Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1687/2791) > >>

lohai0:
Quote from: polly_mer on April 29, 2013,  7:16:46 pm

Ah, I was unclear.

What I want are the magic words that I can say at the beginning of the semester so that I have very, very few instances grubbing for the handful of points after every assignment instead of people coming to ask how to do better on the upcoming assignment that is similar.

Something like "Dearest students, if you start the work early enough to ask questions and turn in a pretty good assignment, then you won't be that student I dread seeing who wants to whine after the fact.  If you do become that student, then I will laugh in your face about how you are putting your effort into the least useful part of the class", but more professional.

This is my anti-grade grubbing policy, which is on the syllabus:

Re-grading policy: If at any point in the semester you feel something was graded incorrectly or your points were not totaled right, you must see me within three class days. In the case of arithmetic errors, I will fix them immediately. If you want something re-graded, you must provide the original assignment and a written explanation of why the question should be re-graded. If you are justifying your answer was also correct, you must provide one source in addition to your textbook (two total) in your written explanation. If the amount of points would make a difference in your final grade I will consider your explanation at that time.

This is the third semester of this policy and it works well for me. Except in cases where I added points wrong I do not engage with grade grubbers. Since most grade grubbers are anti-work, they don't write the explanation, or don't write it in time. There are no extensions on re-grading requests. I get their original work back with the regrading memo, which makes it harder for them to appeal their grade at the end of the semester. Then any of these I get from students go in a folder at the bottom of my desk, so there is a cooling off period. After all the final exams are graded, I take the re-grading folder out of my desk. All appeals that will not make a difference in the final grade are recycled unread. So far, no appeal has survived that initial purge, but if one makes the cut some day, if the explanation is reasonable I'd probably give it to the student.

I keep a stack of the regrading policy typed on half sheets of paper at the beginning of the semester. Everyone who starts grade grubbing gets one. After about three assignments, the stack goes back into the bottom the desk until about two weeks left in the semester, when they forget. When I hand them out I go all faux-helpful and carefully explain all of the work they must do this week to get their assignment regraded.

lohai0:
Double posting, but that is because this is completely different and I need to tattle:

When I came in to the office from my 5k power walk into school covered in sweat, I intended to just throw down my bag and go hit the gym shower. Imagine my surprise to have a sloppy drunk student 'standing' there, swaying but more or less upright, try to grab my butt on my way to my desk. (Why yes Grad U is in a time warp so it is always 1955 here, why do you ask?) You see, he was not one of my students; he was here to see my office mate. Why, you ask? Well, see he came to let her know that he was so drunk from last night. (Besides the thwarted butt grab, I believe him. Even if I had no nose, he was so hammered that he had to lean against the wall before trying to lift the bottle of pedalyte to his mouth to drink. Even that took two tries)

At this point, you might wonder why he thought my office mate might care. Well, he staggered over to our office to ask for an extension on the test that was today because he too drunk to take the exam, but that was a reasonable state of being, because today was his birthday. She is letting him take it tomorrow, or if his hangover is really bad, Wednesday. But no later than that, really! <stern look here>. I had to go leave the office and be horrified somewhere else for quite some time after that.

mountainguy:
Good grief, Lohai0! Perhaps he's been partying with the student who made a pass at you last spring. In any case, that is not okay, and if any student (mine or not) had tried to do that to one of my grad school officemates, I would have blown a fuse.

I came here to post a comparatively minor gripe about grade-grubbers, but now I'm outraged enough on your behalf that I don't quite remember what it was.

chaosbydesign:
Quote from: lohai0 on April 29, 2013,  7:56:31 pm

Double posting, but that is because this is completely different and I need to tattle:

When I came in to the office from my 5k power walk into school covered in sweat, I intended to just throw down my bag and go hit the gym shower. Imagine my surprise to have a sloppy drunk student 'standing' there, swaying but more or less upright, try to grab my butt on my way to my desk. (Why yes Grad U is in a time warp so it is always 1955 here, why do you ask?) You see, he was not one of my students; he was here to see my office mate. Why, you ask? Well, see he came to let her know that he was so drunk from last night. (Besides the thwarted butt grab, I believe him. Even if I had no nose, he was so hammered that he had to lean against the wall before trying to lift the bottle of pedalyte to his mouth to drink. Even that took two tries)

At this point, you might wonder why he thought my office mate might care. Well, he staggered over to our office to ask for an extension on the test that was today because he too drunk to take the exam, but that was a reasonable state of being, because today was his birthday. She is letting him take it tomorrow, or if his hangover is really bad, Wednesday. But no later than that, really! <stern look here>. I had to go leave the office and be horrified somewhere else for quite some time after that.

I can't believe she's letting him take the exam later. It's his damn fault he was too drunk!

bioteacher:
Quote from: lohai0 on April 29, 2013,  7:56:31 pm

She is letting him take it tomorrow, or if his hangover is really bad, Wednesday. But no later than that, really! .

I'm horrified by this.
I'm outraged he grabbed you. He needs smacked with a case of cluebats. And then we need to apply them to your office mate. Why does he get an extension? No one forced him to drink himself into this state.

I'm getting grade grubbers, and I HAVE lots of no-begging policies on the CMS and in my syllabus. The special students -I'm looking at you, entitled pre-med wanna bees- don't think the policies apply to them. They want to help people, after all.

So do I, which is why the grades will not be changed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page