• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:36:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting things out of a (Mac) DVD drive.  (Read 2237 times)
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« on: November 08, 2012, 9:20:19 PM »

So, this afternoon I found a points card for one of my local grocery stores in the pocket of a coat I haven't worn for a while. Not wanting to keep it in my pocket, I put it in my bag. Except I wasn't looking what I was doing and managed to put it inside the DVD drive of my computer (yes, really). It wasn't all the way in -- far enough that I could see it, but too far to use my nails to extract it. Just now I tried to get it out with a knife and pushed it all the way inside. Pressing the 'eject' button doesn't do anything (which I suspected, but worth a try, right?).

Does the fora think I can continue to try to get it out with the knife, or will I be making a trip to the Genius Bar in the near future?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
snowbound

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »

Try this.  It will only work if the card is pretty loose. And if it is not in too far, so you can still see it.

Get a yellow sticky note.  Cut off the non-sticky part and wrap the sticky part round the end of the knife, sticky side outermost. You must attach it securely to the knife with scotch tape, so it doesn't fall off!  Carefully(!) insert knife, in such a way that the sticky sticks to the card. If you're very lucky and the card is not wedge in, you may be able to gently ease it out.
aristotelian

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 4:28:08 PM »

I did something similar--my iMac has the SD card slot directly above the DVD slot and accidentally stuck my SD card in the wrong slot. Turns out their are literally hundreds of posts on tech forums, including a few Youtube videos. Google the model of your computer and see if there are any forums or Youtube videos. The common recommendation is to make a tool in a hook shape (a knife won't work) that is capable of grabbing the object.

Unfortunately I did what you did and tried to get it out before getting advice and pushed it all the way in. My tech guy ended up having to take it in to the Apple Store. Good news is that they did fix it, and there was no damage to the hardware.

temporaryname
Junior faculty,

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 5:47:50 PM »

Another option, though probably not the preferred option, if this is a MacBook: Shut down the computer (shut it all the way downójust closing the lid isn't enough), tip the computer so that the drive is facing straight down, and cradle the computer in your non-dominant arm while striking the downward-facing side of the computer (away from the drive) with the heel of your dominant hand.

Wow, this is a simple process that turns out to be difficult to describe. Basically, you're just directly imparting motion to the computer but not the card in an attempt to get the card to keep moving enough that it shifts relative to the computer and you can pull it out.

It's kind of scary to be throwing your laptop around like that, but they're sturdier than we sometimes give them credit for, and I've successfully use the method a couple times over the years.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 5:52:37 PM »

I got it out. The knife did actually work as it wasn't as far in as I thought it was, and I managed to push it out enough to get hold of it and remove it.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: