• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to avoid becoming chair?  (Read 26774 times)
dept_geek
SPAF by decree, documentor of local meetups, and
Distinguished Senior Member

through a glass darkly....

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 6:19:44 PM »

All true enough, but don't forget that some people really are terrible at administrative work, and if they have enough insight to realize that they should not be chair, they should be allowed to do other committee work instead, where they will do less damage.

But remember that you would have a secretary or two to help with (guide?) much of the administration.

Only if you are really lucky. We have one and a half secretaries for a dean, chair, and a significant chunk of the college-level word processing duties (there are some folks still out there who need a word processor-er.)

Cutbacks'r'us.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Quote from: testingthewaters
When in doubt, add chocolate.
csguy

Computer Science faculty

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »

All true enough, but don't forget that some people really are terrible at administrative work, and if they have enough insight to realize that they should not be chair, they should be allowed to do other committee work instead, where they will do less damage.

But remember that you would have a secretary or two to help with (guide?) much of the administration.

Only if you are really lucky. We have one and a half secretaries for a dean, chair, and a significant chunk of the college-level word processing duties (there are some folks still out there who need a word processor-er.)

Cutbacks'r'us.
You're a half secretary up on us. Add an ever increasing administrative load on chairs and I'll admit I've about had it with this gig.

Our motto: "we have no money"
sinead

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 5:35:13 AM »

You're almost a full secretary up on us - we share our department secretary with three other departments - and the secretary doesn't work in the same building as faculty offices and department classrooms!
csguy

Computer Science faculty

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 12:46:05 PM »

You're almost a full secretary up on us - we share our department secretary with three other departments - and the secretary doesn't work in the same building as faculty offices and department classrooms!
Actually the dean has a secretary. I think I might have met her once. There are some things she might help with, I guess.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: