Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1687/2496) > >>

yellowtractor:
Quote from: barred_owl on March 02, 2013, 12:35:23 AM

I need a daily reminder...I will not care more than the students do, I will not care more than the students do, I will not care more than the students do.

That is all.

Barred_Owl, do not care more than your students do (about things relating to them, anyway).

There.  You have been reminded.

barred_owl:
Quote from: yellowtractor on March 02, 2013, 12:36:18 AM

Quote from: barred_owl on March 02, 2013, 12:35:23 AM

I need a daily reminder...I will not care more than the students do, I will not care more than the students do, I will not care more than the students do.

That is all.

Barred_Owl, do not care more than your students do (about things relating to them, anyway).

There.  You have been reminded.

I <3 you, YT.  Thank you!

mystictechgal:
Quote from: cc_alan on March 01, 2013,  1:03:28 PM

Quote from: mystictechgal on March 01, 2013, 12:55:36 PM

Quote from: pathogen on March 01, 2013,  2:11:26 AM

Quote from: westcoastgirl on February 27, 2013,  3:37:47 PM

All I can muster is "wow, just wow."

A student came to my office to correct me about something I'd talked about in class (something summarized by one of the most prominent scholars in my field). It also happens to be my specialty. That's fine. I actually like when students are engaged enough to want to probe the issues. But that's not what was happening.

She/he was dead wrong. I explained very clearly (without being condescending and without mentioning the "dead wrong" part). Even after this, she/he offered herself/himself as the person to consult with in order to properly learn. What disturbed me is as the conversation went on (with me being what I think in retrospect was too nice and apologetic), this person refused to acknowledge what I was saying and remained sullen.

I don't mind when students correct me, ask for clarification or otherwise (and that's happened before), but this was of a breed I'd never seen.

This is kind of driving me crazy. Perhaps I'm totally off-base, but I have a small, sneaking feeling that students do not walk up to my older, male colleagues and correct them about their teaching of class material.

Some do. Had a prof who showed a picture of a seal (a head shot) and kept calling it an otter. One of the trad age students finally had enough. She corrected him. He argued with her. I supported her, although she shouldn't have needed it; she's one of my former teens and works now as a seal (and, occasionally otter) keeper at the zoo. She knows what seals and otters looks like. After I backed her he checked the caption on his photo. It was, indeed, a seal.

How did he react when he realized he was wrong?

Alan

Heh. The first sentence of the post following your query answered it. He wasn't happy. He took it in relatively good grace. Being human he had an excuse: there were so many photos... he could have sworn that he remembered that this one had been labeled as a seal... but, he admitted his mistake with good humor.

He's a good guy. I don't like all of his pedagogical methods, and we've had some discussions about them. (Discussions. Not diatribes, and not one-way.) We ended up spending an hour or so yesterday talking, about a variety of things, after I finished my classes and poked my head in to say "hi" when I was in the vicinity of his office. I respect him and would never presume to tell him how to do his job. A lot of it is just about pedagogy in general, much as we talk here. I am not particularly eager to take his classes, although he wants me to, but he knows his stuff. I enjoy talking with him. I count him a friend, and I think he would say the same of me. We'll meet in class again at some point, and it will be fine.

baleful_regards:
<sigh>

Catching up on my written observation notes from Student teaching observations.

Two down. Three more to go.

Normally I am far more prompt than this but I hit some kind of unholy union of having all job candidates on campus and all ST's "lead" weeks.

I just wrote the one that was the most difficult. I am having a glass of wine and a bath and then returning to polish off the other three.

blackadder:
I'm currently sitting in a reserved room to provide a midterm exam review for my online class. 8 students out of 53 showed up, and left pretty quickly by my accounting. Many, many more begged to have a review and promised to be here. And half that showed up just took out their pencils and paper as if I were going to lecture on a whole semester of content despite my clear explanations that I would not be doing that.

Me: Do you have any questions?
Several student(s) paraphrased: Well, I haven't really started looking at the study guide/learning objectives yet.

BANG! Bang, bang, bang.

The exam is in 2 days. Good luck with that people. I am so not doing this again for the final exam. "Fool me once..."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page