• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:18:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Night! "Irene"  (Read 105300 times)
august
Member since 2004, and finally a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2011, 8:09:07 PM »

The bands are hitting us now.  It is very obvious that these are bands too, we get hit with a huge torrential downpour and gusty winds that have downed some branches, for about two minutes, then back to normal, moderate rain.   Cyclical. 

"All you progressives have done is to elevate this duck man."
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2011, 8:12:13 PM »

Urban Legends and hurricanes.

http://www.snopes.com/science/hurricane.asp

I thought there was something about my memory of "taping the windows," and it seems that it's pointless (and gives you work afterwards getting the stickum off).  And who would have thought that plywood is not necessarily the savior one one would think unless salvation is very carefully orchestrated.

Note to Pry--lovely on this side of the Sound as well, the classic "calm before the storm."  Also agree with the encomium on electricity.

A friend, however, has forwarded some predictions that "Irene's" strength might be less than recently thought, tho' still no picnic.  Still, the current eye path seems to have it pass right over me.  Just like "Gloria."  Sigh.

Offered shelter to friends whose house is maybe five feet above sea level, and within a quarter of a mile of open water.  I am one-hundred feet higher, and several miles inland, so I can laugh at "storm surge," but will definitely scream at falling trees.

The Sound was awesome today. It was deserted and the water was like glass--plus it was a beautiful sunny day. I had never seen the Sound so quiet and unchoppy. We went to Northport.

As for New Yorker evacuating--Bloomberg is a dramatic wus.

s***. Our mayor just said people who live in low lying areas by the water should prepare to evacuate. That would be

Where the hell are we supposed to evacuate to? Chicago?

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2011, 8:12:52 PM »

The bands are hitting us now.  It is very obvious that these are bands too, we get hit with a huge torrential downpour and gusty winds that have downed some branches, for about two minutes, then back to normal, moderate rain.   Cyclical. 

You guys get clobbered every time.

marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2011, 8:49:43 PM »

Keep us posted as long as you have net access, and stay safe.  I've been on the NC coast during hurricane prep and aftermath, and it's no fun at all.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
august
Member since 2004, and finally a

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

Keep us posted as long as you have net access, and stay safe.  I've been on the NC coast during hurricane prep and aftermath, and it's no fun at all.

Thanks!

Things are good at the moment.  The bands are getting closer together, and they have the area under a tornado watch.  That is what worries me most.  I was caught in the last tornado outbreak, driving from Duke University to Wilmington.  It was terrifying. 

"All you progressives have done is to elevate this duck man."
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »

A new Irene thread has been started in Meet and Greet -- because hardly anyone knows to check this childboard for recent updates.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »

A new Irene thread has been started in Meet and Greet -- because hardly anyone knows to check this childboard for recent updates.

No one has checked this board in years.

2clueless
How did I become a

In the classroom, with the red pen

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »

I will also volunteer to serve as a midwest relay contact; just PM.

Clueville would be an evacuation-by-plane from anywhere in the path of Irene, but we have a, um, rather large and cool event happening right now, so it might be a lovely few days, if anyone wants to evacuate to Clueville; I could take two people easily, more if needed. Pry, you're more than welcome!

Sometimes I can't sleep
I can't keep all these feelings at bay
I am rage, I am sorrow and grief
All alone in my way.

- Ferron, "Stand Up," Phantom Center
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: