• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:54:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else selling a house?  (Read 89767 times)
docmama

« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2012, 2:16:55 PM »

The title of this thread stresses me out.  We moved from grad school city to new job city two years ago, when the housing market in grad school city was down 25% from when we bought.  We've been renting the house since, but there's been no improvement in the housing market since we moved and in fact it's still going down.  I live in fear that we will never sell that house.  On the plus side, there's no mortgage and the rental income actually covers expenses. It could be worse.

octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2012, 9:52:30 PM »

Closing now moved to 4:30 tomorrow (was supposed to be in the morning). Sheesh. I wired the money on Monday so we are already broke, but it would be nice to know the mortgage has actually  been paid off and whatnot.

The dollar amount we had to pay was about $1,500 less than we expected, which was nice, however small that is in the scheme of things.

In other news, our landlord here in Octopolis has given us six months to get a mortgage (technically, he could demand one in 15 days which ain't gonna happen). So, at least we can wait on that. 

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »

It's done. And,they owe us $1,200 so we should havebjustnenough to pay off the small loan by June.

Love your neighbor.
fishprof
After the spawning run is over...then what?

« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

Yeah!  Octo, you give me hope of unloading my albatross  house.

I made the mistake of looking at houses in the area for future purchase.  I shouldn't have done that... now I want....

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

Congratulations! Soon, the great feeling of relief and freedom will sweep in like the tide.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
schoolmarm

« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2012, 1:23:53 PM »

I can't even describe the relief I felt when the house closed!  Hope you get that same feeling, Octo!
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2012, 2:16:47 PM »

It's done. And,they owe us $1,200 so we should havebjustnenough to pay off the small loan by June.

Sorry about that, I suck at typing on the iPad, apparently.

We have to close on the new (to us) place (i.e. the one we've been renting for the past two years) by October 31, so now we keep up the  mad dash to save to pay off the small loan and then to have some money to pay down, or at least pay all the closing costs, for the new place. It's a never ending cycle.  But at least we are no longer paying for two places. Yea.

Love your neighbor.
compdoc

« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2012, 4:26:13 PM »

We've had a discussion on a possible buyer. That's about as vague as it/they were.
compdoc

« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2012, 1:03:22 PM »

Octoprof, Did you get the loan paid off in June? How's the getting ready to buy in October going?

We have two offers on our house! I am glad. It means that we will close this summer, one year on the market. Given the markets (and the fact that we listed it in August), that isn't terrible.

My dad's house was 2.5 years on the market. My brother's house has been on the market for 19 months.

Houses around here are selling, just not well.

Assuming we close on this, we will not have made any money on the house. But given that we lived in it for 12 years, that means we will have had 12 years of free rent. That's amazing in this market.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2012, 3:38:08 PM »

Octoprof, Did you get the loan paid off in June? How's the getting ready to buy in October going?

Yes, we paid it off in May. We are slowly saving for October, starting from zero.

Love your neighbor.
compdoc

« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2012, 9:53:11 PM »

octoprof, Well, the start from zero thing isn't fun. The paid it off in May thing is wonderful, though.
fishprof

« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2013, 5:24:54 AM »

Resurrecting an old thread - but the length of time since the last post is almost exactly equal to the length of tie since I last put my house on the market (again).  It had been off and on several times over the last five years, but now, wonder of wonders, we may have a buyer.

Sort of.

They gave a lowball offer of 130k.

We need 160k to make 1st + 2nd+ savings = offer.

We've countered at 162,500.

Here's hoping.  This has been quite the saga.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
ranganathan

« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2013, 8:24:36 AM »

Resurrecting an old thread - but the length of time since the last post is almost exactly equal to the length of tie since I last put my house on the market (again).  It had been off and on several times over the last five years, but now, wonder of wonders, we may have a buyer.

Sort of.

They gave a lowball offer of 130k.

We need 160k to make 1st + 2nd+ savings = offer.

We've countered at 162,500.

Here's hoping.  This has been quite the saga.

Good luck, fishprof! 

We noticed in yesterday's paper that a house that had been on the market at the same time as us (2011) has been relisted.  According to online sources, it's now listed at 30% lower than it was in 2011.  This makes us feel better about accepting an offer 10% below our list price.  PS I absolutely love our new house and location!

I just wish people were more like dogs--ready to learn and make friends with no private agenda.
fishprof

« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »

Thanks.  They countered at 140.

Good, but not good enough. 

$150k back to them.....

MrsFishProf is very excited because this house is the last vestige of my 1st marriage, and is the anchor preventing buying a house for us and Smolt.

Pleaseohpleaseohplease accept....

fishprof

« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

Double post, but perhaps I'm talking to myself.

We got them to $150k.  That means $150K + ALL of savings = 1st Mortgage + 2nd Mortgage + Realtor commission.

I have a lawyer friend who will do the closing and set up a payment plan.

But the 5 (10?) year saga is ending.  Home inspection today....fingers crosses.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: