• July 25, 2016
July 25, 2016, 2:18:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: So... what have you REREAD lately?  (Read 10527 times)
francie_
The Really Cheerful
Distinguished Senior Member

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:39 pm »

I was  a huge fan of The Prydain Chronicles as a kid, especially Taran Wanderer, so I bought a set to reread as preparation for when my niece will be old enough to be given a set of her own. I'm shocked by how much I forgot.
Oh!  Now you've gone and reminded me...I have to dig those out of whatever box they're still in and read them again, even though I probably have most of it memorized.  Eilonwy was probably the first princess character I ever encountered who had motivations beyond "be princess; find prince".

Yes, yes, yes to both posts, especially about Eilonwy.  I gave my son that series as a set.  It's on his bookshelf still.  Summer reading, here I come!

This really belongs on the thread about books we liked as kids.  Off to see if  the Search Function will bend to my will . . .

I like your devious nature, Francie.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2016, 8:38:37 pm »

Mary Renault's Alexander books. I love them so much.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2016, 9:40:33 am »

I recently re-read Catcher in the Rye.  I had previously read it as a (ahem) somewhat younger adult, pre-offspring.  Strangely, I found the main character much more tolerable the second time around.  Maybe having raised a rebellious teen son allowed me to have more sympathy toward Holden. 

Even more curious, I was reading it as part of an English project for a suspended HS senior boy whom I was tutoring.  He didn't care for Holden.  Part of the assignment was to 'asplain to an adult why we should cut Holden some slack, which made for interesting, role-reversed discussions.

I like your devious nature, Francie.
catherder

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2016, 9:12:30 am »

Mary Renault's Alexander books. I love them so much.

So do I. What a good way to get through the heat and humidity of this weekend. Maybe a little ouzo on ice to go with...
formerlyirhack

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »

Rereading A Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones. It's pretty cool to see how well-planned out the series is. Chapter 2 or 3 book one - dire wolf killed by stag's antler, for one example. All the details I didn't notice the first time or forgot - such as Jorah Mormont being exiled due to selling poachers to slavers - ironic given his later devotion to Daenerys, breaker of chains (among her many titles).
DonnaNn

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2016, 8:05:17 am »

Seriously planning to reread "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts, my favorite.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2016, 4:11:20 pm »

George MacDonald's Lilith.  What a long strange trip.  I can't believe I made it through this as an 11-year-old.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
paultuttle
wondering how in the world I became a

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2016, 10:07:13 am »

I'm currently rereading--based on what I've recently set down, open, in four different locations in the house (office, bedroom, kitchen, and living room)--the following:

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion
Elizabeth Moon's Remnant Population
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Identity
Louis L'Amour's Comstock Lode
Robert Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy
Mary Norton's The Borrowers Avenged

Nothing is more terrifying than Texans on ice.
iclaudius

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2016, 5:52:47 pm »

I usually don't reread books. There are already too many books I haven't read but would like to eventually.
However, I have reread Graves' I, Claudius and its sequel in two languages. Given my moniker, this isn't a surprise, I guess, but this is the book that got me into history. Furthermore, I have reread Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. I understand that it's written from a thoroughly modern perspective, but still it's highly enertaining. Hated his sequel though. There I could guess the major plot points from the first chapter.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: