• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Book writing support group  (Read 17656 times)
dinamica

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 3:40:16 PM »

Hi all,
I was completely immersed in committee work Monday, Tuesday and this morning but I'm back. I had my first meeting at 8 on Monday, and at 9 yesterday but since I didn't start till 10 today, I did some writing in the morning. It felt really good. Something I noticed is that I yearn to come back to writing after a few days of another type of work. However, very often when I have undivided time it is hard to for me to focus on writing.

Welcome Elliot and Cityprof. It's great to have you on board!

Cityprof: it is so hard to write when your kids are so small. When mine were very little and I had to finish my first book, I would wake up at 5 am to get 2 hours of writing before the kids woke up. I didn't do this for a very long time, just a few months in order to get the book to the press. What I noticed was that getting work done early in the morning was wonderful because I already felt I had done some work, but also because I kept rumiating on it as I went about my day, washing dishes, driving kids around, lining up at the checkout counter of the supermarket. 
I hear you about rejections! They are terrible.

How's your paper coming along, Corny?

I-tried: I think it is a great idea to do some work that will put you in the zone for your sabbatical writing.
dinamica

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 4:18:19 PM »

I stayed until 2 am watching election results and now I am falling asleep at my desk. Will plow through a bit more. I am organizing my material for a new chapter.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 4:53:51 PM »

Glad to hear you're getting back into the writing, Dinamica! I was up too late watching election stuff last night too.

Something I noticed is that I yearn to come back to writing after a few days of another type of work. However, very often when I have undivided time it is hard to for me to focus on writing.

I'm exactly the same way. In some ways it's harder for me to stick to a research schedule during breaks than during the semester, because during the semester my writing hours are so precious. I need to get a bit better about that, in fact.

The paper is coming along, though it's not quite where I hoped it would be. That's ok - I've cleared my schedule tomorrow morning and Friday morning to get it finished.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
dinamica

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 5:17:20 PM »

The paper is coming along, though it's not quite where I hoped it would be. That's OK - I've cleared my schedule tomorrow morning and Friday morning to get it finished.

Corny, I should be around a lot for the next two days if you want to commiserate. Good writing!
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 7:13:23 PM »

The paper is coming along, though it's not quite where I hoped it would be. That's OK - I've cleared my schedule tomorrow morning and Friday morning to get it finished.

Corny, I should be around a lot for the next two days if you want to commiserate. Good writing!

Well, this morning's writing push was somewhat derailed by outside forces that prevented me from getting enough sleep OR getting started early enough. However, I still whittled the paper down quite a bit, which was the crucial thing. Here's hoping tomorrow goes a bit better.

How's everyone else's week progressing?

dinamica

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »

I finally had some time to do some work today. I finished getting my materials together so that I can plunge into Chapter 6 tomorrow. I am glad. I had a class today and also got caught up with paperwork. I am mostly pleased.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow, Corny. Sorry today was not what you expected. It's good that you could get at least a little bit of work done.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:06:27 PM by dinamica » Logged
rumpumpel

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 2:30:28 AM »

Hello,

I am trying to add 500 words  per day to an article that needs to get finished. Didn't manage this today since I was teaching, but I am hopeful for tomorrow.

Happy writing everyone.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 9:38:53 AM »

Hello,

I am trying to add 500 words  per day to an article that needs to get finished. Didn't manage this today since I was teaching, but I am hopeful for tomorrow.

Happy writing everyone.

I am going to share this goal.

Maybe not today, as I am home sick. But maybe today after all.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
dinamica

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »

Welcome tinizombie. Sorry you're sick.

What are your writing goals?
dinamica

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »

The first day in a week when I can sit to write first thing in the morning. I don't have a lot of time but I am excited to get a half hour in anyway. I am reading through the material I put together these last few days.

How's everyone else doing?
dinamica

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 9:23:59 PM »

Hello,

Happy writing everyone.

Did you finish the article, tinyzombie? How's everyone else doing?
bcohlan1

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 9:47:50 PM »

I'll join in if you guys will have me.

I need to be concentrating on getting my dissertation published as a book. That's project one. Step one thereof should be actually sending out the book proposal, which I keep putting off in favor of other work. No more!

I also need to be putting in the work required to push a couple of articles through the pipeline.

My despair at the likelihood that none of this work will get me a job is making it hard to put my nose to the grindstone.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 9:51:22 AM »

Hi, Bcohlan1! I know what you mean about wondering whether all this work will get you a job. I tend to think about it by telling myself that at the very least, I'm going to do as much as I possibly can to make myself a strong candidate - including publishing. That way, if I don't get a job, at least I won't beat myself up because I could have tried harder or done more.

My conference paper got finished and the presentation went well. As usual in such cases, much subtlety was lost in the interest of whittling the thing down to 8 pages. However, I also ended up figuring out a lot of other important stuff that didn't make it into the presentation but will be useful for the chapter. So I count the whole thing a success.

Unfortunately, I am also now so behind in my grading that I think I need to take a few days off from research stuff - I may not get back to this until Thanksgiving. We'll see.

Wishing everyone else happy and productive writing time!

tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »

Hello,

Happy writing everyone.

Did you finish the article, tinyzombie? How's everyone else doing?

I did! Thanks for asking. I've already gotten some comments back - I left in a small note to myself, which I usually remember to delete. That's what I get for working on a Friday night while sick.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
dinamica

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 2:09:56 PM »

I am glad you got the article done, Tinizombie. As for the note to yourself, I hope it wasn´t anything too embarassing.

Welcome boclan1: it is discouraging to keep writing if you don't know whether that's going to help you find a job. How far along are you in your book proposal? Do you have anyone who would look through your book proposal and give you feedback. I vote for putting that at the top of your list.

I am happy you got good feedback, Corny. And that you can work that into your chapter. That is for me a huge measure of success. It is so frustrating to put a lot of time into your work and then don't get any feedback (or any useful feedback) at all.

I am having a good couple of days. I am mostly reading and taking notes, but I am feeling I know where my book is headed and I get a lot of satisfaction in this. Have been exercising a lot: yoga yesterday, running today. Lots of walking or riding my bike everywhere. This, I feel, keeps me happy and sane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: