• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:57:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inquiry on Leadership Challenges in Higher Education  (Read 3020 times)
tanglesandwaves

« on: November 07, 2012, 1:39:17 PM »

Hello!

I am a graduate student in Higher Education Administration currently enrolled in a class on Leadership issues in Higher Ed.  I'm giving a presentation about the way university leadership is currently evolving to address societal and institutional issues.  Some of the issues that I have focused on and am presenting case study materials about are the changing roles of women in Higher Education, sustainability and Higher Education, and fiscal responsibility in public land grant universities as they try to compete with other institution types. 

I've done my research and gleaned information from scholarly resources but I also wanted to speak with people candidly about issues they are seeing at their (or local) institutions and innovative ways leadership has been changed to address them.  Given that people are afraid to speak outside of their institution about institutional problems or growth areas, I thought I would come here where the users are presumably good sources of information and anonymous. 

This could also serve to be a really interesting and helpful dialogue that we can all learn from.  I am grateful for any information or input you might be able to provide.

Thank you in advance,

Tangles
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 2:11:06 PM »

People here are not generally receptive to homework questions being posted.

In all seriousness, my understanding of research ethics wouldn't permit me to reply to this on this not-so-very pseudononymous forum even if I wanted to.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
dale1
Eventually, if you hang around long enough, they'll make you a

My mother-in-law would point out God's gray hairs.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 9:02:59 PM »

Good grief, tangles is giving us in higher ed admin a bad name. As if it weren't already in the mud a few inches at least.

Scholarly research, tangles. Qualitative inquiry. How about trying some actual qualitative methods in order to get at "what's going on" in the field? Asking random people who happen upon this website is not exactly research...

Dale (original)
sockington

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 8:53:23 AM »

Channeling Tolstoy, I would say that every unhappy university is unhappy in its own way.  About leadership? How about the difficulty in getting good leaders to work at third and fourth tier tuition driven schools?
tanglesandwaves

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 9:40:47 AM »

Thank you, Sockington. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: