Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1693/2775) > >>

cgfunmathguy:
Quote from: corny on April 30, 2013,  3:28:04 pm

Quote from: 0susanna on April 30, 2013,  2:56:49 pm

Student's desperate attempt to garner extra credit for knowing something about literature:

"Many people have talked about Beowulf being a good read so I took the time to read that. {NB: Beowulf was not on the syllabus}. In return I learned the pattern of 'love' within their journey and how so many aspects of life involve 'love'."

Apparently he read the fanfiction Beowulf, that tells of the inspiring "love" between Beowulf and Grendel's mother. Or perhaps between Beowulf and Wealtheow. Or between Beowulf and Unferth. Or all three.

What about between Beowulf and Hrunting? No one should be so attached to a sword that he gives it a name. I'm just saying.

Are you kidding?! That sword saves Beowulf's life. Not only does it need a name, it should have the best seat in the mead hall at all celebrations, for without it, there would be no celebrations.

dr_alcott:
Quote from: biomancer on April 30, 2013,  3:49:07 pm

Quote from: sciencegrad on April 30, 2013, 12:20:47 pm

Quote from: biomancer on April 30, 2013, 12:06:24 pm

So.... I've got an update on ASS (Adult Snowflake Student).  First, she got 30/75 on the exam, and that was with me grading generously on the essays.  She currently has a D in the course, mostly because she did fairly well on the first two exams, for which I gave her the "planned" make-up instead of the evil make-up.  I'm now quite certain that she's using the delay tactic not only to get more time to study, but to ask people what was on the exam.

But that's not the update, this is:

Two weeks ago she asked if she could take the final exam a day early.  I don't remember what the reason was (medical appointment or something?), but my response was "Sure, if you will take it over at the Tutoring Center" (so I don't have to deal with you in person!).  She said she'd make an appointment with them, and I emailed the Tutor Coordinator to make sure that the appointment actually got made - and it was, for 9AM today.  Yesterday I wrote the exams and delivered copies for her and one other student who takes exams at the Tutoring Center.

This morning at 9AM, ASS actually shows up, but the exams are locked in the Coordinator's office, and the Coordinator had an emergency at home and so arrived late.  The Tutor assigned to proctor the exam calls the Coordinator, who calls Campus Security to come open the office so the Tutor can fetch the exam.  In the five minutes between the Tutor calling the Coordinator and the Security officer coming over to unlock the door, ASS decides she has better things to do and leaves.  Coordinator has left two phone messages for ASS (who is a regular in the Tutoring Office) to come back and take the exam.  So far there is no further sign of ASS on campus.  Coordinator then calls me to tell me what has transpired.

Anyone want to lay odds on (1) ASS showing up tomorrow for the final exam with everyone else; (2) ASS whining to the dean-equivalent that I'm not adequately accommodating her needs, or (3) ASS showing up the day after grades are due demanding to take the exam?

The twist is that ASS actually hired the person to set the Coordinator's house on fire or otherwise cause the emergency at home.

The home emergency seems unrelated, and I really don't think ASS is organized enough to hire a hit man.

Further update:  An hour after the allotted time for the exam was up, ASS left me a voice mail complaining that the exam wasn't available and she had other things to do and had left campus.  I've sent her an email detailing when she can make this exam up, and informed the dean-equivalent about the situation.  I also talked further with both the Tutor and the Tutor Coordinator.  Apparently when the Tutor told ASS that the exam was behind a locked door and they needed five minutes to get Security to open the door, ASS was extremely rude with the tutor.  Dean-equivalent has also been apprised of that.

My money is on a combination of options 2 and 3 - ASS will call/email me next week after grades are due demanding to take the exam, and when I tell her that she had her chance this morning, and I'd given her multiple other opportunites this week which she chose not to take, and therefore the score is 0, she will go to the Dean-Equivalent.   I hope that my Dean-Equivalent will respond with a polite version of "Tough $hit!"

ASS is a pain in the tuchus.

biomancer:
Quote from: cgfunmathguy on April 30, 2013,  3:50:23 pm

Quote from: corny on April 30, 2013,  3:28:04 pm

Quote from: 0susanna on April 30, 2013,  2:56:49 pm

Student's desperate attempt to garner extra credit for knowing something about literature:

"Many people have talked about Beowulf being a good read so I took the time to read that. {NB: Beowulf was not on the syllabus}. In return I learned the pattern of 'love' within their journey and how so many aspects of life involve 'love'."

Apparently he read the fanfiction Beowulf, that tells of the inspiring "love" between Beowulf and Grendel's mother. Or perhaps between Beowulf and Wealtheow. Or between Beowulf and Unferth. Or all three.

What about between Beowulf and Hrunting? No one should be so attached to a sword that he gives it a name. I'm just saying.

Are you kidding?! That sword saves Beowulf's life. Not only does it need a name, it should have the best seat in the mead hall at all celebrations, for without it, there would be no celebrations.

There is also Excalibur.  If we broaden the category of weapons, there is Thor's hammer Mjollnir.  I'm totally in favor of naming a sword if it's a sword that performs awesome deeds - but then I'm a sci-fi/fantasy fan.

dr_alcott:
Some of you might remember my posts about my student who is a pregnant domestic abuse victim. Due to these and other problems, she was failing miserably. She was supposed to go on bed rest but kept coming to school anyway, I suspect because it's safe here.

Yesterday she called, in tears, to say that she'd had a miscarriage and was in the hospital for a D & C. I've contacted the person on campus who can help her arrange for a medical withdrawal when she's able to return. Her doctor wants her at home for two weeks, but I suspect she'll come back next week anyway.

In other sad news, right after I found out that a very likable student plagiarized half of a minor assignment, said student showed up in class, crying, and told me that her sister had died the day before of a heart attack. She wondered if she might be excused.

Oh, my aching heart . . .

sugaree:
Quote from: biomancer on April 30, 2013,  3:49:07 pm

Quote from: sciencegrad on April 30, 2013, 12:20:47 pm

Quote from: biomancer on April 30, 2013, 12:06:24 pm

So.... I've got an update on ASS (Adult Snowflake Student).  First, she got 30/75 on the exam, and that was with me grading generously on the essays.  She currently has a D in the course, mostly because she did fairly well on the first two exams, for which I gave her the "planned" make-up instead of the evil make-up.  I'm now quite certain that she's using the delay tactic not only to get more time to study, but to ask people what was on the exam.

But that's not the update, this is:

Two weeks ago she asked if she could take the final exam a day early.  I don't remember what the reason was (medical appointment or something?), but my response was "Sure, if you will take it over at the Tutoring Center" (so I don't have to deal with you in person!).  She said she'd make an appointment with them, and I emailed the Tutor Coordinator to make sure that the appointment actually got made - and it was, for 9AM today.  Yesterday I wrote the exams and delivered copies for her and one other student who takes exams at the Tutoring Center.

This morning at 9AM, ASS actually shows up, but the exams are locked in the Coordinator's office, and the Coordinator had an emergency at home and so arrived late.  The Tutor assigned to proctor the exam calls the Coordinator, who calls Campus Security to come open the office so the Tutor can fetch the exam.  In the five minutes between the Tutor calling the Coordinator and the Security officer coming over to unlock the door, ASS decides she has better things to do and leaves.  Coordinator has left two phone messages for ASS (who is a regular in the Tutoring Office) to come back and take the exam.  So far there is no further sign of ASS on campus.  Coordinator then calls me to tell me what has transpired.

Anyone want to lay odds on (1) ASS showing up tomorrow for the final exam with everyone else; (2) ASS whining to the dean-equivalent that I'm not adequately accommodating her needs, or (3) ASS showing up the day after grades are due demanding to take the exam?

The twist is that ASS actually hired the person to set the Coordinator's house on fire or otherwise cause the emergency at home.

The home emergency seems unrelated, and I really don't think ASS is organized enough to hire a hit man.

Further update:  An hour after the allotted time for the exam was up, ASS left me a voice mail complaining that the exam wasn't available and she had other things to do and had left campus.  I've sent her an email detailing when she can make this exam up, and informed the dean-equivalent about the situation.  I also talked further with both the Tutor and the Tutor Coordinator.  Apparently when the Tutor told ASS that the exam was behind a locked door and they needed five minutes to get Security to open the door, ASS was extremely rude with the tutor.  Dean-equivalent has also been apprised of that.

My money is on a combination of options 2 and 3 - ASS will call/email me next week after grades are due demanding to take the exam, and when I tell her that she had her chance this morning, and I'd given her multiple other opportunites this week which she chose not to take, and therefore the score is 0, she will go to the Dean-Equivalent.   I hope that my Dean-Equivalent will respond with a polite version of "Tough $hit!"

She was there to take the exam, but couldn't wait 5 minutes for the test center folks to retrieve it from behind the locked door because she "had things to do"?! How long did she think it was going to take her to complete the exam?

Just keep giving her enough rope to hang herself - apparently snowflake syndrome knowns no age limits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page