Are y'all using dixie cups and string down there?

OK....breathe.......the boys are back in town, and all will be well.  Unless Noah is seen building an ark, which may well happen, from what they're saying. 

Tay-haas in six, baby.

I agree with you, amlithist - LaRussa (and Washington) = class act(s).

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
jonesey
All-Purpose Savage, Barroom Sociologist, and

« Reply #1954 on: October 26, 2011, 7:41:36 AM »

The one thing I hate about watching them play in Arlington is all the shots of Dubya and Laura.

That's really the reason I can't stand Texas: The Bushes. 

Also, they're from Texas, which seems to have cornered the market on everything I can't stand politically in this country.  And don't throw "Austin" at me.

Jonesey, I know you're a being of sensitivity and refinement.

Hanging out at the home of leftist zealotry.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #1955 on: October 26, 2011, 8:55:20 AM »

Also, they're from Texas, which seems to have cornered the market on everything I can't stand politically in this country.  And don't throw "Austin" at me.

So you would root against a sports team because you hate the politics of its home field?

Ooookay.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
scampster

« Reply #1956 on: October 26, 2011, 9:06:16 AM »

So you would root against a sports team because you hate the politics of its home field?

Ooookay.

Yes. If I have no particular allegiance to either team, I need to find some reason to choose one team over the other. And it being Dubya's team is as good a reason as any.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
dr_alcott

« Reply #1957 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »

Ooookay.

Yes. If I have no particular allegiance to either team, I need to find some reason to choose one team over the other. And it being Dubya's team is as good a reason as any.

The Rangers' association with Dubya is the only reason I hesitated to cheer for them. What else do I know about them? Very little. But once they started playing the Cards, I jumped on the Rangers bandwagon. (Sorry, Amlithist.)

Go Texas!

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
jonesey
All-Purpose Savage, Barroom Sociologist, and

« Reply #1958 on: October 26, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »

Hey, Bush is the Texas Rangers (and vice versa). 

So, yes, I root against teams owned by politicians I don't like.  Plus, like I said, I generally root against Texas in, well, everything, because it's Texas, the state that brought you George Bush, George W. Bush, and Rick Perry. 

But I don't care about the Cards, either.  As far as I'm concerned, baseball season was over when the Yankees and Rays were out.

Jonesey, I know you're a being of sensitivity and refinement.

Hanging out at the home of leftist zealotry.
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #1959 on: October 26, 2011, 7:37:39 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, baseball season was over when the Yankees and Rays were out.
Hey, at least you made it that far. For me, baseball season was over when the Pirates lost a 20-inning game to Atlanta and couldn't figure out how to help their bullpen afterward. Of course, that was back in July.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
southerntransplant

No recess.

« Reply #1960 on: October 26, 2011, 8:47:08 PM »

Hey, Bush is the Texas Rangers (and vice versa). 

So, yes, I root against teams owned by politicians I don't like.  Plus, like I said, I generally root against Texas in, well, everything, because it's Texas, the state that brought you George Bush, George W. Bush, and Rick Perry. 

Texas also boasts three Tier 1 universities and Johnson Space Center. I guess your blind dislike for a state you admit you've never ever been to has stoppered up your perspective.

You don't like Texas, fine. I know you have your flag to fly. But there's more to it than Perry and the Bushes.

(And as much stick as W gets for being president, he was a lot kinder to Texas universities than even Ann Richards was.)

Carry on.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

southerntransplant

No recess.

« Reply #1961 on: October 26, 2011, 8:55:52 PM »

I'll also add: Go Texas!

ST, anti-Bus***e.

anakin
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #1962 on: October 27, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »

This game is freaking unbelievable.

southerntransplant

No recess.

« Reply #1963 on: October 27, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »

Extra innings...

barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #1964 on: October 28, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »

Extra innings...

Yup.  The tension mounts...

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 159
  Print  

Jump to: